Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can races Permanently ally as one army???
Closed Thread
Old 13 Mar 2006, 00:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide
Default Can races Permanently ally as one army???

I have a few Space Marine units, but I really want the tau, more-but I don't want to unuse or sell my marines!* And I CANT afford to create 2 armies! Basically, I want to know if I can merge the marines with the Tau that I don't have enough cash yet to buy!!! Any insight from the non-"I just started this account and haven't even played a real match yet!"* people!?

*sorry, hyper American teen*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Old 13 Mar 2006, 00:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Can races Permanently ally as one army???

Normally, you can't sorry, but if you give a cool fluff reason, your opponent might let you do it. Some fluff would be nice, to see why marines allied with the Tau.

P.S. what's the ship in your avatar? It looks like a Dedalus class ship from Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 01:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

DING DING DING!!! thats the Dedalus!! Stargate used to be my only reason for life until Warhammer 40k. anyway, i did have a story, basically, I heard space Marines aren't as loyal to the emporor as they're cracked up to be! so they desert, somehow...
Quote:
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Old 13 Mar 2006, 01:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

because not everyone has enough money to buy everything they need for their army, if your opponent agrees then its ok. also you could try using the marines as fire warriors, as long as you let your opponent know beforehand and he or she agrees.
I personally have a friend that is new to the game and financially depleted, so he plays his chaos army using old plastic fantasy skeletons as demons and regular space marines that I had extra for his chaos marines. right now he's saving up to buy the balrog from the lord of the rings line for his daemon prince. He won't be going to tournament with the army, but as long as hes playing me or his dad then there isn't really any problems.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 02:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

wow, thats alot of not-chaos! hehe! i just need some tau then! and someone to play against! heheh
Quote:
Old 13 Mar 2006, 05:14   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

On the subject of SMs that aren't loyal to the Emperor, I'd just like to chime in.

You have basically a few types of SM from what I can determine:
1- Space Marines loyal to the Emperor (usually these are first founding chapters and can be noted by the fact that they call him "The Emperor")
2- Space Marines loyal to the Imperium (The Emperor is referred to as "The God-Emperor".)
3- Lost Sons (They've gone Rogue for one reason or another, but they're not necessarily
4- Chaos Marines ('nuff said)

Mind you, I haven't done extensive studies into the history. I've been playing a grand total of about 8 months at this point and I'm primarily focused on my initial army, the Tau. However, most of my opponents (who happen to be good friends) are long-time players, as in they remember second edition. They debate this sort of thing on a pretty regular basis.

Most of them seem to feel that if the Inquisition were to seriously go after... oh, say... The Blood Angels (a possibility. The Inquisitors have quite a few reservations based off of battle reports concerning this Chapter), then it's going to cause a Civil War within the Imperium.

Right now, you have Emperor sitting on his Golden Throne, wishing for someone to change the damned television channel and get him a cheeseburger, while "his" Empire is run by the 12 High Lords of Terra. The Lords apparently spend almost all of their time building their own little bureaucratic empires within the Imperium and generally causing factionalization. They do this instead of what they're supposed to be doing, which is communicating with the not-quite-dead corpse on the Golden Throne and following his directions for ruling the Empire.

The Inquisition is, by and large, loyal to the High Lords. A good deal of the Chapters are more loyal to the High Lords than the Empire. Primarily because it's all they've known. The primary exceptions are the Dark Angels, the Blood Angels, the Space Wolves and the Ultramarines. Each has their own reasons. The Blood Angels and Wolves are under suspicion of corruption because of the flaws within their geneseed. The Dark Angels are suspect because they're too aloof. And Calgar's boys in blue are being deemed just too good at what they do. Plus, they haven't managed to find a flaw in the Ultramarine geneseed, which has the High Lords a little suspicious considering everyone else demonstrates flaws. Most likely course things will take is someone from within the Imperium, probably the Inquisition in one form or another, will lower the boom on the Ultramarines. It could be the Witchhunters accusing Calgar of being corrupted because he demonstrates too much luck/skill on the battlefield(these guys still remember the last warleader who turned on them. Some guy named Horus?). It could be the Ordo Xenos declaring him heretic for allying with Eldar and (though I can't find the fluff to prove it) Tau against Hive Fleet Leviathan. Either way the result will be everything goes to shit in the Imperium.

No matter how you cut it, a sufficiently imaginative person can come up with a justifiable reason for SMs to ally with anyone who's not Ork, Necron, Chaos or Dark Eldar. I can't see those four. I suppose someone could argue that they'd team with Chaos against the Necrons (assuming both armies were to realize just how serious a threat this millenia-old opponent actually is), but personally I'd see them putting bolter fire into both groups and going out in a blaze.

Just food for thought.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 11:39   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTide
DING DING DING!!! thats the Dedalus!! Stargate used to be my only reason for life until Warhammer 40k. anyway, i did have a story, basically, I heard space Marines aren't as loyal to the emporor as they're cracked up to be! so they desert, somehow...
Its Daedalus Class Deep Space Carrier, also known as the X-304.
May I ask for the sake of asking, which ship? The Daedalus, the Odyssey or the so far un-named X-304 given to the Russians so they could keep the gate?
(Stargate Lover Extrordinaire)

Back on topic, I see no reason why not, as long as it is a friendly game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 19:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to VF-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightline
No matter how you cut it, a sufficiently imaginative person can come up with a justifiable reason for SMs to ally with anyone who's not Ork, Necron, Chaos or Dark Eldar. I can't see those four.
Just food for thought.

Ever heard when the firsts salvos of the gothicwar started?

Quote:
"If he wasn't a god-damm greenskin, i would make him my captain"
An admiral shouting about a damgood ork fleet commander, i could see a reason, perhaps they have "tamed" them, not like with exploading colars or stuff but like when a warlord comes and bashes their heads, "Im big, you aint", only its a chapilian or a space marine comander

Just make sure they are not space marines left astray during the damocles crusade, it has been done nuff times

(or perhaps they just allied with tau becuse they are fighting chaos blahblah)

Ruleswise, you need at least, hq and 2 compulsory troop choices, if you have those , you are home free, if your oponent acepts your fluff

Its up to you, and regarding fluff of battle, let me quote one of my favourite one:

Quote:
Sky is the limit
MalVeauX about battle fluff
Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 19:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Or just say that they are the remains of some task force, and then the Tau come and attack the same enemy. Instead of fighting them, "the enemy of my enemy is friend". At least, until the battle ends.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 13 Mar 2006, 20:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenKnowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTide
Its Daedalus Class Deep Space Carrier, also known as the X-304.
May I ask for the sake of asking, which ship? The Daedalus, the Odyssey or the so far un-named X-304 given to the Russians so they could keep the gate?
(Stargate Lover Extrordinaire)

Back on topic, I see no reason why not, as long as it is a friendly game.
I say we start a petition for an SG-1 board on TO I forget what the Russian ship is called, but it's awesome that they have one. Poor Danny though, because his timing is bad. They should give him a third chance to ascend, and go kick some prior ass!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Closed Thread