Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

is this a good configuration for a crisis suit?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default is this a good configuration for a crisis suit?

i havent seen this type of variation in army lists a lot and i just thought it up last night...it can be a nice point saver while making sure the xv8 does it's designated job

basically, take the crisis suit, add a twin linked weapon, and finish it off with a flamer.

my reasoning? take 3 squads of 2 crisis suits each (hypothetically speaking), and give each a twin linked fusion blaster, t-l plasma rifle, and t-l missle pod. one squads is a tank hunter, another squad is a marine killer, and the other is a distant shooter squad. the flamer is just so u dont have to put points somewhere else. if someone really wanted to, they could use t-l burst cannons for ork killers but thats why fire warriors exist...

btw, this is in reference to the not-updated codex
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn
Default Re: is this a good configuration for a crisis suit?

You've gotta fill the spot, so that's usually a fine choice for the old codex. However, in the new codex, there's some very interesting new support systems you can stick in the slot, so if you plan on getting Tau Empire, you may wanna reconsider.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm going to be running a Deathrain team (TL MP) with Targetting Array on two of the suits and the have a Shas'Vre teamleader with TL Missile Pod and Air burst Frag Launcher (HW Target Lock, Drone Controller with 2 Shield Drones, and Multi-Tracker). Total cost for the team: 219 pts. At long range I can have 3 Missile Pods shooting and most likely hitting. At close range I get those same missile pods *PLUS* a pie plate of doom. No cover, decent strength & AP, indirect fire... Guard and small bugs are going to *HATE* it! =^.^=
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:17   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher32
i havent seen this type of variation in army lists a lot and i just thought it up last night...it can be a nice point saver while making sure the xv8 does it's designated job

basically, take the crisis suit, add a twin linked weapon, and finish it off with a flamer.

my reasoning? take 3 squads of 2 crisis suits each (hypothetically speaking), and give each a twin linked fusion blaster, t-l plasma rifle, and t-l missile pod. one squads is a tank hunter, another squad is a marine killer, and the other is a distant shooter squad. the flamer is just so u dont have to put points somewhere else. if someone really wanted to, they could use t-l burst cannons for ork killers but thats why fire warriors exist...

I taught of doing some thing similar before but have never got the chance to implement it. My first ideal was to also equip them as above with a multi tracker.
my second idea was to give them three weapons e.g..(plasma rifle, missile pod, and flamer) with a multi tracker this means that you can always fire two weapon and still be effective.

Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Blitz, that is only good for team leaders. Also in my opinion that isn't that good because the flamer is just too short of a range. Replace it with a Burst cannon if you want light infantry killing power.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher32

my reasoning? take 3 squads of 2 crisis suits each (hypothetically speaking), and give each a twin linked fusion blaster, t-l plasma rifle, and t-l missle pod. one squads is a tank hunter, another squad is a marine killer, and the other is a distant shooter squad. the flamer is just so u dont have to put points somewhere else. if someone really wanted to, they could use t-l burst cannons for ork killers but thats why fire warriors exist...

I like the Targeting Array for the third Hardpoint.

TL weapon hits .5+.25 for .75 of the time
TL+TA weapon hits .666+.222 for .888 of the time.

So upgrading the flamer to TA makes the suits hit 18% more. The cost of upgrading flamer to TA is, what, 4 points? So, if the suit is worth less than 22 points (4/.18), the upgrade costs more than the gain. Since no suit costs that little, the upgrade is definitely worth it. I think it's especially good for Deathrains.

But greater gains seems to be possible by combining two weapons and a multitracker.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:35   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

That true.

I have always found that a hq squad of three (shas'o and two body gaurds) equipped with Plasma rifles, missile pods shield gens and a hard wired multitracker.

High on points but harder to kill and capable of kill medium to heavy targets.

Since the old codex says that any shas'ui can take wargear from the tau armory this can be given to all the suits.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz
That true.

I have always found that a squad for three equipped with Plasma rifles, missile pods shield gens and a hard wired multitracker.

High on points but harder to kill and capable of kill medium to heavy targets.

Since the old codex says that any shas'ui can take wargear from the tau armory this can be given to all the suits.
Actually, only team leaders can take wargear.