Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hybrid Tau Armies, will they push Mech Tau Armies aside due to New Codex?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Jebz Send a message via Yahoo to Jebz
Default Hybrid Tau Armies, will they push Mech Tau Armies aside due to New Codex?

Hybrid Tau Armies, will they push Mech Tau Armies aside due to New Codex? > >

With new equipment and rules that the new Tau Empire Codex brings to the game may see some changes in the composition of a Tau force brought to battles.

Is this going to see a swing in favour of static over mobile or maybe a stronger combination of both to form an immense hybrid Tau Cadre that may well have the possibility to push all-comers aside.

If the Tau can get this structure right it could be only small changes in tactics that are needed to beat other armies and not changes in equipment and units as may be happening at present.

What do you see as the change that will be most prominent within your own army? :P

e.g. what has to go to get that new shinny toy or two? : :

Don't throw point values around in this discussion please, we don't want it locked ;D
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: Hybrid Tau Armies, will they push Mech Tau Armies aside due to New Codex?

Let me put it this way:

Everyone who plays Tau benifited. Most obviously:

Aun'va (Static and Hybrid)

Pirranah's (Mech, but also Hybrid and Static)

Crisis (Everyone)

Broadsides (Now can fit into Mech)

I look foreward to Broadsides with their sexy ASS, and Pirranahs... a super mobile Fusion blaster.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Hybrid Tau Armies, will they push Mech Tau Armies aside due to New Codex?

I don't think Mechtau armies will become invalid. Static armies are now just abit easier. Nothing his been changed making Mechtau worse. Indeed the shiny new stuff probably makes it better.

Within my own army? I am completley changing my suits to be more agressive (as a result of Vectored Retro Thrusters) and am rejoicing at the adittion of AP3 weapons. Although this isn't finalised as yet I might also scrap the Hammerhead for Broadsides.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Are fusion blaster max'd out in the Tau army?

I ask this because a large majority of forum users seem to pick this weapon for their Commanders above all others with maybe the plasma rifle.

I can see the benefits of FB, but you have to be in real close to use it.

I can't remember who it was that brought up the aggressive Commander with the retro thrusters for the shoot --- charge assault ---- assault ---- jump out, shoot ----- charge assault..... etc, etc. Would this be a perfect time to use a FB over other weapons?

I can see this in a hybrid army but could it be used in a mech army?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 07:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8

Mech Tau hasn't got worse with the release of the new codex, it just makes hybrid armies a hell of a lot more easier to use (and more fun!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 12 Mar 2006, 07:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like the idea of a Mech Tau army; it seems to fit in more with the Tau history and present day tactics that the Tau use. I will in all probability build a Mech Tau army and a static army as well and play with both and allow myself the opportunity to mix-n-match to come up with a hybrid army also.

I was wondering myself about the new AP3 weapons/units that have been added to the Tau list.

Is there any clear favourate that will possibly be used above all others? I hope not!!!

I know that I will get the Sky Ray when it becomes available; because it can be the most highly mobile markerlight available to use in the whole army. It can ditch its payload on turn one and then become the pain-in-the-ass that I am sure the Tau built it for.

IMHO, I believe the Sky Ray is the best weapon/unit/model in the Tau army. It is deadly in it's application to warfare, even boasting its own ability to deal death by seeker if it saves a couple of missiles to use in later rounds. The enemy will soon realise that this XXX points vehicle is the bane of their lives and it is no whimp when it comes to being able to look after itself. It is such an awesome looking model as well.

I also like the vespid and I think they can fit into the Tau army style of play also. I have read RJay's tactics on the Vespid and they have masses of potential. I also like the opinions of Wargamer and Ketter, ........... http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=19781.0 ..... on these new allies to the Tau Empire. The sniper teams I am not too sure about at the moment.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 08:00   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el Sa'cea Ev'ets
It can ditch its payload on turn one and then become the pain-in-the-ass that I am sure the Tau built it for.
Umm, the Skyrays need a markerlight hit for every seeker missle. How do you propose in launching them all at once, save from having 12 markerlights in your army?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 08:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleide
Quote:
It can ditch its payload on turn one and then become the pain-in-the-ass that I am sure the Tau built it for.
Umm, the Skyrays need a markerlight hit for every seeker missle. How do you propose in launching them all at once, save from having 12 markerlights in your army?
having 6 in your army and being good at rolling :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 12 Mar 2006, 11:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleide
Quote:
Umm, the Skyrays need a markerlight hit for every seeker missile. How do you propose in launching them all at once, save from having 12 markerlights in your army?
I don't think that I would launch all of them off in the first turn. I know that I said ......

Quote:
........ but I think I would launch three or four of them on the first go.

The sky Ray has two networked markerlights, and I would have taken a Target Array to give it +1 BS for a BS of 4 which would hopefully give two hits but we can probably say at least one hit. Then I would use the pathfinder's Shas'ui targeting for the seekers. I will also be carrying two FW units with a Shas'ui in each unit carrying a ML each. and both units having a Marker Drone each. This should on average give me enough ML hits to bring down two transports/light tanks in the first turn using seekers (three or four).

I would use the Pathfinders and stealth teams carrying marker drones to target heavy tanks for my Railguns. I would have one railgun on HH (and team leader TL Broadsides if needed) to destroy one tank, then one twin-linked Broadside to destroy second heavy tank (with an extra TL broadside to mop up if needed).

I don't know if this will work but it does stand a good chance. If the are more that four vehicles/tanks/transports, then it would take turn 2 to to finish any off with Railguns and remaining seekers. When this is done I would send the Sky Ray out to mobile markerlight for the railheads Submu and stealth's.

If you think I am living in cuckoo land then please tell me; I am new to this game.

Thanx
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to HraTaika

The seeker missiles carried by the skyray hit with 2+, if guided by markerlight. (which they must)
Loss: 112
Total: 488 games

Though I walk through the Valley of Shadow and Death, I fear no evil.
Closed Thread