Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you cope with Daemon summoning?
Closed Thread
Old 09 Mar 2006, 20:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default How do you cope with Daemon summoning?

I had a game against Chaos which I won. I must say that if he had rolled better on his summoning, then he would probably put me through Hell. They didn't show until turn 5. He had three banners and in the end only his 1000Sons banner were present and they unleashed 'em into my ranks. Nothing in the Tau army can stand up to the Furies in Assault and how much ground can they potentially cover in one turn? It seems to me that they can engage you as soon as in turn two and that is truly a game winner for Cahos against us the Tau. Any ideas or better yet, experience?

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 09 Mar 2006, 20:34   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: How do you cope with Daemon summoning?

Don't always put your FW at the edge of your deployment zone. This will help serverly because the furies, screamers, and hounds of khorne can have an effective 18" movement. This screams death if you are at the 12" deployment limit on a 48" board (no one will dare play tau longways...)

The Warriors move 6". Next turn The daemons could be summoned and charge you with their effective 18". BUT if you stay back, then they only move 12" (6" for hounds) and you can unload a huge volley of fire. Since they have a 5+ inv. they will fail a lot of the time.

HOWEVER if they don't come on the 2nd turn it's even worse, because the warriors move 6" again. To counter this use kroot and charge. The daemons must fit under the ordanance template. As long as you don't flee combat ( 1ksons won't but they can loose more wounds!!!!) you get a pile-in move. push all your guys into as many people as you can and if you opponent isnt the brightest he will do the same. Multiple units of kroot work really well for this (personal experience(s)) and while combat roles you either shoot with you tau or move out of summoned daemon's ranges (12-18"). Make sure you opponent take his daemonic instability checks when needed!

Best of luck with your Daemon problems!
Old 09 Mar 2006, 23:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

I pee on them.

Joking

I fear not daemons, only greater daemons. Normal Daemons eat plasma and pie plates. They dont last long. Greater Daemons get a heavy dose of Railgun slug and a plasma chaser. They dont last long either.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 00:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Why would you waste a railgun on a greater daemon? wait 'till that thing is closer(cept for bloodthirster and lord of change) then shoot a lot of pulse at them... The others start shooting at with one unit till its a prob. the Blood T is realy only the prob, so you might want to use 2 squads..
Old 10 Mar 2006, 11:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

The thing with the Furies is that they're availible in turn 2 (like all reinforcements), then they're summoned with a scatter which potentially puts them 2d6 closer - lets say 12" plus some large Blast. And that's not all as they now are free to move (that's another 12") and charge some 6". In one turn they're upon you. There's nothing you can do - is there? Your firing line is now cluttered up in turn 2! ???

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 12:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

May I suggest a humble drone squadron shield? Get a gun drone squadron and during your assualt phase, jump them in front of your firewarrior lines (I like long lines of drones with maximum spacing.) Now the baddies will still charge you, but will hit your drone line. The drones are toast, but that's what you want. With luck, they charge and you lose ALL your drones during their assualt phase or your drones end up falling back (not hard to achieve this with a drone squadron against good CC armies). But either case it doesn't matter. Just make sure the line was out far enough that he can't consolidate into any of your troops. Now he's left with all his troops very close to you and open targets for the beginning of your turn. Move as necessary to bring in even more guns and fire away.

If you want to really upset your opponent, move a second drone squad between his guys and yours as a fresh shield during your assualt phase. You'll have to slowly fall back your firewarriors an inch or two each time you do this, but you can still rapid fire at the range you're likely at. In the past I've actually taken 2 squads of 4 rather than a single squad of 8 just so I could do this (worked great too...but pretty specific to the army I knew I was facing and the points we had availabe. And you have to be careful, harder to wall off an area with fewer drones, if he's tricky he can find a way around.)

Not a perfect strategy, but it gives you an extra turn to really focus firepower and take him hopefully to a point where his numbers are so diminished that you have him.

*Disclaimer - I've never actually played a "summoned demons" army like this, but this strategy has worked for me against very fast 'nids players who I think give me similar problems. Anyway, there might be something about demons I'm not considering that makes this a bad idea.

-Aun'Shasta
Old 10 Mar 2006, 17:28   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to FW-Tau

I have got a Chaos(Black Legion) army aswell as a Tau army. So I know all too well how deadly demons can be. I have never faced a Chaos army with my Tau yet. But I will have to say I would look foward to it. And how I would deal with them is simple. I will just try my damndest not to let the demons or any of the chaos army get at my really juicey units.
Closed Thread