Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] 1295 Tau vs. Salamanders (pre-newcodex)
Closed Thread
Old 06 Mar 2006, 20:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default [BatRep] 1295 Tau vs. Salamanders (pre-newcodex)

Mission: Take and Hold (Gamma)

Key: Green denotes woods, Black lines are ruins (greyed lines denote multiple floored ruins), the grey circles denote dangerous rubble terrain. Light Green Rectangles are the Salamanders and the Tau are Blue Ovals/Rectangles.

Lists:
See linkie for the army lists. Basically it was my opponents entire Salamanders army vs. 1295 points of my Tau. This is pre-codex for the Tau as I played it two weeks ago and live in the US. :'(

Setup: I won terrain setup, table side, unit placement and first turn (woot!). I let the Salamanders set up first and took first turn for myself. The speeders were held in reserve for deepstrike. On the map, "Speeder" denotes where they landed (and eventually crashed).

Notes:

For the free move on the pathfinders, I moved them into the building, but unfortunately rolled low on the difficult terrain test. Couldn't get them up to the windows to be able to fire the next turn. The PF devilfish moved up a tiny bit towards the center. I set up the PFs here because I wanted to keep the central objective in range of the MLs and also give the PFs much needed cover. As it was, they survived the entire game anyway.

*denotes a rules question I added to the end of the report.

Turn 1:
Tau: Pathfinders move up to wall. DF1 and IH move up to forest edge with intention of jumping over next turn. RH moves between forest and tableedge and fires at Venerable Dreadnaught. After vennie reroll, dread is stunned (can't move/shoot). Kroot, at 7 inches in the woods, fire on Tac1, killing no marines. Deathrain fires on Tac1 killing 1 marine and JSJ back out of LOS. Helios advances along ruins, but stays out of range. PFDF moves closer to objective and fires on Ast2, killing 1 marine. Deploys Gun Drones. DF2 holds behind cover.

SM: Reserve rolls is made and 3 Speeders DS behind Railhead. Tac1 advances towards trees, Librarian gets into ruins. Ast1 and Ast2 move towards central objective. Tac2 move up a bit in ruins, but stay in cover. Speeders fire on RH rear armor and destroys it.

Casualties:
SM: Tac1 - (9/10 remaining), Ast2 (4/5 remaining)
Tau: Railhead (destroyed)

Turn 2:
Tau: Ionhead turns and advances 7 inches closer to Speeders. DF1 squeezes in between woods and IH and drops FWs. Deathrain moves towards speeders to get them in range. Everything fires on Speeders destroying entire squadron (multiple hits with IH/FWs strip speeders, Deathrain finishes them off).* Kroot fire on Tac1, killing 2 marines. Pathfinders mark Tac2 and launch 4 seekers (from PFDF and DF1), 3 marines die (player decides to lose flamer). Extra ML guides Helios PR shot, but no wounds, JSJ out of range. Tac2 fails leadership test and regroups just short of table edge. DF2 holds.

SM: Dread advances on now destroyed RH. Tac1 advances on woods, but cannot fire due to 6 inches of woods inbetween them and Kroot. Librarian does not move. Ast1 and Ast2 move towards ruins and detroy gun drones. Tac2 moves back into ruins.

Casualties:
SM: Tac1 (7/10), Tac2 (7/10), Land Speeder Squadron (0/3)
Tau: 2 Gun Drones from PFDF, Seekers (2/6)

Turn 3:
Tau: DF1 reloads their FWs and again moves up to woods edge. IH moves out from woods. Deathrain moves along woods. Kroot fire on Tac1, killing 2 marines. PFs marker Ast2 and fire remaining seekers, killing 2 marines. PFDF tank shocks Ast2 further from obj, then fires on Ast2, killing 1 more. Helios fires on Tac2, no damage. DF2 holds.

SM: Dread advances into woods, but still way out of range of Kroot. Librarian does nothing. Tac1 flamers, then charges Kroot, killing 7, but losing 3 marines in return. Kroot make leadership roll. Ast1 gets into ruins. Tac2 fires on PFDF stunning it with Plasma. Ast2 assaults rear of PFDF but no damage.

