Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Noob needs help with tactics to beat GW store guys (Testing it out on Saturday)
Closed Thread
Old 30 Mar 2006, 22:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Noob needs help with tactics to beat GW store guys (Testing it out on Saturday)

Hello people visiting or responding to this post. I am a new Tau player and i have a 1000pt army which i plan to take to GW this weekend and battle one of the store guys. > I hope to win but I have no clue what tactics I should use with my army....... so that is why you are here, to hopefully help me perfect a tactic to beat the evil GW store guys for the greater good! (I have found that they usually use chaos space marines, but i could be wrong)

My army that I will be using and need help with tactics is:
;D
Tau Army List:

HQ
-Shas’O
-Missile pod
-Plasma rifle
-Multi tracker
-112 pts

-Shas’El
-Missile Pod
-Plasma Rifle
-Multi Tracker
- Stimulant Injector
-97 pts

Elite
-4x Stealth Suits
-120 pts

Troop
-12x Fire Warriors
-120 pts

-12x Fire Warrior
-120 pts

-13x Kroot
-2x Kroot Hounds
-103 pts

Fast Attack
-6x Gun Drones
-72 pts

Heavy Support
-3x Sniper Drones
-Spotter
-80 pts

-Hammer Head
-Rail Gun
-Smart Missile System
-Multi Tracker
-Target Lock
-Decoy Launcher
-180 pts

Total Points 1004 pts

I hope you can think of a tactic for me to beat them.... :-\
Thank you for any replies in advance. ;D
Old 30 Mar 2006, 23:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to comanchieflier
Default Re: Noob needs help with tatics to beat GW store guys (Testing it out on Saturday)

That hammerhead is a floating target. Maybe break it down and get a devilfish also?
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezing
comanchieflier recieves a mobile phone that can only do "leet speak" messages.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 23:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Noob needs help with tatics to beat GW store guys (Testing it out on Saturday)

I unfortunately do not have a devil fish at the moment but i hope to get one when i get more money.......
Do you know of any tactics to use this army??
Old 30 Mar 2006, 23:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Noob needs help with tactics to beat GW store guys (Testing it out on Saturday)

Use the kroot as screens, and concentrate your fire, don't spread it out too much.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 23:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Noob needs help with tactics to beat GW store guys (Testing it out on Saturday)

Thank you Davey Dude Man ;D
I shall use that tactic for the greater good. ;D
I am just wondering what is your little picture under your name of? (Is it a Zelda thingy)

Old 31 Mar 2006, 00:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn
Default Re: Noob needs help with tactics to beat GW store guys (Testing it out on Saturd

Ditch the gun drones. Unless you want to ditch something else so you can include markerlights, the drones probably aren't worth it for pinning.. and in any case where you're taking a carbine and you can't pin, you should probably take more pulse rifles.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 15:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Noob needs help with tatics to beat GW store guys (Testing it out on Saturda

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchieflier
That hammerhead is a floating target. Maybe break it down and get a devilfish also?
Now I couldn't disagree with that suggestion more. A floating target? HHs are one of the toughest nuts to crack in a Xenos scum army due to the combination of AV13 and the skimmer rules as long as you've included decoy launchers. Once in a while an opponent gets a lucky hit but my HHs survive more games than not. The only trick is trying to keep them behind LOS-blocking terrain during deployment because they can be vulnerable the first turn if they don't move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydudeman
Use the kroot as screens, and concentrate your fire, don't spread it out too much.
Real screening died with the 3rd edition, but the kroot do force LD checks for target priority. The key to kroot is infiltrating them behind LOS blocking terrain or into some sort of area terrain in order to give them a cover save. I would agree that fire concentration and target selection is key - you need to destroy the fastest threats in your opponent's army first, especially if they're designed to assault.

You're at 1004 points which is 4 points over a 1000 point limit (and 496 points under for a 1500 point battle ). Being over marks you as a noob (or someone who doesn't know how to follow the rules).

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 16:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

deployment will be very important to you. Use the firewarriors to create 'islands' of firepower by getting the best terrain piece around, and use your JSJ units to pick on 1 target at a time.(a resonably central positioning is key here)

I would use the drones ass deepstrikers to take out enemy vehicles like rhinos, basilisks, dreads and defilers and other tanks from behind. It works suprisingly well.

One very nasty anti space marine tactic, is to deepstrike a helios (twin FB + shield) suit right next to his commander and insta kill his ass, reducing the entire army's leadership by 2. It makes pinning and supressing marines that much easier. its a balsy move, but so far its always paid off.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 19:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

LOL i shall try some ballsy moves :P and I'll make sure that i am using the available cover to the best of my abilities ;D and waldo pepper of course I'm a noob that why my posts name is "noob in need". I'll take out a kroot if I need to shave off 4 pts.