Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Potential of The New Stealthsuits
Closed Thread
Old 02 Apr 2006, 19:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Potential of The New Stealthsuits

reading the new suit rules and pooint values i was astonised. the ability to bring a support system on every suit made me really happy.

the first thing that usually comes to mind when people see this is targeting array. however there are far deadlier options.

a team of 6 suits and 12 drones is what i use.
they are the best in nearly every way.

everyone always knew that 3 fire warriors can match the suits shooting but with the new drones only costing 10 pts each theres real possibilties.
3 drones are better in every way with 2 exceptions, lower Ld and no stealth, but adding them to the group eliminates those prob. a drone has better accuracy, can pin and has higher initiative. plus having them added adds melee attacks and wounds to the valuable group.

this team costs 300 pts but smaller versions are always an option. consider taking a bonding knife in the larger groups

so i know what my group is gonna have so i'd like to hear what everyone else takes and how they use their suits. do you deepstrike,infiltrate? ill post my strats later on in the thread.
Old 02 Apr 2006, 20:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777
Default Re: Potential of The New Stealthsuits

Bare minimum squad, but with fusion blasters, as my list is in a smudge for points at the moment

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

The best variant i'fe used to far (in performance as well as low points costs) is a unit of 4 stealths with 6 drones. (180 points) which is an affordable, powerful and chunky unit, which is still small enough to hide behind a peice of terrain, but big enough o be able to handle close combat (and come out swingin)
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you add drones to the unit, they also gain the stealth rules
Also...you can only have 1 fusion per 3 stealths, which imo fusions are useless, i mean there ok and all, but they put you too close to the enemy...
if you want to use the 2d6 you gotta be within 6 inches, then jump back 6 inches, then next turn, they move, then assult...
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I might use targetting arrays. Might.

I think the wargear trap is exemplafied by the giant stealth teams people use/make.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 03 Apr 2006, 03:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i agree that fusions are useless on a stealth team but not useless in your army. on deepstriking crisis teams it's and amazing way to kill artillery. one thing you would have trouble with if your using just railguns.

don't waste 10 pts a model for and increase in bs. not for anyone. not only do the new markerlight rules make up for low bs but at 10pts/model it gets too expensive.

i like the point of bring 4 suits and 6 drones tho. i think i'm gonna start there and maybe move up later but i take this bigger squad because i need deepstriking anti infantry in only one elite slot. so the bigger the better.

ok so my stealth strats:
Use some suits to stand infront of your IC to keep him safe. IC protectss him and stealth field protects them.
Pincer attacks, two teams ambush and assault a large infantry squad.
Burning rain, large squad deepstrikes and hails fire down on the enemy.

all in all i know my elite slots are precious in my tau army so they are often the most expensive so i can get the best out of them.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 03:12   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

i have a particularly diabolical scheme to share,6 stealths w/ 2 fusion blasters ad "vre. take the 'Vre and give him the Air bursting fragmentation launcher. im pretty sure you can do this but feel free to kill it.

Old 03 Apr 2006, 03:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't believe a stealth Shas'Vre can take "special issue" wargear, of which the AFP is one. They're restricted in scope to "support systems" and I'm fairly sure not Special Issue.
Furthermore, if one stealth suit takes ANY additional support system, all must take a support system.

The ability to add drones to suits is actually quite good. I'm still a fan of shield drones, simply because my stealths tend to get hit in close combat. But if you go with gun drones and outnumber the stealth suits, you've got yourself cheap ablatives.

I personally DO like the target lock, because 40 points to get 3 shots hittin on 3s is cheaper than a crisis suit. The new theme of my Tau is "Hitting on 3s, wounding on 2s or 3s..." I'm all about hitting on 3s, and with markerlights, I hit on 2s. We're a shooty army. Every single model that dies in shooting is worth the points expenditure because it makes me that much more likely to avoid close combat, or win it if I have to get in it.

I wish the Shas'Vre could take the proximity detonator, because that would have been a default config on my stealth teams...
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 03 Apr 2006, 05:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok so u have markerlights.
WHY WOULD YOU SPEND POINTS ON TARGETING ARRAY IF YOUR MARKERLIGHTING
i dont understand why you would pay so much points for this upgrade.
MATH:
3 with TA shooting IG (prim. target) 4 normals shooting IG both 120pts
9 x 4/6 x 5/6 = 5 12 x 3/6 x 5/6 = 5

the diff is that markerlights, avg squad get 3-4 hits
3 w/ TA 4 norm
9 x 5/6 x 5/6 = 6.2 12 x 5/6 x 5/6 = 8.2

(these numbers change equally with different targets and are shown to refference their maximum potential.)

same point cost but 4 of em are better. especially if u give them drones because drones have better accuracy (TL).
there are some times when u get TA, not when u have pathfinders and not on stealthsuits. plse dont waste your points or support options.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 06:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasoshinova
ok so my stealth strats:
Use some suits to stand infront of your IC to keep him safe. IC protectss him and stealth field protects them.
Won't work. The stealth ability means that Stealth suits can be ignored when targeting opponents, i.e. they don't count for covering ICs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonely tau
i have a particularly diabolical scheme to share,6 stealths w/ 2 fusion blasters ad "vre. take the 'Vre and give him the Air bursting fragmentation launcher. im pretty sure you can do this but feel free to kill it.
Won't work. Only Crisis Shas'vre can take Special Issue wargear, and while I think this is lame, that's how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasoshinova
WHY WOULD YOU SPEND POINTS ON TARGETING ARRAY IF YOUR MARKERLIGHTING
Because that way you don't have to coordinate another unit to get the benefits. Stealth teams work on their own. I don't like needing my stealths to rely on other units. Plus

Here's the list of available support systems:
  • Blacksun Filter
  • Drone Controller
  • Multi-tracker
  • Shield Generator
  • Target Lock
  • Targeting Array

Let's agree that the BSF is a waste. Drone controller is a decent option. Multi-tracker is only useful for a team leader with a markerlight, and only marginally so then. Shield Gen might be worthwhile if you plan on the squad doing a lot of attacking, but is an even worse points sink. Target locks are a waste unless you take a fusion blaster, that model could take out a transport while the rest focus on the unit. What's left? Targeting Array.

The other argument is that if you take a targeting array, you can use your markerlight counters to do other, more fun things, like remove cover saves.

http://RyanCannon.com
Closed Thread