Casualties:
SM: Tac1 (5/10), Ast2 (3/5)
Tau: Kroot (13/20), Seekers (0/6)

Turn 4:
Tau: PFs markerlight Ast1. Ionhead moves into of central ruins and uses ML to fire on Ast1, 4 marines killed. DF1 moves over woods to drop FWs and Drones just outside obj and the RF remaining Ast1 marine. Deathrain moves in front of ruins, but can't find a target. DF2 holds. Helios moves out infront of building and fires on Ast2, killing 1.** Uses JSJ to move to edge of dangerous terrain. Kroot close combat Marines, killing 2 marines, but losing 5 and fails leadership and then fails to escape. Tac1 forms up just on woods edge.

SM: Dread moves out of woods towards central obj, but too far to charge. Fires las cannon on FWs, kills 1. Tac1 marches out woods and flamers then charges FWs, killing 3 (6hits, 3 wounds and I failed to roll a single save!), but FWs pass leadership test (I love my Shas'ui!). Ast2 moves into building and fires on Deathrain, causing a wound, but does not assault. Tac2 fires on Helios, dealing 2 wounds. Librarian summons the Salamander, but it doesn't reach the DF1 FW team.

Casualties:
SM: Tac1 (3/10), Ast1 (0/5)
Tau: DF1FW (6/10), Kroot (0/20), Helios (1/3), Deathrain (2/3)

Turn 5:
Tau: Pathfinders marker Tac2. Ionhead moves over ruins and fires on Tac2 with lights, killing 3 marines. DF1 moves around base, Deathrain moves into flamer range, PFDF turns. All units fire on Ast2 eliminating it. Obj cleared! Helios moves towards ruins, but has no targets. Tac1 vs. FW1 close combat goes as predicted with FWs wiped out. Tacs regroup near ruins.

SM: Dread marchs toward ruins and fires at DF1 (Ionhead on other side of ruins, so no LOS) destroying it. Tac decide to RF Deathrain, killing it. Tac2 fires at Helios, killing it. Librarian moves towards central obj, but is not a scoring unit.

Casualties:
SM: Ast2 (0/5), Tac2 (4/10)
Tau: DF1FW (0/10), Deathrain (0/3), Helios (0/3), DF1 destroyed

Turn 6
SM player concedes game at this point as they had no way of stopping DF2 from dropping FWs on Obj or surviving a turn against the Ionhead. Any further play would have just wasted time.

Comments:
Tau: Very satisfied with what was actually a very easy victory, despite some mistakes. My plan was to whittle down all the marine units to nonscoring and then swoop in with my DF2 to win and it worked. Losing my RH first turn hurt, but I knew whatever turn those speeders came into play meant death to a tank. Thankfully, the SM player targeted my RH instead of my IH, which turned out to be great at working over those marines. I was also very satisfied with my PF ML performance, though to be fair, the SM opponent had never played against Tau before, so had no idea what to expect from them.

SM: The player admitted she wasn't expecting to see 5 vehicles on the board (she'd never played MechaTau) and thus, was short on antitank. She also hadn't played in long time, so she was a bit rusty. Given another chance, she'd have used the librarian with Tac1 and set up all the units together as opposed to spread out on the board. Also, she now knows to fear the Tau standard infantry weapon against her speeders. "Rapid fire pulse rifles is crazy!"

Rules Clarification Requests:
*How does a Squadron of Vehicles (like speeders) behave when taking damage?
I had no idea how Glancing/Penetration rolls are distributed over the three speeders. When I RF'ed my FWs on them, I scored a moderate number of glancing hits. I said that the first roll goes on Speeder #1, then Speeder #2 and so on, until I'm back to 1. She argued that all hits are allocated to Speeder #1 until destroyed. We tried to find something quickly in the rules, but couldn't (worst designed rulebook ever) so I just went along with what she said. It pretty much took everything I had to destroy the speeders and I only lucked out in the end with my Deathrain by rolling a pair of sixes for my two glancing hits (destroying the last two speeders). I'd like to know what the official stance is on this.

