Warhammer 40K Forum

huh?
Closed Thread
Old 05 Mar 2006, 03:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default huh?

OK a few things happend today
first one guy moves his devilfish 24 inches, saying that is a fast vehicle
and also when i tried the fof my opponent said he didn't Need to to make a target priority check to not fire at the devil fish since it was a tank ???

(\_/) this is a bunny
(x.x) bunny is dead
'(__)' he tastes funny hehehe
Old 05 Mar 2006, 04:05   #2 (permalink)
rex
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to rex
Default Re: huh?

what are you talking about
Old 05 Mar 2006, 04:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Devilfish isn't a fast vehicle - and so can't move 24" in one turn; it doesn't say "Fast" in it's army list entry for it's unit type - it just says "Tank, Skimmer" in either codex. The multitracker upgrade allows it to fire (not move) as though it is a fast vehicle. Refer to the rulebook for the effects of this - the quick reference sheet - vehicle moving and shooting summary.

The purpose of FoF isn't to avoid incoming fire (because you can't, I'll explain in a sec) - but to avoid assualts. Just to clear that out. Your opponent does not need to take a target priority test if the devilfish and fire warrior squad are the closest target(s). In this case, he does not need to take a target priority test to shoot past the Devilfish, to shoot at the Fire Warriors, as the Devilfish is a Large Target and can be ignored for the purposes of Target Priority (see page 19 of the rulebook) unless shooting at another Large Target.
Old 05 Mar 2006, 04:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ah i see now

Im going to have to call him on the movement

thank you

(\_/) this is a bunny
(x.x) bunny is dead
'(__)' he tastes funny hehehe
Old 05 Mar 2006, 05:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ mace
link=topic=19466.msg1057964443#msg1057964443 date=1141532467] In this case, he does not need to take a target priority test to shoot past the Devilfish, to shoot at the Fire Warriors, as the Devilfish is a Large Target and can be ignored for the purposes of Target Priority (see page 19 of the rulebook) unless shooting at another Large Target.
mace read you book your giving out false info. he does have to take a Ld check to shoot around the devil fish.

the rule say for Fireing at large target this "these are the only unit types you can target this way" meaning that if you want to shoot large target you ignore smaller targets but not the other way round. if your shooting at the fire warriors behind the devil fish you must must take a test to shoot the fish

about the devil fish if it was the pathfinders fish on the first turn it can make a pregame move and then it normal move which may have been what you saw. other wise he cheating or using a made up rule
Old 05 Mar 2006, 05:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

.. In which case you better read over your post too.

My interpretation was that normal units (infantry etc) were basically separate from Large Targets.. but it appears I misread the rules just then. So normal Target Priority rules apply unless firing specifically at a Large Target, using the "Firing at Large Targets" rules (page 19).
Old 05 Mar 2006, 07:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Large Targets can in effect be "singled out" because they are large, a skimmer behind a Firewarrior squad can be shot without priority check but a Firewarrior squad behind a skimmer needs a priority check, theres no similar "small Target" rule.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 05 Mar 2006, 08:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

My interpretation is that you can single out the Large Target because it's bigger and more obvious than the regular infantry around (or, in this case, the non-vehicle unit) but you can't ignore it in favour of the smaller option as Target Priority is not so much about size of targets but pressure and discipline when faced with enemy formations advancing.

For instance, a unit may have a massive Falcon grav tank barrelling down on them, weapons blazing wildly...while a unit of Howling Banshees, far more deadly, walk calmly behind it. The squad in question, being charged by this mechanical monstrosity, may panic and blaze away ineffectually against the Falcon rather than the more dangerous small target behind.

This is just my reading of the rules.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 05 Mar 2006, 13:21   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

they need to make the Ld test and check priority.

thatīs why FoF is so sweet. 1/4 of the time your grunts wonīt get shot back as the enemy unit is to occupied emptying their rifles in a flying behemoth.

sweet
Old 05 Mar 2006, 13:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its too early to search for this leadership test issue, so I'll just retype it here:

instead of saying what you have to make a Ld check to shoot at, its clearer to say what you DONT need to make a roll for:

1) you dont need to make a target priority roll if you are targeting the nearest enemy unit, no matter what it is.

2) you dont need to make a priority target if you are shooting at the NEAREST 'large target' as you say.

This means that the only thing you can aim and shoot at something thats NOT the closest thing is when you are targeting a Large Target (meaning Vehicle, Monsterous Creature, or Artillery), but only the nearest Large Target. Everything... everything else needs a Ld check to shoot at.

So, as a test: in FoF, where
a) the Devilfish is at 1" range
b) the disembarked Firewarriors are at 11" Range
c) a wing of vespids is 2" away
d) a Skyray Tank is 3" away

What targets can a firing unit target without a leadership check? The answer is A. Only!