Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire Warriors with Markerlights and Markerdrones? Update: Now with correct info!
Closed Thread
Old 06 Mar 2006, 17:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Fire Warriors with Markerlights and Markerdrones? Update: Now with correct info!

So, if I take a Fire Warrior squad with Devilfish, upgrade to a Team Leader, give him a markerlight and a HW Multitracker, am I getting ahead?

Well, the FW team leader can't designate for the squad, but he can fire a seeker or designate for another squad, if he deployed last turn and is therefore able to fire his heavy weapon. The multitracker should let him fire his pulse rifle as well... I don't have a book to check that, though.

So, a second squad is available to shoot. The original team leader fires his markerlight, misses half the time, and makes the second squad hit 1/3 more. So the second squad acts like 12+4 for 16 Fire Warriors, which is worth 40 points. Since he misses half the time, his team leader status, markerlight and multitracker are worth 20 points. Like I said, I don't have a codex to see how much this is worth.

The next option is the static squad. The team leader takes a markerlight, HW drone controller, and two Markerlight drones. The ML drones hit 1/2 of the time, for 1 ML hits + .5 ML hits for the Team Leader. The 1.5 ML hits improve the next squad by 50% on average, making the 12 FW count as 12+6 for 18 FW. The 6 FW are worth 60 points, but we did the math different this time, and that number isn't reduced. So, our team leader status, markerlight, drone controller, and two ML drones are worth 60 points. Given the cost of a ML drone, that's not quite worth it. The ML drones allegedly have networked markerlights, and can designate for their own squad, as well.

Back to the first option. This team leader doesn't have a multitracker, just team leader and markerlight. Now his squad has one less shot, meaning that the multitracker, if that's an option, is worth one Fire Warrior, 10 or slightly more for bonded FWs.

Now, the markerlight is heavy. Static teams can stay static, and use the ML every turn. Devilfish using F-O-F tactics use a couple turns to move up and lose a ML shot after disembarking. That one lost shot decreases the usage of the ML for the second team, making it less valuable, although by how much is debatable. Lets say since two turns are lost moving into position, we can fire three turns of four. So the cost of the markerlight can be multiplied by 4/3rds.

Personally, I use devilfish equipped Bonded Fire Warriors. I upgrade my team leader to, uh, is it Shas'vre? I want the Leadership bonus. So I can take away the cost of Team Leader upgrade when I measure the cost. I'm only paying for the Markerlight, and possibly a HW Multitracker, which is, what 20 points x 4/3rds? The upgrade is worth about 20, maybe slightly more with bonding.

So, for Team Leader Markerlights, maybe with a Multitracker
Advantages
- A front line Markerlight, capable of boosting another squad or the Devilfish.
- Gives FW team Seeker support.
- Allows ML hits on a different squad than Pathfinders target.
- With a Multitracker, you don't lose a shot from a pulse rifle.

Disadvantages
- Gain is unreliable, missing half the time.
- Can't fire ML after disembarking.
- Gains are probably not worth it

For static squads with Markerdrones
Advantages
- More Markerlights, these with a bonus target lock.
- Extra MLs make a hit more likely
- Gives seeker support
- Markerdrones can designate for their own squad.

Disadvantages
- Looks too expensive for the gain

What do you guys think? Neither option seems worth it. Maybe in a Seeker missile heavy army, but still... It looks like the points spent on Markerdrones and team leader markerlights are best spent on more Fire Warriors.

Here's one more strategy I've thought of that could make a difference. A front line Fire Warrior squad with teamleader with a markerlight and Target Lock in Night Fight designate a target. The Hammerhead across the board is too far to roll to see the target, but designated by the Fire Warriors, allows the Hammerhead to automatically see the target. But how often do we play Night Fight?

Now can anyone tell me if the Team Leader can fire a Markerlight and Pulse Rifle if he has a HW Multitracker? Or is that "Crisis battlesuit weapons?"

Old 06 Mar 2006, 17:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn
Default Re: Fire Warriors with Markerlights and Markerdrones?

As far as mobility go, Fire Warriors are the most logical unit, so long as they aren't mechanized. That said, it's not as point-effective as a unit of Pathfinders.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I wont be using any MLs on fire warriors, mainly cause all my FWs will be mechanised (1 rifle & 1 carbine squad)

Ill still have 8 MLs in my army tho due to my pathfinder & skyray.

If you dont have any other Mls in your army, then the 1 ML will probably not make the difference but its always fun to have some oddball weapons. Just make sure you put the MLs on static squads. Mechanised squads are made for sitting in their APC, jumping out and firing, jumping back in and repeating as much as possible.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Rather than a Multi-tracker. I put a Target Lock. This way you can mark for something other than what your squad is shooting at. This makes it nice for shooting at the big things with the Markerlight so your buddies can blow the target straight to H***. I also take a Drone Controller with 2 Gun Drones to act as a small meat shield (and the extra shots if they are still alive).
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

OK, I'm reasonably sure that the new markerdrone is not the one from IA3. That is, it is not a heavy drone and does not, repeat, NOT have a burst cannon.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatonicPimp
OK, I'm reasonably sure that the new markerdrone is not the one from IA3. That is, it is not a heavy drone and does not, repeat, NOT have a burst cannon.
You are correct. The new Marker Drone has a Markerlight and a targetting array and that's it.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 19:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah, it's nice to have that resolved. I've been hearing different things. Does it still cost, uh, 3 FireWarriors?
Old 06 Mar 2006, 19:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.wilson
Ah, it's nice to have that resolved. I've been hearing different things. Does it still cost, uh, 3 FireWarriors?
You are correct... and it is "networked"
Old 06 Mar 2006, 23:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.wilson
You are correct... and it is "networked"
Hmm, that is just possibly useful... I'll update my original post with correct info and math.

Old 07 Mar 2006, 00:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Fire Warriors with Markerlights and Markerdrones? Update: Now with correct info!

While it is less cost effective than a pathfinder, marker drones and 'ui markerlights have a notable advantage - they're not all concentrated in one place. If your opponent wants to make your pathfinders go away, he probably can. But if you have 3 FW squads with 2 markers each and a skyray, you still have 8 MLs but they're broken up.

Sounds like it will benefit a static army much more than a mech one.
Closed Thread