Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pressurised Environment
Closed Thread
Old 07 Mar 2006, 12:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Pressurised Environment

Something that has always nagged at the back of my mind is in the Devilfish entry in the old codex(havent read the new one) under Fire Points it states no FW can shoot out of the fish as it is a pressurised enviroment.

Now everyone always says Fish and Heads are skimmers and as such have limited Flight capabilities. If so then why on earth would you have a sealed environment? Pressursed environments are used nowadays soley for high altitude flight (or deep sea).

The way i see it is that Fish and Heads are capable at the very least of orbit to ground flight. I might be willing to concede difficulties to go from ground to orbit... but supersonic jets and indeed some planes today are capabable of low space heights.

And i highly doubt a sealed environ is there to protect the firewarriors if indeed it wasnt capable of high alititude flight eg from hostile atmosphere... they are still going to get out... and we all assume that hostile atmosphere is countered by tau helmets/armour.

What are all your thoughts?

cheers

p
Old 07 Mar 2006, 12:11   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Pressurised Environment

As they are air-tight (and pressurised), the occupants are safe from chemical weapons, or hostile environments. This would mean that injured Firewarriors could embark onto a Devilfish, remove their armour safely, and receive treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 07 Mar 2006, 12:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

also thought the aplantary landing of any race has never been compltey discussed the devilfish may be able to be droped in from high orbit or atmophese.

thought i dont think they can fly very high at all
Old 07 Mar 2006, 12:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think we all assume the occupants are already safe from hostile environments as they still must get out the fish to fight in them. So their gear must do that.

And chemical weapons would fall under this category as well imho. If chemical weapons played a more important role in the life and death of a 40k soldier i think youd find chimeras and DE raiders quickly looking for ways to protect themselves. Yes they virus bomb everything but a virus is a heck of a lot smaller than a chemical molecule of any sort. Alot harder to filter out a virus than a Boron cluster.

Injured and wounded are most likely placed in a sort of stasis to stabilize them before shipping them off to a med fac. It is the year 40k and there are stasis devices in fluff if i recall correctly. Seems like the quickest and safest way to deal with casualties.

p
Old 07 Mar 2006, 16:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

They used to have chemical grenades in the game but it proved too cumbersome.

Mainly the fish is a "pressurized environment" for balance reasons. It sounds high tech also.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 17:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've always liked the idea that you can drop a Hammerhead or Devilfish out of low orbit.

Quote:
Yes they virus bomb everything but a virus is a heck of a lot smaller than a chemical molecule of any sort.
Untrue.

Balanced is the new cheese i'd reckon. - Brushmonkey, on how 40K is supposed to be...

Best Tyranid player in the UK...until GT Heat 2, anyway...
Old 07 Mar 2006, 17:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm with Wargamer.

If they were actually capable of reaching orbit, then what would be the point of giving Mantas a transport capacity?

Likewise, we often talk about cadres deploying from Mantas - this would be pointless if the Hammerheads and Devilfish could just deep-strike.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 17:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

They can though, it's specifically mentioned... somewhere I can't find now... that they can deploy "at altitude". I don't think they can get back up there though, and certainly aren't capable of space flight.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 17:53   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Being able to fall out the back of a Manta is not an impressive achievement. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 07 Mar 2006, 19:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasShi

Being able to fall out the back of a Manta and survive, however, is.

And I like the idea that it's so that the Fire Warriors can take their helmets off while they're inside the 'fish in a hostile atmosphere.

But Games Workshop most probably put it because it sounds cool, and it's a good excuse for saying that devilfish have no fire points.
Closed Thread