Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mech Tau. (Still don't get it!)
Closed Thread
Old 01 Apr 2006, 07:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to blade_masda
Default Mech Tau. (Still don't get it!)

I'm looking to play mechtau, and I've been to the website, but i still don't fully understand the concept. the printout sheet gave me only the reasons you should play mechtau.

what i don t understand is
-do all fire warriors have to be mounted in a devilfish?
-are not kroot allowed?
-can HQ choices only be shas'o/ shas'vre, not ethereals?

please, please clear this up for me, i am very confused.

also, a link to any other usefull information would be GREATLY appreciated

-Shas'el Dal'yth Tsua'm Ukos, in refference to the 13th Repentant Adeptus Astartes of Overlord Deathwing
Old 01 Apr 2006, 09:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Mechtau. ! still dont get it!!! :"(

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_masda
what i don t understand is
-are not kroot allowed?
There are no laws, it's just an approach to the game... technically if you want to play full mech, yes, all troops must be mounted and so that leaves out kroot. You can take an ethereal because he can be attached to a FW unit and thus put in a DF as well.

However, most people play "hybrid" which involves a few foot troops and then a some mechanized elements (i.e., the FWs in the DF). This is my preferred method because I find it much more flexible and tactically forgiving - a single turn of lucky fire could see half your pure mech force crash and burn. Plus I love kroot. Let me repeat that, I love kroot. 8) I find a mounted FW troop or two, work really well with several units of infiltrating kroot - I almost never try to pull the "first turn assault" with the kroot because that wastes their best abilities, namely the ability to put themselves into cover and force opponents to deal with them. You're much more likely to bog down a unit or two with kroot in cover than trying to assault with them b/c of the kroots' low I and lack of armor save - a foe decent in close combat will likely kill most of your kroot before they even get to attack.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 10:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

This: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9493.0 - should hopefully explain the different playstyles for you..
Old 01 Apr 2006, 13:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

technically, yes. mech tau is short for mechanised tau. and mechanised implies vehicles. the rule of thumb is that all units in a mech-tau army are capable of moving 12" a turn.
vehicles- allowed.
suits-allowed.

-are not kroot allowed?
by the above definition, no. but in terms of fluff, the answer is yes. remember, tau cadres are mechanised whilst the line troops are typically footslogging auxiliaries. the mechanised element shows up when there's trouble, so technically, the army most people play is a mech force running to the aid of a few Kroot squads in trouble/holding the line. so a fluffy mech-tau force can still contain kroot.

new rules mean you must have at least one suit commander. which to me is only right and fluffy. you can take an etherial though. have him join an 11man Fire Warrior team and he can hop around in their transport with them.

Suit commanders are more useful than an etherial in mech armies. etherials are twin-linked morale rolls, essentially, and an all armoured tau force is very resistant to morale.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 01 Apr 2006, 15:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_masda
Preferably.

Quote:
-are not kroot allowed?
Kroot are allowed so long as they are not your primary troops choice.

Quote:
Ethereals can be taken so long as they are mounted in a 'fish (attach them to a squad of warriors). However, with the new rules you might want to skip him.

Of course, you don't have to abide strictly by these rules. My tau army includes both static fire-warriors and a pair of broadsides! Pure mech (no kroot even) is actually pretty weak...
Old 01 Apr 2006, 18:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I guess the real point of mechTau is about as simple as "put an av12 tin can around your firewarriros, so they wont get shot up during the game, and can move around the table twice as fast as usual, ignoring cover, avoiding bad situations and abusing vulnerable ones." abusing the vulnerable situations is something like 3 devilfished rushing up, unloading a hoarde of firewarriors, who rapid fire to dust some poor devestator squad.. then load up and zoom safely away next turn, because that devestator squad was left unsupported, and alone, and is now dust. (that the FoF, btw)

Thats the basics. To impove upon it, you dont leave anybody stuck foot slogging along at 6" per turn... meaning everyone else should have a powersuit around them, and a jetpack on their back, in order to keep fluid and fast. Meaning that you should never be trapped or assaulted.

Now, with that basic definition layed out, to your questions:
Kinda.. yeah. I hope its more obvious why by now.

-are not kroot allowed?
Not really, but they will be left behind, or ball and chain the rest of your fast army near them to support them, so theyre really more of a hinderence. BUT there are some mechtau armies out there who put an infiltrating kroot pack in a forest, mostly to make a nuisance of themselves, while the mechanized part of the army does their thing.

Again, Not really. but in the new codex, the ethereal has to be in line of sight to be beneficial, meaning that when hes riding a devilfish the suits jetpacking around get no benefit, and the firewarriors that hes attached to may wonder why they need to be Fearless..

So, hopefully I helped clear a lot up about MechTau. I may have got a few points wrong a bit here and there, but the essence is true, I believe. In summary: MechTau armies try to keep their troops safe in armor, everyone moves 12" a turn to also keep safe, and at critical moment stomp on the enemy with little or no danger to themselves, ensuring that a majority of them are around by the end of turn 6, which is huge for games where victory points and scoring units determine the winner.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 20:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/.../contents.html
Old 01 Apr 2006, 21:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to blade_masda

thank you for the help, i now undersatand.

-Shas'el Dal'yth Tsua'm Ukos, in refference to the 13th Repentant Adeptus Astartes of Overlord Deathwing
Closed Thread