Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marker Drone in a Shas'La Team
Closed Thread
Old 02 Apr 2006, 21:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Marker Drone in a Shas'La Team

I'm just starting out with my TAU army, so I'm just going to begin with a Shas'O or Shas'El Crisis, a unit of Kroot and ofcourse the required Fire Warriors.

Since shaving points isn't much of an issue at this time, I was considering using a Shas'ui upgrade, and giving him the drone controller upgrade, and at least one Marker Drone. I figured the Networked Markerlight would make the Shas'la shooting a little more deadly.

Any merit to this idea?
Old 02 Apr 2006, 21:37   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Marker Drone in a Shas'La Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazadvorn
I'm just starting out with my TAU army, so I'm just going to begin with a Shas'O or Shas'El Crisis, a unit of Kroot and ofcourse the required Fire Warriors.

Since shaving points isn't much of an issue at this time, I was considering using a Shas'ui upgrade, and giving him the drone controller upgrade, and at least one Marker Drone. I figured the Networked Markerlight would make the Shas'la shooting a little more deadly.

Any merit to this idea?
Welcome to the forums!

It would be effective, but it might be a little expensive for what you are trying to do. The Marker drone is still going to miss half of the time, and it can not use the Markerlight when the Fire Warriors move. But if you want to play with the new Markerlight rules, it is a good way to get them in without using Pathfinders.
Old 02 Apr 2006, 21:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Simply give your Shas'ui a markerlight, you'll have a better chance of hitting, and it will be cheaper.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 02 Apr 2006, 21:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the quick response!

I wanted the networked markerlight, so that the Firewarriors could benefit. That's why I skipped on the markerlight for the Shas'ui.

Yep, I was trying to find a way of working a Markerlight into the army as soon as possible.

I have no practical experience - obvious - but from reading the new Codex, it seemed that Markerlights (especially networked) were pretty valuable. I'm going to have to play a few games to get the feel tho'.

I did want to give the Shas'o(or 'el) a drone controller, and marker drone, but I was told that this would take away his Independant Character status, as far as targeting went. So that seemed like a mistake.

Shame, it seems like Suits with Drones is still not that good an idea.

Old 02 Apr 2006, 22:03   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

As far as I can tell, the best candidates for Marker Drones are Broadside teams and Static Fire Warriors. Every other unit tends to move too often to make use of it, or is handicapped by the removal of IC status.
Old 02 Apr 2006, 22:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777

you'd have to convert a marker drone though, because as far as I know the stealth sprue is the only thing that comes with one.

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 00:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
As far as I can tell, the best candidate for Marker Drones are Broadside teams and Static Fire Warriors. Every other unit tends to move too often to make use of it, or is handicapped by the removal of IC status.
there good on stealth suits. expsenive but good. not one for the long run but keep the enemy on his toes thought
Old 03 Apr 2006, 01:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

Marker Drones have potential, but theyre too expensive. You won't be able to use both the Networking and the Target Lock, its just 1 or the ither. I'd rather have it cheaper and with ONLY the networking, or ONLY the Taget Lock. Its good to have a team that doen't depend on outside markerlight, and also to have a team that can mark a differnt target than it shoots at but since you cant use both, its a steep price.
(eg mark a Russ for your seekers or railguns while the rest of your team cuts apart the Gurad infantry... *drools*)

"In war, laws are silent"
Old 03 Apr 2006, 02:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
Marker Drones have potential, but theyre too expensive. You won't be able to use both the Networking and the Target Lock, its just 1 or the ither. I'd rather have it cheaper and with ONLY the networking, or ONLY the Taget Lock. Its good to have a team that doen't depend on outside markerlight, and also to have a team that can mark a differnt target than it shoots at but since you cant use both, its a steep price.
(eg mark a Russ for your seekers or railguns while the rest of your team cuts apart the Gurad infantry... *drools*)
Here's an idea:

"Pathfinder Graduates"
3 Man Stealth team
- Team Leader
- Targetting Arrays
- Markerlight
- HW Multi-tracker
- HW Drone Controller
- 2 Marker Drones

200 Points

Their mission? Infiltrate/Deep Strike and eliminate an isolated unit, then sit in the shadows and mark. For another 100 points, you can swap the targetting arrays for drone controllers and marker drones. Now, you may think 90 points for three markerlight shots? pshaw! Three Pathfinders is 36 points! Stealth along with 36" range and Shoot-jump makes a pretty mean team.