**Assaulting vehicles or Whoops?
My Helios fired on her Ast2 squad in turn 4. Unfortunately, we both forgot that she had assaulted the PFDF the previous turn! So we resolved her assault (which did nothing) and then resolved my plasma in the same turn. It wound up helping me a lot more so after the game, we tried to find out if infantry that assaulted a vehicle count as untargetable like the normal assaults. Of course…we couldn't find anything.

Hope you like the report! As always, comments and suggestions on my batrep is requested. I have pictures that need to be uploaded, but I'll either edit this post or add a new one if there are replies!

Old 06 Mar 2006, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar
Default Re: [BatRep] 1295 Tau vs. Salamanders (pre-newcodex)

disribution on vehicle squads shouldn't really matter. Just roll all the glancing and pen hits, if you get 5 vehicle destroyed results, they all die. If you get one, just one goes. Don't see what difference it would make though as a hits a hit no matter what model within the unit its on.

Nice report though, lots of additional details.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 06 Mar 2006, 20:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

What happens if I get 3 stunned results and there are 3 vehicles? She said they would get applied to 1 vehicle. I argued that all 3 should be stunned.

Like you say, it wound up not mattering since I destroyed the entire team, but I destroyed them on the last two shots I had...all that firepower could have only destroyed 1 Landspeeder and done nothing to other two (despite me rolling multple stun/shaken results).
Old 06 Mar 2006, 20:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Pg 65 "Roll to hit against vehicles as you would against other units. If any hits are scored you then roll for each to see if they penetrate..."

So Just like Infantry of the same type, you roll everything all at once to hit, then everything all at once to wound(penetrate) then apply results. Obviously if you get 3 stunned results, 3 speeders are stunned, not one thee times.

Not only does it seem the best explaination, it also seems the fairest one.

If theres any problem again, just role a dice, on 1-3 your way goes, on 4+ her way does.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 06 Mar 2006, 20:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

uh, you know Cawshis, that you don't roll for reserves until second turn right? Now on turn two you could have had the railhead destroyed.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 20:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
uh, you know Cawshis, that you don't roll for reserves until second turn right? Now on turn two you could have had the railhead destroyed.
i wondered about that too, thought it was just another special "We uR r0x0r Marines!" rule ;D

Old 06 Mar 2006, 20:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechar
Quote:
i wondered about that too, thought it was just another special "We uR r0x0r Marines!" rule ;D
nope, *EVERYBODY* has to use that rule.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 21:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Oh snap! I totally forgot about that Deep Strike rule! This is like my third time playing deep strike rules, so I didn't remember them. Ha! She had started moving her troops and I was all like, shouldn't you roll for reserves first? I was the one that prompted her. My fault entirely.

So we blew it there…it's cool though. There is so much to remember with this game, I'm surprised we can get thru a game without more issues. The point is to have fun and I had a lot of fun with this game.

As for rolling the die, we prefer to figure out the rule and then get it settled rather than randomly decide. Usually what we do is discuss it and then one or the other player agrees to play by one rule and goes to look up the actual rule after the game. I'm guessing it's my RPG background…quickly decide a ruling then and there and then later get to the actual rulings…this way the game stays fun!

She had played her speeders like a normal unit (they all had to fire on my RH), so I fired on them like a normal unit (all wounds must be applied to 1 model before moving on). It made sense to me, so I went with it.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 21:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

When you get 3 failed saves on an infantry squad you can't say they all are on the same person because of some round robin system, same with multiple vehicles. Just doesn't seem fair to claim 3 stunned results on a single model when there are multiple models in the unit.

You only need to allocate wounds when a unit has multiple saves, as all the unit was the same, the shot results should have been distributed equally.

Old 06 Mar 2006, 21:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The line of thinking was more like fighting Scarabs (for instance). All wounds must be allocated to 1 model until it is dead, then it moves on. What I didn't think of was picking a model, rolling the table result, picking the next model, rolling the result.

Now that I know the actual rule, I can do back and apply results to each vehicle (and then come back to the first one again if need be).
Closed Thread