Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Think the Railgun is just for Heavy Tanks? Think again!
Old 02 Apr 2006, 22:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Think the Railgun is just for Heavy Tanks? Think again!

We all know that Av 14 and 13 are what the railgun is supposed to deal with right?
Wrong!
Dispite the Submuntion not being ordinance, it is still powerful enough to penentrate Av 10 on a 5+, and glance on a 4+.
Now what do veichel squadrons generally have as an Av? 10!
So drop a large Blast Template on them and, thack! Dead Squad on a good roll!
Now I know that the Ion cannon is better at light tank cracking light armour, but being able to still destroy veichal squads after crushing the heavies.

Just some foor for thought.

The Math:
67% chance of hitting.
33% chance of Penetrating -> 50% chance of destroying the veichal
16.5% chance of Glancing -> 16.5% chance of destroying the veichal

Ion cannon:
2/3 of the shots hit.
50% Penatrate -> 50% chance of a dead veichal
16.5% chance of glancing -> 16.5% chance of Ka-boom.

Now the Ion Cannon is better at killing light stuff, but it cant even scratch the Heavy stuff, whereas the railgun treats it like tissue paper.

ERR! Math hurts my head, I have to lie down now.

The Mothman
Old 02 Apr 2006, 22:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777
Default Re: Think the Railgun is just for Heavy Tanks? Think again!

wow, never thought of that before.

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
kin7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2006, 22:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Now that there is an interesting application for the submunition, I must admit I never thought of that. Although I also must note that I have never faced vehicles in squadrons before, even if I face that class they are all single vehicle groups. I rarely ever see vehicles used in squadrons anymore. Plus does the template not have to be centered over the vehicle or it will be half strength?

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2006, 22:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would like to note that sumbunitions is actually BETTER than solid shot against most AV10 vehicles. why?

Cause most AV10 vehicles are open-topped. Against open topped vehicles blast weapons cause damage rolls for every hit, giving you twice as many chances to destroy a vehicle.
coolflame616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

try looking at it like this: by using a regular shot and not a submunition you go from a roughly 49.5% chance of doing anything to a 100% chance of penetrating AV10. add to that the fact that you must place any templates so that the hole in the center is over the unit or vehicle being fired upon, the likely result is that you might get one or two models from another unit under the template if they are packed like sardines in your enemies deployment zone.

put simply the best thing for you to use the large blast template submunitions on is a horde based army. heck, I don't even use the template when I'm going up against MEQ's.
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Plus does the template not have to be centered over the vehicle or it will be half strength?
Ordinance only, it is a Blast Weapon, not Ordinance. I face an IG player who decks out in Sentinals, so I discovered this tactic to have use for the railgun after killing off the heavy stuff.

Glad to see my thinking helped out.

The Mothman
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Personally i dont use a railhead (ion cannon since the very beginning) but i do agree that people seem to forget that a submunitions as a ork trukk with warboss for instance gets the opportunity for 2 damaging hits, whereas the solid shot has a tendancy to get stopped by forcefields or armour plates or somehow reduced to a glancing. If you think about it against an AV10 skimmer or hull down transport, the submunitions gives you 2 hits, which will on average give you 1 damaging hit, but with a maximum of 2, whereas the solid shot only gives you 1 hits which will definately damage the vehicles.

Personally i go for numbers on vehicles, rellying on mass of fire instead of one super-gun (i always roll 1's or 2's on the chart....

The ion cannon on the other hand, gives you the opportunity of 3 hits, assigned to all the models in the squad, not just the one under the template. It also works great against AV12 with 2-3 hits causing damage on a 5+ your chances are suprisingly good (trust me ion cannon Vs. vehicles rocks!).
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

try again, page 65 of the rulebook states that if a blast template is not positioned so that the hole at the center of the template is over the vehicle then the strength is halved, that includes ordinance, large blast and small blast templates.

sorry mothman
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I did read it over again and it is only ordinance.
I've used this tactic at GW tournaments and is legal.
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think it might have to do with blast weapons creationg a sphere of equal desruction (thinking plasma cannons, D cannons or fragmentations weapons) whereas ALL ordinance is some short of shell, which whilst dealing a great anti-tank display when it hits directly, is very poor at killing vehicles other than the intended target.

The ordinance weapons are a shaped-charge weapons, whereas most blast templates are designed to destroy a certain volume of space a certain distance away.