Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactics vs Eldar
Closed Thread
Old 08 Mar 2006, 05:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tactics vs Eldar

Until recently I thought I had everything planned out with what I am going to make my Tau Army Like. My friend recently switched his army to Eldar, (Kicks self in face). From what I have heard in the other message boards is that Eldar are pretty much the bane of all things for the Greater Good (Tau).

So I humbly request that you seasoned Tau veterans give in some of your knowledge for the Greater Good of the Tau Empire! (Any Tactics, hints, army lists or anything else will be greatly appreciated.) :P ( Please refrain from giving me hints to do with the Tau Empire codex because I don't have it ) :'(
Old 08 Mar 2006, 06:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tactics vs Eldar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Shadowsun
Until recently I thought I had everything planned out with what I am going to make my Tau Army Like. My friend recently switched his army to Eldar, (Kicks self in face). From what I have heard in the other message boards is that Eldar are pretty much the bane of all things for the Greater Good (Tau).

So I humbly request that you seasoned Tau veterans give in some of your knowledge for the Greater Good of the Tau Empire! (Any Tactics, hints, army lists or anything else will be greatly appreciated.) :P ( Please refrain from giving me hints to do with the Tau Empire codex because I don't have it ) :'(
Eldar tactics one o one.

1. Take out the darkreapers. These guys will cause massive amounts of damage and will kill you crisis suits.
2. Fire at his wave serpents. Make sure that you at least get a result of can't move. Once one can't move go to the next one. If you do this it would be easier to kill next turn. Also it stops him from dropping off banshees on you or scorpions.
3. Kill anything that is mobile in his army next.
4. kill his troops that has star cannons
5. Kill his farseer or his seer council
6. If it a unit get's close enough to assault you than this unit should have the #1 priority to kill
7. everything else.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 09:51   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

One great thing i found about going against eldar is that a huge majority of their units drop like flies to our basic pulse rifle/burst cannon fire. Stop those transports and their army is like a sitting duck to mech/hybrid tau. Worst case scenario a serpent/falcon does drop its payload on top of your crisis team, after they're done pounding your unit and consolidate, you can waste them in your next turn with FW or stealths etc.
As for the wraithlord.. I usually just stay out of LOS and ignore him since he's so slow.

(Under 9yrs requires accompanying parental or adult guardian)
Old 08 Mar 2006, 12:46   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to hawkmang

Depending on what units he has, it would be wise to identify and destroy the units that are going to get into close combat the fastest and destroy them with concentrated fire.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 13:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Missile pods are good against their vehicles, and the Ion Cannon is great against jetbikes. Now that I think of it, the skyray wouldn't be half bad either.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 14:06   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Cowering in fear might be a good start... especially if he's a skilled player.

Eldar have the potential to deal massive amounts of damage. The only blessing you have is they don't take it too well.

Thus, I give you my overview:

1) Look at each unit in his force.

2) Assign them a "threat" rating, based on how much damage you think they will do to your force, and how quickly they'll do it.

3) Destroy the unit you gave the highest threat rating first.

4) Then the lowest; Eldar Players are a cunning bunch, and often the units you think "aren't dangerous" are the ones who serve you up on a silver platter.

5) In the name of the Tau'va, stay out of combat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 Mar 2006, 14:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Cowering in fear might be a good start... especially if he's a skilled player.

Eldar have the potential to deal massive amounts of damage. The only blessing you have is they don't take it too well.

Thus, I give you my overview:

1) Look at each unit in his force.

2) Assign them a "threat" rating, based on how much damage you think they will do to your force, and how quickly they'll do it.

3) Destroy the unit you gave the highest threat rating first.

4) Then the lowest; Eldar Players are a cunning bunch, and often the units you think "aren't dangerous" are the ones who serve you up on a silver platter.

5) In the name of the Tau'va, stay out of combat!
: The only time I have problems with eldar is due to the silly waveserpants and dark reapers. These are gonna be your threats in turn 1. Honestly the eldar should fear you. It's hard for them to blow up your skimmers as well. Also stealth suit rip their men apart. The most important thing to remember is the eldar can't assault out of a vehicle. So he could shoot you with the banshees but he won't be able to assault you.

I always consider the darkreapers a serious threat. The eldar player always gets mad when I vaporise them in turn 1. But hey they can dish out a lot of deadly fire power. This squad is also more expansive for him than a waveserpant with star cannons. Dark reapers are very accurate. That's why you should kill them or reduce their numbers and then go for waveserpents. Once everyone is on foot than I'll go for his Falcon tanks. At least a rail gun glances them on a 2 instead of a 4.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 16:00   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Here they come:

HQ: Two shas'els, each with one bodyguard (Depends of the size of a game!)

First (his/ her bodyguard too) w/ plasma rifle, missile pod and multitracker

Second w/ plasma rifle, fusion blaster and multitracker.

Use the first one as normal (behind cover, shoot, then back), with the second, be sneaky! Use it trapping your opponents wave serpents!

Elites: Crisis suits w/ lot's of missile pods! Vypers will fall!

Then take for example two devilfishes, 10 fire warriors with them. Massed pulse rifle fire will kill guardians easily. Try to keep the 'fishes in cover and surround their enemies, then jump near them and fire. Believe me, there will be no guardians assaulting to your beloved fire warriors.

Kroots don't work against eldar, their heavy weapon platforms and fire prisms will make the poor kroots mockery.

Gun drones either. Eldars have too high leadership.

Use hammerheads!

Ion cannons. Against eldar, they sometimes deal more damage than a railgun. If you have three hammerheads, take two ionheads and one railhead. Always use the smart missile system with them. (Railgun submunition works well too!)

1. Destroy wave serpents. Evil people inside
2. Falcons ( Fire prisms!).
3. Vypers. They can have bright lances (watch out your hammerheads)
4. Dark reapers. These aren't too big problem to mounted fire warriors, but will kill your crisis suits.
5. Others such as a Farseer with warlocks. Don't let them near to your people.
Guardians will come to you but they don't cause troubles.

Keep your fire warriors alive! First game: my shas'las killed a squad of guardians, 7 destroyed 2 vypers in one turn

Second: In the last turn, 6 warriors w/ EMP grenades blowed a wave serpent.

Lastly, remember this: ELDARS AND THEIR RE-ROLLS!!!
Old 08 Mar 2006, 16:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to snipin_joe

Actually, ive never found eldar to be a challenge. Line up your fw's and let 'em have it!
Old 08 Mar 2006, 16:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wargamer's assessment is best here. Eldar armies are highly varied, and skilled Eldar players know how to make the best use of any unit they field (generally, they make use of multiple units designed for your 4th turn decline).

Eldar Skimmers are generally more durable than Tau skimmers. Be aware of that. The good news is- Tau have all kinds of volume shooting they can apply- it's simply a matter of deciding when and where to apply it.

Eldar players live and die in the movement phase. You will want to use counters to eliminate movement options (example, skillfully deploying broadsides and FW's to make the Eldar player think twice about treading here) while systematically eliminating his mobility (think transports, skimmers, and fleet units).

Stay at range- the entire game if possible. FoF will work, but be darn sure you've picked the right target- Eldar can read and respond in particularly vicious manner.

Finally- just remember- it's quantity, not quality that kills Eldar armies. Load up on troops, shoot, shoot, shoot and then shoot some more. Throw rocks if you need to- Eldar will die to those too...