Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mega Stealth Squads
Closed Thread
Old 05 Mar 2006, 21:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Mega Stealth Squads

I read an article on the new ATT board. I thought about it and thought I'd share.

Somebody suggested using a 6 man stealth squad, equipped with drone controllers and 12 gun drones. It's a bloody big squad, but with stealth armor, it's harder to hit. A couple markerlight hits makes it phenomenal. The thing about such a big squad is that two markerlight hits upgrade 18 models.

6 stealthsuits at BS 5 mean 6*3*5/6 hits for 15 hits.
12 drones with BS4, TL, mean 12*8/9 hits for 10.666 hits.

A FW squad of 12 can get 12*2*5/6 hits for 20 hits, rapid firing.

Which makes the mega stealth squad the most efficient users of markerlight hits. And with 18 wounds, plus stealth armor, longer range, and J-S-J, more survivable than a FW squad, plus more mobile. Hits can be allocated to drones first, to keep the stealths alive, and the drones are making pinning attacks. There's also a stupid rule one can take advantage of: if a unit has more than half the unit in cover, the whole unit gets a cover save. So stuff 10 drones in a bunker or behind a wall and claim 3+ or 4+ cover saves!

At 180 points for stealth suits plus 180 points for gun drones, 10 for team leader and promotion, 10 for bonding, it'll cost more than the 200+ points for a FW squad and fish, but it's a brutal squad. If you are already using a gun drone squad and stealth suit squad, why not combine them? Give the gun drones the stealthsuit's leadership, infiltration, and stealth armor, for free! And the gun drones can protect the more valuable stealthsuits by taking the wounds!

I'm not sure if Markerdrones are an option for a stealthsuit squad, but if they are, one can still use the burst cannons and stay mobile. I've heard they have a TA, and if that's true, the lack of TL makes them shoot just like the Stealthsuits, for the same cost! Mix a few gun drones in to take the first half dozen wounds...

Advantages
Markerlight efficient! I don't think any other unit can benefit as much.
Mobile!
Stealth Armor!
J-S-J!
Can take advantage of cover rules!

Disadvantages
Unwieldly huge squad!
Expensive!
Watch out for ordinance!

Someone else was suggesting targetting arrays for stealthsuits. Basically it means 1/3 more hits for... 1/3 more squad cost. No real gain, but I guess if one has 60 points to finish a list, maybe not a waste, especially in a Markerlight-light army.

Old 05 Mar 2006, 21:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Mega Stealth Squads

That sounds like it has serious comedy potential. I might have to have a go at that...

Balanced is the new cheese i'd reckon. - Brushmonkey, on how 40K is supposed to be...

Best Tyranid player in the UK...until GT Heat 2, anyway...
Old 05 Mar 2006, 22:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think I may be the one who suggested that squad. And yes, I think it's awesome.

On a note, markerlight drones in the new codex are not the same as the heavy markerlight drones from IA3. They just have a markerlight, though it is networked, and cost 30 points. I'd say no to them.

I also think you can save the points by not getting a team leader or bonding. If you do that, each suit with it's two gun drones will be 50 points, so a full man squad will run you 300 points.

Old 05 Mar 2006, 22:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i havenŽt made my maths but isnŽt it better to use the points youŽll spend with the drones to get yourself a second stealth team.

though you wonŽt have so many wounds youŽll have a more verstile unit easier to conceal.
Old 05 Mar 2006, 22:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, that was a pretty interesting suggestion you made, PP! Kudos.

I dunno about the marker drones issue. If they don't have a TA, then...

BS 2+2 for 2 ML hits for 3*2/3 for 2 hits for 30 points

compared to a gun drone with 8/9 hits for 15 points

Looks like the marker drone is slightly ahead, there, but gun drones give the pinning. Maybe the mix is the way. I mean, if your behind enemy lines with a squad of 6 stealth, 6 marker, and 6 gun drones, and no Pathfinder support, use the Markerdrones for 2 ML hits on average. You might be able to pin non-marines with the gun drones by reducing pinning targets, and not have to move... The mix gives that sort of option.

I heard a rumor saying that Drone Controllers won't be a hardpoint item anymore, just hardwired. If that's true, there goes the strategy...

Otherwise, take a hardpoint DC and a hardwired DC for the teamleader, and make it an even 20! Is that even legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempalm
i havenŽt made my maths but isnŽt it better to use the points youŽll spend with the drones to get yourself a second stealth team.

though you wonŽt have so many wounds youŽll have a more verstile unit easier to conceal.
Um, well, let's see...

With two ML hits available, two stealth squads can get +1 to BS, meaning...

6*3*2/3 for 12 hits * 2 squads for 24 hits

Compared to the 25-26 hits for the Mega Stealths, plus pinning, plus having less valuable gun drones take wounds, plus more wounds, for the same price and one less elite slot?

I dunno, I think it really depends on the style of play you prefer. The Mega Stealths have some real disadvantages, but if you are going to use a gun drone squad anyway, why not combine them? What else are you planning to use that hard point for?
Old 05 Mar 2006, 23:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

One suggestion, to address the statement to be careful of Ordinance: Space out the coherency of the squad, with the Stealths forming a ring around the outside, and the drones in the center. This way, the expendible models are hit by a central barage, and shots to the outer edges of the formation can only claim one or two Stealths.

In anticipation of assault, move the drones to the front and let them fall to enemy attacks - negate Sweeping Advance, and again - preserve the important models.
Old 05 Mar 2006, 23:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

Barrage does not really harm you much, they are rolling highest of 2d6 as they cannot see the target (iirc) and casualties can be taken from anywhere so even if the enemy is relatively lucky and kills 4 models that means your out 4 gun drones....dang 48pts.

No huge loss, its the cost of 1.5 stealths!

The drones actually protect you from the barrage in most cases.

Shooty phase formation

SDSDSDSSSDDDD

Assualt phase formation

S D S D D S D S D S (random order for drones and stealths)

Anyway, you can come together for the shooting phase to be more efficient and spraead out after your free assualt jump

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 00:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't want to claim credit where it's not due. I checked the ATT forums and it was not me taht did so there. I may have suggested it elsewhere here, Or maybe I only brought it up talking to friends in realspace.

No, the guy who suggested it on ATT is named Arch. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 01:31   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsurma
Barrage does not really harm you much, they are rolling highest of 2d6 as they cannot see the target (iirc) and casualties can be taken from anywhere so even if the enemy is relatively lucky and kills 4 models that means your out 4 gun drones....dang 48pts.
I thought that you could only take from the models covered by the template. Like when you shoot at a squad that's only partially within your range you can only kill the ones that are actually in range.

On topic I love the Idea of the Max Stealth Squad I plan on fielding three stealth's with six drones. I always used three and two but this is so much better. 8)

Warning the opinions contained in this post may not represent the opinions of my better judgement or the workings of my rational mind.

But there probably okay.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 01:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Jebz Send a message via Yahoo to Jebz

I like the idea of the mega stealth team, however I would find it hard getting them around, 'stealthily'

There is the potential for serious damage. I need the new book to be able to comment further.