Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strategy help
Closed Thread
Old 10 Mar 2006, 07:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Chaplain Icarus
Default Strategy help

Hi there well me and some friends have decided (mostly for my sake ) that I need some motivation to get my armies painted, so we are playing a small campaign where each of us chooses a new army and builds 750 pts and at the end of three months everyone comes together plays and the winner gets 20 bucks from everyone so a cool $80 in total.
Trouble with this arose tonight when we chose our armies one chose Death Guard another chose space Marines and the last chose Daemonhunters, While I chose Tau as its the army I want to play next so this is a good way for me to do so. The trouble is is that now I will basically be playing the exact same strategy three times straight as I am positive Ill be facing 3+ armor save or better marine style goons in each battle not a lot of fun uphill battle for me every step of the way as I am relatively new to the 4th edition rules. Not a lot of creative minds amongst my friends

So I come to you all with the question of what should I do what are some good tips for my army and should I just say to heck with it and roll with everyone else ie: play marines as well
Old 10 Mar 2006, 08:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Strategy help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Icarus
Hi there well me and some friends have decided (mostly for my sake ) that I need some motivation to get my armies painted, so we are playing a small campaign where each of us chooses a new army and builds 750 Pt's and at the end of three months everyone comes together plays and the winner gets 20 bucks from everyone so a cool $80 in total.
Trouble with this arose tonight when we chose our armies one chose Death Guard another chose space Marines and the last chose Daemonhunters, While I chose Tau as its the army I want to play next so this is a good way for me to do so. The trouble is is that now I will basically be playing the exact same strategy three times straight as I am positive Ill be facing 3+ armor save or better marine style goons in each battle not a lot of fun uphill battle for me every step of The way as I am relatively new to the 4th edition rules. Not a lot of creative minds amongst my friends

So I come to you all with the question of what should I do what are some good tips for my army and should I just say to heck with it and roll with everyone else IE: play marines as well
Play Tau with lots of plasma rifles, sniper drones, and vespids
Old 10 Mar 2006, 08:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ok so dont take stelth suits just firewarriors vespids snipder drons crisis suits and tanks ??
Old 10 Mar 2006, 09:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

You want stealths as well. Burst cannons are realy good. Ive heard stealths are also a must. And some kroot can do good 2.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Tau have a hard time with small engagements. They start to pick up around the level you're playing with.

Kroot rifles and pulse weapons are the best way to deal with marines. The best pulse death dealers are stealth suits.

Vespids are mobile attackers, best suited to killing expensive or highly mobile 3+ enemies. You'll make your points back against assault marines or maybe grey knights, but not tac marines. I don't think they're a good beginner's unit.

Sniper drones may actually be a good choice. Tau need their heavy slots for actual heavy weapons - our only real anti-heavy-tank weapon is the railgun. However, at 750 points, you probably won't face too many tanks that can't be dealt with by missile pods and fusion blasters.

However, I must confess I don't understand how buying and painting 750 points of a new army is supposed to motivate you to paint your existing armies...
Old 10 Mar 2006, 21:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Icarus
Hi there well me and some friends have decided (mostly for my sake ) that I need some motivation to get my armies painted, so we are playing a small campaign where each of us chooses a new army and builds 750 pts and at the end of three months everyone comes together plays and the winner gets 20 bucks from everyone so a cool $80 in total.
Trouble with this arose tonight when we chose our armies one chose Death Guard another chose space Marines and the last chose Daemonhunters, While I chose Tau as its the army I want to play next so this is a good way for me to do so. The trouble is is that now I will basically be playing the exact same strategy three times straight as I am positive Ill be facing 3+ armor save or better marine style goons in each battle not a lot of fun uphill battle for me every step of the way as I am relatively new to the 4th edition rules. Not a lot of creative minds amongst my friends

So I come to you all with the question of what should I do what are some good tips for my army and should I just say to heck with it androll with everyone else ie: play marines as well
Hmm... Go with some battlesuits fixed up with fusion blasters, and plasma rifles. Stay out of the way of nurgle, as you should with everything tau-wise, nurgles rot is a real pain. Stay away from kroot, as nurgles rot will kill them if the marines don't. For regular space marines, pulse fire does wonders, and the plasma and fusion helps alot too. Good luck.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 21:56   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

are you using new codex or the old one? this can drastically chnge the list ill suggest.

Shas'el w/ shield drones,missle pod,plasma rifle and multi tracker

crisisx2w/TL plasma and target lock

2xunmounted FW's 12 each pho grens

2 broadsides w/ 2 shield drones and plasma rifles

go crazy with the extra 24 points,i could easily win such a small game with a list like this.

Old 10 Mar 2006, 22:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't think that you're in such a bad state, being that the armies you'll fight are quite similar. You can tool up with plasma weapons and railguns, which handle heavy infantry, transports, and heavy armored vehicles handily. A few squads of Devilfish mobile Fire Warriors should be able to counter the enemy infantry squads nicely. With a 750 pt game, you have to focus on the HQ and 2 troops choices, then add some railguns. Should be a vehicle light game with 750 pts. I imagine a Railhead and a Monat Broadside as backup can handle the traffic. After the basics? Depends on your playing style and the points you have left. Monat Helios' can use some elite slots and pay off big against MEQ opponents, if you can use them well. Pathfinders? It's a small game for them, but they could really help targeting impaired Helios suits and FWs. Vespid are supposed to be MEQ killers, but I don't know.
You'll have to let us know what happens!
Old 10 Mar 2006, 22:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Take something that can penetrate armour saves. Occasionally a unit comes along that you absolutley must kill right now. You can't do that with pulse fire without pointing your whole army at it. Pulse fire kills marines, but it whittles them down more so then absolutley annihilates them.

My personal preference for this role is Sniper Drones, as although they pump out far less shots, with the Stealth Generator and Target Priority rules you shouldn't have to worry about them being shot down in the first turn by a panicking Marine player.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 11 Mar 2006, 02:50   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok well the tourney is being ran 40k in forty minutes and i will be using the new codex
so instantly hammerheads are out this also eliminates a lot of marine tanks i think if anything it puts things much more in my favor as the best that they can run is like a razorback a rhino and landspeeders all of which will get shredded by my weapons . Trouble with the 40k in 40 mins rules is that i cant take a crisis commander and i think i have to so that we will have to see about with the guys I'm playing with cause ill have to bend the rules a smidge

Quote:
a Monat Broadside as backup can handle the traffic. After the basics? Depends on your playing style and the points you have left. Monat Helios' can use some elite slots and pay off big against MEQ opponents,
uhhh whats a Monat, Helios and MEQ ??

So far my plan is to pick up the battleforce when it comes out along with a crisis commander , maybe some pathfinders with rail rifles maybe not but definitely some sniper drones proably two units of three they are cheap plus i have a devilfish and 8 FW as is. Should i take Kroot at all ? as I gotta start looking at how I'm going to outfit my army now so i know what I'm doing once march 27th hits (that's when the new codex and battleforce etc shows up in Canada)

Quote:
However, I must confess I don't understand how buying and painting 750 points of a new army is supposed to motivate you to paint your existing armies
Well I have been wanting to play tau for sometime and just never got around to it like all my models i have a hard time just sitting and getting it done what this game is supposed to do at least for me is, Force me to paint as we are being judged on painting quality along with gaming ability and at the end there is a prize to the overall winner it doesn't motivate me to paint my existing armies it does howeve motivate me to paint an army Ive wanted for a long while along with i will afterwards expand on that army. After i paint up all this i will move on and enjoy painting everything else i own ...at least that is the idea