Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

whatīs the best Kroot squad config???
Closed Thread
Old 06 Mar 2006, 21:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default whatīs the best Kroot squad config???

right now iīm getting a little bit tired of this markelight discussion. as i havenīt had time to get down to the store and pick up my codex i havenīt completly read it yet.

i like to use a couple of small Kroot only 10-12 pillbox units in my 1500pts list as they are great with stealths.

with the new alteration of the kroot rules and the new units available what do you think will become of them???

though you can now make those huge kroot units with the hounds and the krootox only spending one slot i still think they will continuew to be used the same way.

what do you guys think??
Old 06 Mar 2006, 21:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar
Default Re: whatīs the best Kroot squad config???

always use them, they are wonderful cheap units who's main advantage for me is their infiltrate ability (so don't take Ox!).

I always use a squad of 16...cheap, but large enough to survive a round of shooting and still get into CC and do alittle damage. Finally got some hounds too which with increased Initiative are even better at CC...and cheaper

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 06 Mar 2006, 21:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'll take 4 kroot hounds and 8 kroot with the new rules. With a unit that small you still have decent shooting and some decent hth as well in case they get assaulted. Also it would cost you 80 pts per unit. But you might want to take a shaper with upgrades so they would have a slightly higher int. Personally it rarely helps to have your ldrship increased by one point anyway. Unless you using psionic powers.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 22:30   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Chaplain Icarus

I am definitely going to run a kroot squad along with the hounds they are cheap and another unit that will die before my fw will wahahahahaahahah
Old 06 Mar 2006, 23:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

The 20 squad gets an awesome boost from the fact that shapers by themselves now provide LD8. For 161 points you can get 20 Kroot with a shaper, same as before, but now the shaper is worth getting.

Do you know how hard it is to dislodge an ld SEVEN mob of kroot from forest or buildings (without flamers)? I'll be trying the LD8 mob, it suits my tactics with them. Ironically though I think it might make me avoid combat more!

I also want to try the kroot firebase squad. 3 Oxen with a 10-squad and shaper will provide some lasting firepower.

Kroot hounds are for assault oriented packs... they don't seem worth taking to provide defense. On a small or medium squad, it's a waste of points to spend more to defend when you'll lose the squad anyway. On a large unit, you're turning it into a points sink, especially if you've taken a shaper. I like the models though so I'm gonna find some way to use them. =D
Old 06 Mar 2006, 23:39   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

im thinking 2 pillbox units with ox or 1 with ox and 1 with mega hound of doom

Old 07 Mar 2006, 00:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the best Kroot squad is a little vague.

Best for shooting from a forest is probably all Kroot, as many as possible. Kroot-ox would be OK if you don't lose Fieldcraft, as wounds can be assigned to cheaper Kroot.

For assaulting, Kroot with Kroot hounds. Kroot-ox might be alright for that with their strength and ability to assign hits to other kroot, if you don't need infiltration to get close enough for assault.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 00:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

well i just wna try the oxes most people just knocked them aside in the old dex after the new rules caame i now wna try them out they should be fun to use

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 00:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
The 20 squad gets an awesome boost from the fact that shapers by themselves now provide LD8. For 161 points you can get 20 Kroot with a shaper, same as before, but now the shaper is worth getting.

Do you know how hard it is to dislodge an ld SEVEN mob of kroot from forest or buildings (without flamers)? I'll be trying the LD8 mob, it suits my tactics with them. Ironically though I think it might make me avoid combat more!

I also want to try the kroot firebase squad. 3 Oxen with a 10-squad and shaper will provide some lasting firepower.

Kroot hounds are for assault oriented packs... they don't seem worth taking to provide defense. On a small or medium squad, it's a waste of points to spend more to defend when you'll lose the squad anyway. On a large unit, you're turning it into a points sink, especially if you've taken a shaper. I like the models though so I'm gonna find some way to use them. =D
with new hounds they are more worth while in a tau army.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 01:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

10 kroot, and as many hounds as I can fit in the list . Thats the squad for me. Eventually though I plan to find a good use for some of those poor kroot ox.