Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What about the Tetra?
Closed Thread
Old 01 Apr 2006, 14:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default What about the Tetra?

Everybody is getting all very excited with the new codex, and the new markerlights really give a new breath of life into pathfinders, and certainly make them a potent if not indispensable part of a mech tau army.

However, I don't usually include pathfinders but play with 2 tetras as two separate fast units instead, and had/have plenty of fun with them. I generally have each tetra behind each devilfish of my firewarriors for some added protection, and I can always have them move out in the open for a turn, mark and have them come back to the safety of the devilfish next turn and still mark. I have tried pathfinders, and had mixed results, as they are often targeted early on in the game.

The tetras offer a real advantage over the pathfinder in that they can move 12 and still shoot: A true mech tau unit by definition. Another bonus, is that if you loose 1 tetra, you still have other markerlights on the table. Not the "all the eggs in the same basket" scenario. They also can make the same forward move as pathfinders...

So why don't we see it more often in people army lists. I know they are difficult to get hold (they are FW) and expensive ($), but at 60pts each (with a targetting array and decoy launcher) they are a cheap(ish) way to get a markerlight on the table.

Having 2 separte mobile markerlights moving up and down the side of the table, marking with BS4 everyturn, and then taking evasive action the next turn (if things get a bit too hot) give you great tactical flexibility. They can always move 24 to get objectives at the end as well.

Equipped with a targeting array and decoy launcher, you never have to worry about penetrating hit (as long as you keep moving) and if you get imobilised you can always reroll it.

So, the tetras as an option for those who want to be true mech without static elements, those who are afraid of seeing their pathfinders getting slugged by indirect fire, cut into pieces by overzealous SM, or those who aren't so well versed in their optimal use...

i think so.

Old 01 Apr 2006, 15:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: what about the tetra

The reason they arn't used is because it's illigal to do so without your opponent's say-so... they are not part of the new Codex, so without permission of the other guy, you can't use them.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 15:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

they sound usefull.and they are cool. but FW stuff are too expensive i think
Old 01 Apr 2006, 15:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

As you and others have said they are: Unofficial so require your opponents say so to use and being Forgeworld they are expencive to get ahold of.

Instead of pathfinders I would suggest taking a closer look at the skyray. It has 2 networked markerlights, can be armed with the SMS and has 6 seeker missils. Not bad for a mobile markerlight.

I do wish tetras had been in the new codex, I certainly would have used them. Oh well.

Old 01 Apr 2006, 15:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

They arn't unofficial, I'm pretty sure that IA3 says that you don't need opponents permission to use them. However they aren't tournament legal, its a slight difference.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 15:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think the models look really nice. I suppose for 30BP, they are a bit expensive, but then again you do get two.

As for their legality, i have played with them at GW stores, non GW stores and RTT events in the US, and never had problems so far. Obviously I haven't played in the GT which I think do not autorize Imperial Armour.

I found that players allow them on the table just to see what it does ;D

i suppose the skyray can do the same job with a better armour, but it just doesn't look as sweet.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 15:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

skyray is my choice i think
Old 01 Apr 2006, 15:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sky rays are kick @$$ they are the Taus own answer to the Space marines whirl wind or whatever its called.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 16:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I may have to try out the skyray, cause now that I think about it, it can certainly do the job, perhaps not as elegantly though.

still, for anyone looking for some mobile markerligths, I highly, highly recommend the tetras. Sure they don't pack 6 seekers and don't have an armour of 13, but tetras are as close as you can get to Tau on sleek jetbikes which is one vehicle I think Tau really should have...

Old 01 Apr 2006, 18:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Tau
Sky rays are kick @$$ they are the Taus own answer to the Space marines whirl wind or whatever its called.
Hammerhead with submuitions is closer to that, Seekers and the Wirlwind rockets are quite different things (one being anti tank and the other anti infantry).

Its a shame that tetra weren't included really, as they do have a very specific role that doesn't really tred on the toes of the Pathfinderes or Skyray. Pathfinders are for markerlights in bulk, Tetras are for markers where you need them (primarily a seeker activator rather than an fire power enhancer) and Skyrays are really a missile platform first, and mobile markers second.
Closed Thread