Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First Tournament, Some advice would be appreciated.
Closed Thread
Old 30 Mar 2006, 04:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Jebz Send a message via Yahoo to Jebz
Default First Tournament, Some advice would be appreciated.

Hi Guyz,

I could really do with some help. I will hopefully be entering into my local Club Tournament in mid July, with my new sparkling Tau army, and could do with some advice and some trimming down here and there.

The Tournament is the standard five game tourney with the games already known.

Game 1 is Cleanse at Alpha + VP with 1500 Points;

Game 2 is Secure and Control (4 Loot Pieces) at Gamma with 2000 Points (1500 + 500);

Game 3 is Seek and Destroy at Omega with 1500 Points;

Game 4 is Recon at Omega with 2000 Points (1500 + 500);

Game 5 is Take and Hold at Alpha + VP with 1500 Points.

I know it is just one Force Organisation Chart for the whole 2000 points (1500 and 500).

I seem to have an idea that I will take Deep Strike units in the 500 points army add-on because I can use them to come onto a certain position on the board, Game 2 near loot counters, and Game 4 in enemy deployment zone.
However, this is where I am at present. I don’t really want you to make out a list, just to give some advice on whether I have gone OTT on say Seekers or the other way around in not having enough of them. Advice on what sections to use in 500 points would be appreciated e.g. HQ (I think I need one more) etc, etc…

I would also appreciate if you can tell me what sort of enemy units I could expect to see arrive via deep strike themselves.

One other question I have is, is it seen as the norm to have Fire Warrior units of 6?
This seems to be kind of crappy. I have studied several tactics for Tau, although it is hard at the moment as the new army book is so new, but I have found that large amounts of people seem to field Fire Warriors in batches of 6.

As I have studied other armies tactics' and army composition, it also seems that Space Marines seem to do this more than anybody else and yet they are always moaning about such and such only had two units of 6 Fire Warriors.

So some clarity on this would also help me out. I don't want to do something that is not considered appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

Commander SilentStrike Tournament Tau* ???

1500 Points ..//.. 1515

HQ
Commander SilentStrike: Shas’O, XV8 Battle Suit, Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Shield Generator, HWMT = 132

Elite
6 XV25 Stealth Suits: Shas’ui, Bonding, HWDC, 2 x Shield Drones = 220
2 XV8 Battle Suits: Shas’vre, Airbusting Fragmentation Projector, Plasma Rifle, Multi-tracker, HWTL. Shas’ui, Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi-tracker = 147

Troop
10 Fire Warriors: Shas’ui, Bonding, Markerlight, HWTL = 130
12 Fire Warriors: Shas’ui, Bonding
with Devilfish: Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers, 2 x Seekers = 250

Fast Attack
8 Pathfinders: Shas’ui, Bonding, HWDC, 2 x Shield Drones
with Devilfish: Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers, 2 x Seekers = 256

Heavy Support
Hammerhead Gunship: Railgun, SMS, Target Array, Decoy Launchers, Target Lock, Multi-tracker = 180
2 XV88 Broadside Battle Suits: Twin-linked Railgun, SMS, A.S.S., Shas’ui Team Leader, HWTL, HWDC, 2 x Shield Drones = 200

The second part of my army will come when I have resolved the 1500 point section. Any ideas would be welcomed though.

500 Points

1 HQ probably Shas'O adapted to close quarters to bully enemy off loot counters, Fusion, Plasma, stims, vectors, etc...

Edit: Changed with Faolin and Crisis 541 advice.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 04:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: First Tournament, Some advice would be appreciated.

Um...... what you've written so far is 1000 points. If that's what you meant to happen, it wasn't really very clear. If I'm right, post up the extra 500 points. If I'm not, tell me and I'll get back to you.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 30 Mar 2006, 05:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin
Um...... what you've written so far is 1000 points. If that's what you meant to happen, it wasn't really very clear. If I'm right, post up the extra 500 points. If I'm not, tell me and I'll get back to you.
The actual points so far are 1545. I know I am slightly over but I am sure with some sound advice I can trim that away.
I would also have to make up a 500 point add-on force but I would be limited to the single FOC amount.

So I could choose....

1 more HQ
1 more Elite
4 more Troops
2 more Fast Attack
1 more Heavy Support
Old 30 Mar 2006, 07:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oops! My bad. :-[

Okay.... suggestions........

I'd say scrap either the Pathfinders or the FW's in a Devilfish. Those two units are both very expensive, and fairly vulnerable. You could get two more Fire Warrior squads for the cost of one squad in a Devilfish. In my experience (which admittedly isn't an awful lot, as I play static) you either have to completley mechanize or don't mechanize at all. Remove the FW's in Devilfish and you could have two more Markerlights, and 8 more Fire Warriors. You could even scrap the squad mounted Markerlights for even more Fire Warriors, and rely on your Pathfinders. This may comprimise markerlight flexibility, but as you should be focusing fire anyway it shouldn't be a problem.

One other question I have is, is it seen as the norm to have Fire Warrior units of 6?

Seen as the norm? No where near. Accepted tactic? I'm not really sure. The only thing that would be considered cheesy was if you took two units of 6 Fire Warriors to fill up the FOC and filled the rest of your army with Hammerheads. That's called "powergaming".

Are there any special rules about the 500 point add on? Does it come into the game later or is it just extra troops added to your army?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 30 Mar 2006, 12:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Faolin, Thanks.

