Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question? If you use target lock to shoot at two different targets....?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Mar 2006, 23:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Question? If you use target lock to shoot at two different targets....?

Question? If you use target lock to shoot at two differant targets can you still assault. I was wondering if I had a unit that for example shot at 3 differant units due to target lock would I still be able to assault or not. I never ran into this problem till I decided to try to make my O'Shova HQ with 5 bodyguards.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 23:17   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Question? If you use target lock to shoot at two differant targets....?

if your shots had a majority then you would probably have to assualt that target but that is as close as i can get

Old 07 Mar 2006, 23:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Question? If you use target lock to shoot at two differant targets....?

Check the rules on firing assault weapons. Off the top of my head, I would say you would probably have to assault both targets. Possible, but rarely feasible.

EDIT: having consulted the rulebook my opinion has changed

2005 record:
SVA: winning Faction
London Conflict: 3rd Place
GT Heat 2: 4th Place
Warfare 2005: tournament winner
Old 07 Mar 2006, 23:48   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Question? If you use target lock to shoot at two different targets....?

It says in the rules that you have to assault the unit that you shot at in the shooting phase. Clear enough, if your using target locks to shoot multiple units, you must charge One of the units that you shot. This fulfills charging the unit you shot, just because you shot more than one, doesn't really have any further effect untill a new errata is published

* Pretty cool, giving you a chance to charge which ever unit you will actually make it to, a nice added bonus
Old 08 Mar 2006, 02:10   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Question? If you use target lock to shoot at two different targets....?

If you look at the exact wording of both the codex and the rule book, the Target locks let you target a different unit then the rest of their squad, while the the rule book says that a shooting unit must charge the unit they shot at. Therefore, the squad must select a target and then select different units being shot at by the guys with target locks, but you could only charge the unit you initially selected to be shot at by your squad... Wow, this is badly worded. Here's an example. 2 suits: suit 1 has TL burst cannons, Target lock. Suit 2 has fusion blaster, missile pod, and multi tracker. Suit 1 shoots some guardsmen, while suit 2 shoots a tank, the Crisis squad MUST charge the tank because that is the unit the squad targetted (since suit 2 does not have a Target lock). Even if you added a 3rd suit armed the same as suit 1, who shoots at the same target as suit 1, you'd STILL have to charge the tank, because that's the unit your squad is targetting.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 02:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Moloch is right. Basically any models without a target lock count as being "the squad" when determining what the squad has fired at. If they all have target locks, you can do whatever you want.

It's vexing to know there's a further limitation to Tau combat capabilities, albeit a very unlikely one. It's just another reason to take squads armed the same, or to just take monats!
Old 08 Mar 2006, 03:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

So basically since O'Shova doesn't have target lock any unit he shots at I'll have to assault that unit. So I'll shoot with him last simple solution.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 07:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi,

I think the best option is to give the target locks to the suits with tank busting weapons in mixed role units, then you can still assault the infrantry.

Rathstar

View my 40k Blog at: http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.com/
Old 08 Mar 2006, 09:25   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
So basically since O'Shova doesn't have target lock any unit he shots at I'll have to assault that unit. So I'll shoot with him last simple solution.
Actually he does have a target lock.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 13:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zustiur
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
Actually he does have a target lock.
Are you sure? I don't remember seeing a target lock in his profile. If that's the case, with everyone having target lock. You could argue the fact who would be the original unit.