"Pathfinder Wannabees"

6 Fire Warriors
- Shas'ui
- Markerlight
- HW Multi-tracker
- HW Drone controller
- 2 Marker Drones
- Bonding knife

150 points

Both of these units are attractive, but argh...marker drones are so expensive!

Now if only the Gue'vesa'ui could take wargear...

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 03 Apr 2006, 03:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm just going to post this here, since this is my next "great Helio idea" and it's relevant to this topic...

Marker Drones in place of Pathfinders.

My premise is two-fold. First, Fire Warriors hitting on 3s is the bane of any army in the game, with few exceptions. Well, frankly it's not limited to Fire Warriors, but to all of our pulse weaponry. S5 AP5 hitting on 3s is something all armies are going to have to learn to fear. I'm not much of a numbers cruncher, both because I'm lazy, and because no game's die rolls will follow the mean. To get your pulse weaponry hitting on 3s, you need markerlights. The more the better.

The second premise is that Pathfinders have traditionally been a fun, but awkward unit to employ, and without doubt are expensive, mostly by virtue of the Devilfish requirement, the chief complaint against which was (aside from expense) how difficult they were to keep alive long enough to make their points back, or simply to affect the outcome of the battle.

In my latest game, against a mixed Tyranid unit of shooting gaunts, 1 MC, genestealers and Zoanthropes, w/2 Lictors (at 1750), I fielded a Pathfinder unit of 7 markerlights, and 3 fire warrior teams each with a markerlight & target lock. The Pathfinders cost roughly 230 points (I had a rail rifle, shas'ui, target lock, etc. and 2 drones). Now, my pathfinders managed to live to turn 5, shooting markerlights only two turns, but with substantive effect.

The Fire Warriors, who were mechanized, had some effect with their markerlights, but obviously not as much as pathfinders due to moving and disembarking from the fish at times.

I got to thinking after that game about the equivalent point expenditures of the Pathfinder unit into four units of fire warriors (rather than 3 and 1 pathfinder). Once I got to thinking about that, I got to thinking about taking units of 9 fire warriors, with both a Shas'Ui and markerlight, and a drone controller and marker drone. Configured, without devilfish (as I play mechanized), said Fire Warrior unit costs 150, bonding knife, Shas'Ui, target lock & markerlight, marker drone.

Now you have one networked markerlight to work for the Fire Warriors (except the other markerlight), and you have one markerlight to fire at anything you want.

By having four teams of these, you now have 8 markerlights, 4 of which are dedicated to Fire Warrior units, four of which can delegate targets for anything. If you are concerned with not shooting markerlights, you have the luxury many times of being very static (which I do not in my games). You should have four markerlights firing each turn, on average, with at least two hitting in those turns. This is half as many markerlights as an average pathfinder gets per turn, however, your markerlights have several 'ablative wounds' to be used before they can be removed from the table, which is something your pathfinders could never say. So your surviveability has been increased by a factor of (I don't do math!) and now you've given your opponent something VERY troubling to decide in how he's going to allocate his firepower.

By means of direct cost comparison of these Shas'Ui markerlight + target lock plus drone controller:
The difference between 10 Fire Warriors (I'm counting the drone as the "10th FW" in this equation) and the 9+drone is 115 versus 150, or 35 points (I know, I'm doing math, but it's not extrapolation, it's linear). Multiply that 35 points times four units, you have 140 points, for half the number of markerlight hits on a BAD turn, but much greater surviveability of your markerlight, and the ability to hit 8 different units with markerlights, as opposed to TWO if you had a pathfinder + shas'Ui + target lock.

Take your Pathfinder unit, at roughly 230 points, and subtract the 140 for the FW + Marker Drone configuration, and you are STILL saving 90 points.

Pathfinders are dead in my army now. I'm going to Fire Warriors + Drones...

Correct my math, of course, I'm sure there are mistakes.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Closed Thread