Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Heavy support "light"
Closed Thread
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Heavy support "light"

I'm planning and slowly building a 500p Tau patrol, and I have just a couple of XV8 in the mix.
They are monats, and with very different roles.
One is called fireball, is a suit with twin linked flame throwers, vectored retro thrusters, and stimulant injectors. Trying here to make him survive!

But my point is my second one...
I like to think of it as a Broadside light
TLMP, drone controller and 2 Marker drones. The only ML in all my army.
The missiles and the markers have the same range, so I'm planning to just put him as back as possible and keep him shooting, without moving so the drones can do their job.

At least that is the idea, what do you think?
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Heavy support "light"

That is 4 hard points (twin linked = 2 hard points). Is there a rule that allows for you to have 4 when you take the specialized stuff? The Fireball looks like a great Tyranid hunter, although a bit short-ranged.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

In 500 points, I think that's a reasonable idea.

There's an inefficiency:
Make him a Team Lead for 5 points, and make the drone controller Hard Wired. You now have 1 extra hard-point.

Now put a Targeting Array on him, and those missiles are hitting on 3s to begin with, prior to markerlights, so you don't need TWO marker drones. Nor do you need twin linking. Instead, sell back a missile pod (you now have a hard point option again) and instead of two markerdrones, which screw up your toughness, make one a shield drone. Now your majority T is 4 and your majority Sv is 3.

Add Iridium Armor to it, since it doesn't rely on mobility, and you and your shield drone now save on 2s. (Note this REQUIRES him to be a Shas'Vre not just a team lead).

You still have a hardpoint left. Put on another weapon of your choice, maybe the AFB or CIB (if he's the Shas'Vre type) or just good-old burst cannon or plasma, you've saved some points, increased your armor save and ability to hit, and cost yourself about the same.

Your cost: 103

My cost:
Team Lead option, single MP, Target Array, HW Drone Controller, 1 marker, 1 shield: 97 with one hardpoint left to fill

Shas'Vre with single MP, TA, HW DC, 1 Marker 1 Shield, Irridium, and cyclic ion blaster: 137 with all hardpoints filled.

Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Black Behemoth
That is 4 hard points (twin linked = 2 hard points). Is there a rule that allows for you to have 4 when you take the specialized stuff? The Fireball looks like a great Tyranid hunter, although a bit short-ranged.
It's not, neither are.
TL flamers = 2, Vectored = 3
(note that this model needs to be a Shas'Vre to have the Special Issue Vectored Retro Thrusters). I don't think this is a smart suit allocation for a Shas'Vre.

The second is TL MP for 2 hardpoints, 1 more for a drone controller.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 30 Mar 2006, 20:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok, lets see.

First, I thought that since the stimulant injector is in Wargear, not in Support Systems, it doesn't take a hard point. Am I correct?
And yes, he is a 'Vre, is the only way to use VRT, and the only use for it is to be near the enemy... is a gamble, I know. Anyway, he is not going alone, he is going to have near the XV25 unit, as a support.
And yes again, the Fireball is planned against 'nids. Hate them...

And about Centaur (the other one).
The Marker Drones are not supposed to be for the suit, but for my FW or XV25, that's why I'm putting 2 there.
About TL against TA, I saw a comparison here somewhere, and for only one weapon, it was more effective TL. TA is better if you plan to use 2 weapons.
I was trying to make him as cheap as possible to be able to field the Marker Drones. This is the cheap way to have marker lights in the army.

I did some numbers, you can have ML with Drones, Path Finders, FW and XV25.
Having it in FW or XV25 is not a good idea, because it affects mobility (have to run!). PF have a minimun cost that is too high for a 500p army.
So a lone Crisis with a couple looked like the best idea, as a support for the rest of the patrol, and the missiles are really an bonus, not the main point of all.

The rest of the little army are 12FW, a Warfish (loved the nickname!) and 3 Stealths.
Plus Fireball and Centaur, is a 494p

Any use for 6p?
Old 30 Mar 2006, 22:04   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

fusion blaster on the a stealth would be good to figt the enemy vehicles.

Old 30 Mar 2006, 22:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

At 500p, there is not much to be worry about in the armor department, really.
I wanted to bond my Fw, but that is more than that.
Closed Thread