Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth Movement
Closed Thread
Old 01 Apr 2006, 17:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Stealth Movement

I can't recall where, but sometime recently I saw someone saying that Stealth battlesuits should "move 18" to your target, fire, and move 24" back". Now heres the question, how is that possible? thats like... 42" or something of movement! So if someone will please explain how they move like that, I would greatly appreciate it.

PS: Even if they can't move like that, I have heard that Stealths can move pretty fast, how so?
Old 01 Apr 2006, 17:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Stealth Movement

I think he meant that they should move to within 18" of the target so they can fire their guns, they use their jetpacks to move back to about 24" away, thereby keeping their distance, but allowing them to use their relatively short ranged weapons
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 01 Apr 2006, 17:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

don't hae the codex with me now, but they can move instead of assaulting during the assault phase, so they basically get 2 movements per turn.

They can do this because they are equiped with jetpacks and get all the advantages that come with Tau suits

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 17:44   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

no such thing dude. Stealths move only 6' in the moi\vin\ement phase and 6 on the assault phase. Thats the general for all Jet pack troops(which means crisis suits and stealths suits)

I think you have mistaken it with the placement of the stealths. Stealths are better of placed 24" from their enemy as they can move 6" forward and use their guns (which is 18" for the burst cannona nd 12" for the fusion but we will stick with the former) and the retreat 6".

Thus they won't be easily charged by assault troops.
[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 18:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
I think he meant that they should move to within 18" of the target so they can fire their guns, they use their jetpacks to move back to about 24" away, thereby keeping their distance, but allowing them to use their relatively short ranged weapons
seems most likely
Old 01 Apr 2006, 18:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Right, 18" & 24" are referring to the distance between the stealths and their targets. The idea is to Jump (during Mvmt phase), to just within 18" of your target, Shoot, and then Jump back 6" (to about 24" away) during your free assault jet pack move. Hense the term of Jump-Shoot-Jump (or JSJ). With the stealth fields, an enemy will have to rule an 8+ on 2d6 to be able to spot the stealths - that happens only ~41% of the time on 2d6 (you can take a look at probabilities on 2d6 here: http://www.tauonline.org/ViewContent.php?id=121).

Ideally it's better to jump behind LOS blocking terrain, but in situations where that's not possible the stealth suit shuffle is pretty effective.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 23:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle
I can't recall where, but sometime recently I saw someone saying that Stealth battlesuits should "move 18" to your target, fire, and move 24" back". Now heres the question, how is that possible? thats like... 42" or something of movement! So if someone will please explain how they move like that, I would greatly appreciate it.
As above, the missing word there is 'away'. Move to within 18" away from your target, so the burst cannons are in range, then move back away from them, to 24" away, where they're going to have a hard time spotting you (they won't half the time).

The tactic was listed here: http://www.tauonline.org/ViewContent.php?id=7 - in the last Eldar point - though the wording there might be a bit confusing.