Quote:
Are there any special rules about the 500 point add on? Does it come into the game later or is it just extra troops added to your army?
The 500 points are added to Game 2 and Game 4.

They must still only expand the force as if it were a single detatchment.

They can not add to a unit within the 1500 point choice. For example, you could not add a bodyguard to Commander SilentStrike HQ unit, but you could get another HQ choice and have a bodyguard with that choice, because we have a single HQ choice left in the single detatchment.

I am still throwing around a few choices with the 500 point choice.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 12:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Now Faolin I disagree with you on taking out the FOF or the Patherfinders. In my experience the FOF is very useful to put a squad on loot or in the enemies deployment zone.

To Silent: I think that you should drop the markerlight on the mounted FW squad and the Stealths. The reason is that the FOF squad will be moving almost the entire game and never get a shot off, and the Stealths rely on JSJ, the markerlight takes away the ablity to JSJ because if you shoot a heavy weapon then you can't move in the assualt phase. Schools starting so I'll get back to you on the other tweaks in the list.

Old 30 Mar 2006, 15:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the thoughts.

Quote:
To Silent: I think that you should drop the markerlight on the mounted FW squad and the Stealth's. The reason is that the FOF squad will be moving almost the entire game and never get a shot off, and the Stealth's rely on JSJ, the markerlight takes away the ability to JSJ because if you shoot a heavy weapon then you can't move in the assault phase. Schools starting so I'll get back to you on the other tweaks in the list.
Thanks Crisis, that was really helpful.

I didn't realise that the Markerlights on the 12 FW & Stealth's, would be wasted with those units. I suppose this will come with experience.

An add on question would you ever arm a HQ choice with three weapons e.g. Flamer Plasma and AFP with a HWMT or would that just loose out on points.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 15:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well about the Commander with three weapons, I first had it like that but then I tried a Sheilded Helios and liked that. The three weapons really are a waste in my veiw, maily because you will have the Plasma Rifle which is 5pts less than the nomal suit. A real waste of points in my veiw.

And try splitting the two crisis into two montats. Now the reasoning behind spliting that up is that the AFL crisis will be up lose and personal while the fireknife will like to JSJ at a distance.

Next take two FW from the DF team and shift them to the static team. it is far easier to fit 10 FW behind a DF than 12. ;D

Good set up on the DF, but the HH already has a TA so use a Disruption pod to get glancing in good positions with out moving. If you want then you can drop the multitracker on it ;D Free ten points.

Next if it still to large of a force cut back on seekers, one or two aaught to do it, maybe, really bad at math.

Hope that helps yopu in your tourny. And be prepared to fight SMs, not being nsulting only there were maybe six SM teams in one tourny here in the south. :P good luck

Old 31 Mar 2006, 10:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hope that helps yopu in your tourny. And be prepared to fight SMs, not being nsulting only there were maybe six SM teams in one tourny here in the south. Tongue good luck

That's interesting. The most common army in my area is Eldar. But I live in a rather small country town so that dosen't mean alot.

Now Faolin I disagree with you on taking out the FOF or the Patherfinders. In my experience the FOF is very useful to put a squad on loot or in the enemies deployment zone.

I'm not disputing that FOF is useful, but as it stands now the entire army has 22 Fire Warriors. Silentstrike dosen't have the weight of fire to dent really hard stuff (Space Marines) or to kill all the little gribblies in time. Even if all 22 of his shots kill every single turn (which is impossible believe me) he still wouldn't be able to take out horde armies in time. I have 12 more Fire Warriors then SilentStrike, and most of the stuff he has (Stealthsuits, Hammerhead, etc) and I found it really hard to kill stuff quickly enough. With only one FOF squad you are very vulnerable to unlucky dice rolls (if the enemy gets first turn or has Assault Marines you're in serious trouble)

He needs to get rid of something. I just thought the Pathfinders were the least important thing in his army (as he has markerlights on everything else anyway).

Oh, by the way, I agree with you on taking the markerlight out of the Stealth Team. You need JSJ to stay out of spotting range.

Old 31 Mar 2006, 15:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Having just come in 2nd (I missed by 4 pts of winning the tourney ???) in a tourney using the old 'dex I can offer a bit of advice - take it or leave it as you see fit.

#1 - You're better off with a single broadside than a pair - kill one and the other is forced to start taking "on his own" tests every turn.
#2 - 4 railguns is probably too many because you're taking them at the expense of enough firepower to deal with other targets. There are often a plethora of AP 2 weapons out there and so broadsides are still pretty risk IMO. So, in line with #1, I'd drop one of the broadsides.
#3 - Use the points to buy some kroot - they are incredibly useful both as a cheap firebase and for board control. If you end up on a table with several forests, they will pay for themselves easily.
#4 - For static FW teams, two units of 6 FWs is better than a single unit of 12. It makes them a lot harder to get rid of with a couple heavy bolters (the bane of FWs), forces your opponent to target two different units, and gives you a lot more tactical flexibility. I wouldn't bother with the shas'ui upgrades for them because they're expected to die anyways.
#5 - A shas'el is a lot more cost effective than a Shas'o.
#6 - I would take a 2nd HQ (shas'el) over a crisis suit team any day. He's infinitely more durable (thanks to the IC rules), has better stats, and you don't have to worry about morale. That 2-suit team is a disaster waiting to happen for the same reason as #1 above.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Closed Thread