Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

After reading the new Tau codex..
Closed Thread
Old 08 Mar 2006, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to HraTaika
Default After reading the new Tau codex..

.. I came up with few thoughts.

First, the images of the respective units their entry are quite forrific, but I like the overall look and feel. Only the unit images were a minus.

Then, there was quite few things I thought were good, and some not so good. First I was shocked by the fact that plasma rifle just got more expensive. The gun costs almost as much as the Crisis itself!

But I liked the fact that Ionheads are now cheaper, like Crisis and Shield drones. Also skyray seems rather funky. Also the new wargear is good.

Vespids, Piranah and the sniperdrones are quite mystery still, donīt really know what to do with them. Vestids are too expensive for what they can do, Pirannah just wierd skimmers and the snipers come in too few numbers and their cost quite high me thinks.

Overall, I like the new codex, actually much more than the new marine one. If you have questions, Iīll happily aswer them, within the limits of board rules.
Loss: 112
Total: 488 games

Though I walk through the Valley of Shadow and Death, I fear no evil.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 20:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: After reading the new Tau codex..

Is their an option to give etherials an armor save? I heard that there was, but couldnt find it myself when looking through the codex at a GW shop.
Does the Skyray come with a targeting array, I think its a bit expensive if it dident.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 20:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Seekers are 10 points each. The Skyray would cost 90+60, making it 150 points. That is without adding the Markerlights and the free Target Lock is worth the same as the free Targetting Array. 125 points for it is a bargain if you ask me.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 20:27   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Is their an option to give etherials an armor save? I heard that there was, but couldnt find it myself when looking through the codex at a GW shop.
Does the Skyray come with a targeting array, I think its a bit expensive if it dident.
Hi,

unfortanatly no you can't give him an armour save. But you can give him retinue of experienced FW
Old 08 Mar 2006, 21:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Very dissapointed with the lack of fluff over Farsight, i was expecting pages and pages....instead got one mixed with stats...and a Picture. :'(

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 08 Mar 2006, 22:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by HraTaika
.. I came up with few thoughts.

First, the images of the respective units their entry are quite forrific, but I like the overall look and feel. Only the unit images were a minus.

Then, there was quite few things I thought were good, and some not so good. First I was shocked by the fact that plasma rifle just got more expensive. The gun costs almost as much as the Crisis itself!
That's because that plasma rifle is on a unit that can move fast and JSJ. You can kill marines with almost impunity.

Quote:
But I liked the fact that Ionheads are now cheaper, like Crisis and Shield drones. Also skyray seems rather funky. Also the new wargear is good.
I think that the Airburst Frag Launcher is nice... a little too short ranged, but the pie plate of doom makes up a lot for that.

Quote:
Vespids, Piranah and the sniperdrones are quite mystery still, donīt really know what to do with them. Vestids are too expensive for what they can do, Pirannah just wierd skimmers and the snipers come in too few numbers and their cost quite high me thinks.
Piranah... I might have a squad of 2 or 3, but no more
Vespid... no thank you. too fragile, and too short ranged for my liking
Sniper Drones... =^.^= 3 rail rifles and a networked markerlight (which are stealth shielded) all for the cost of 8 fire warriors... *NICE*
Old 08 Mar 2006, 22:43   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yes, although the vespids are a few points, and have no save against bolters, they are very useful in a much tau list, and work well supporting close range crisis suits. Thier weapons are pretty neat aswell! Killing marines on a 2+. They also have fleet, so can move up to 18 inches per turn. Their high initiative also allows them to strike first in combat against most units. So technically, they can move 12", shoot their powerful guns, then assault 6" and strike first! ;D
Old 08 Mar 2006, 22:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Razor, with the Vespid's weak armor and only moderate strength. I don't think that they will kill enough marines in their mad charge to survive. If they had 4+ armor then I would have a full squad, but with only 5+... no thank you.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 22:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think people are under estimating Vespids. True they do have a poor save, BUT with the use of markerlights, to up there BS to 5, They are hitting on 2+ and killing marines on 3+. I for one see a major 'spot' removal team with there speed. Tau always have had a problem with deep striking units that chew them up in close combat and I see this as a great deterrent. Now that Crisis suit plasma cost has shot threw the dome.

Though I do have a question. With there fleet of wing, would they still be able to shoot? I know eldar must give up there shooting phase to fleet. I'm assuming its the same. Wondering if some people's plans for insane movement and shooting is flawed.

(thanks razor for spotting my typo)
Old 08 Mar 2006, 22:58   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

For KCKitsune... Yes, although thier 5+ armour save really is quite dreadful, they perform quite nicely if you move them through cover until they are able to shoot, and then by using a concentration of fire, killing of a squad to stop the vespids getting shot at. I have proxied them in in a few games and they have performed quite well alongside crisis suits.

For Zenguin... Their weapons only kill marines on a 3+, and yes, the fleet of wing does take away thier ability to shoot, but it allows you to get within your weapons range easier for subsequent turns.
Closed Thread