Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

non-railgun army feasible?
Closed Thread
Old 08 Mar 2006, 15:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default non-railgun army feasible?

Im currently building a tau army(list is here:http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=19593.0 , and already have a hammerhead with ion cannon & rail head turrets.

I really am quite taken by the ion cannon, and i was wondering if i could survive against tournie armies with an army that doesnt have any railgun. Against any landraiders i can use my helios suit, as well as my 8 seeker missiles so its not like i have no firepower. Of course this doesnt work against necrons with 3 monoliths but against those the ion cannon will just butcher his troops and help me phase him out.

So whaddya think, can it be done, the tau army without railguns?
Old 08 Mar 2006, 15:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: non-railgun army feasible?

Well, yeah, it's possible. What I like about railguns is the range! I've charged in with crisis suits, blew a Land Raider Crusader at 5" with fusion blasters, and got charged by Terminators in the next turn with a 6" move and 6"assault. Seekers can only get a glancing hit on Raider Armor, which makes 8 probably not nearly enough to stop a Raider.

It really depends on who you face. A three Raider Marine army would be a serious threat to a non-railgun army, and I believe the Necron Monolith has similar armor and some sort of extra protection vs short range melta weapons. Fortunately, such armor is rare, and even with such armor, one could play by ignoring or hiding from the AV 14 armor and focusing on the rest of the army.

Personally, I love the Railguns, and usually play with at least 2.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 16:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.wilson
Well, yeah, it's possible. What I like about railguns is the range! I've charged in with crisis suits, blew a Land Raider Crusader at 5" with fusion blasters, and got charged by Terminators in the next turn with a 6" move and 6"assault.
that not attuyl possible the terminators would have be entangled so for 1 turn they would have to stand around like larry
Old 08 Mar 2006, 17:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

A tau army doesn't need railguns, it's just fun to have them. ;D

There have been several games i've gone without a railgun, there is nothing wrong with not taking one, helios suits and ion and seekers can also do some good damage to vehicles, i'm not so sure on the monolith situation as i have only seen one ever be used, and it was destroyed by a grenade ;D
Old 08 Mar 2006, 18:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Pretty much Xenos Armies (not including Necrons)

Dark Eldar are especially fun with Deathrain Crisis suits.
Orks are blast as long as they didn't bring any Leman Ross's.
Eldar have holofields which makes it almost pointless to take a railgun other than the large blast template.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 18:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Its very much upto the individual. While Railguns can kill stuff in a single shot, they are point for point alot more expensive.

One strength 10 or 4/5 strength 8. Both will do the same through averages but they offer different styles of play.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 08 Mar 2006, 23:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I wouldn't say that Railguns HAVE to be taken, I just think that they add an extra dimension to the Tau, being quite versatile, that CAN be hard to replace.

I am by no means saying that they are irreplacable, but I normally take at least one railgun, normally more, simply because the solid shot can destroy anything and the submunitions can take care of most infnatry.

Some of the people I play against are quite wary of a Railhead, so much so that they actively try to avoid it and waste quite a lot of resources trying to destroy it. Thus it pays for itself, not only in terms of the enemy models it destroys, but also in that it can help the rest of your army in a way that (for some reason) the Ionhead cannot.

Even though they are quite expensive, I think that they are worth the cost.
Old 09 Mar 2006, 00:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Pirranah's with fusion blasters: wonderful.

Take one Railhead, two ASSed Broadsides, Sniper Drones, and a fleet of Pirranahs! Add some FW, Crisis and Stealth and you have an army!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 09 Mar 2006, 01:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You don't have to take anything. But a army without a railgun, to me at least, is crazy. It is the ultimate tank hunter. Only needs a 4 to penetrate a land raider crusader or a monolith. They are tough as nails to kill too. For only twelve more points you can get Tl railgun, SMS, and the added toughness. Great deal to me.
Old 09 Mar 2006, 01:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.wilson
Well, yeah, it's possible. What I like about railguns is the range! I've charged in with crisis suits, blew a Land Raider Crusader at 5" with fusion blasters, and got charged by Terminators in the next turn with a 6" move and 6"assault.
that not attuyl possible the terminators would have be entangled so for 1 turn they would have to stand around like larry
Im pretty sure that the Slow and Purposeful lets them move regardless, but Im not positive
Closed Thread