Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aggressive Commanders?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Mar 2006, 06:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Aggressive Commanders?

The new Vectered Retro Thrusters (or words to that effect) upgrade has got me thinking. Could a Tau Commander potentially add close combat into his battle plan?

Shas'O are not actually that bad at close combat. They can survive quite a few turns, and maybe even win occasionally (my commander has taken out Guardian Squads and Necron Lords before). What they can't survive for any large length of time is anti - tank weapons. Drones can and will be peeled away by small arms fire no matter how many you have guarding him.

What I was thinking, is after you have done all your shooting with whatever guns your commander has, charge him into close combat with a basic unit (Guardians, Termaguants, even Necrons or Space Marines if you feel lucky). Such units can't often seriously damage a T4 WS4 3+ save guy easily. While he's in combat with this unit he is immune to shooting. During your opponent's next assault phase, use the Vectored Thrusters to pull him out. He gets 8 S5 hits when otherwise he would be dodging lascannons, and also gets to shoot at the unit he was fighting next turn.

Of course you have to be really careful what you charge. Guardians are good. Gaunts are not bad. Imperial Guard squads are good. Just keep him away from A.) any unit with more than one power weapon
B.) Powerfists

Tell me what you think. If it's really bad don't hesitate to say so.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 04 Mar 2006, 07:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: Aggressive Commanders?

Actually, I intend to do similar things to this with my Shas'O, albeit to pretty low-armoured units like Ork Shoota Boyz (without Nob) or, better yet, weak meatshield units like Guardsmen and even other Tau. Without a bodyguard or Drones, the simple Shield Generator makes you able to withstand even the odd power weapon...and possibly take out a Command HQ if you're feeling real lucky. If nothing else, it's a way to snatch a few kills and it looks funky, so I'm doing it

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 04 Mar 2006, 07:06   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Well, I'm currently in the process of modelling my Shas'O with combat blades (like a Predator's) to justify him actually doing anything in an assault. But I usually didn't throw into hand to hand when I played.
Old 04 Mar 2006, 07:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of the All-father
Well, I'm currently in the process of modelling my Shas'O with combat blades (like a Predator's) to justify him actually doing anything in an assault. But I usually didn't throw into hand to hand when I played.
Don't forget to give him a shoulder-mounted plasmacaster

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 04 Mar 2006, 07:36   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of the All-father
Don't forget to give him a shoulder-mounted plasmacaster
Already has one ;D
Old 04 Mar 2006, 08:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

My Shas'O has his shield generator converted into a kind of glaive, and an iron halo stuck onto his fusion blaster. I always found it odd how Commanders have nothing sharp on them at all and yet had Strength 5 with 4 attacks!

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 04 Mar 2006, 08:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

I know what my Shas'o is going to look like:
Cyclic Ion Blaster
Plasma Rifle
Multitracker
HW Sim injector
HW Vectored Retro-Thrusters

130pts

Pretty much the most powerful Meq/MC killer you can make, has feel no pain so can assualt most anything without a power weapon due to his 3+/4++(FnP)

Has hit and run so can fire, assualt, run in enemy assualt phase to shoot and assualt again your next turn!

Still instakilled by a single S8+ weapon so both irridium plating for 2+ save and the shield gen for the 4++ might be an idea but 130pts is expensive enough.

The other HQ suit can then take the 2+ if I so wish.

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 04 Mar 2006, 08:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to chrissi3

lol tau scuceeding in cc. i never thought it woulg happen, but really thats a snazzy idea that i just might steal off you.
Old 04 Mar 2006, 09:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

HW Sim injector
HW Vectored Retro-Thrusters

Sorry but I don't actually think that commanders legal. I'm not sure you can hard - wire a system that dosen't actually have the option "hard - wired __________" in the Codex. I hope you can prove me wrong there because I was going to use that combo myself.

Old 04 Mar 2006, 16:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have been thinking of using Vectored Thrusters in a new commander as described.

Advantages
- Locks the enemy squad in assault, preventing most movement and use of ranged weapons.
- Allows the commander to use his ranged weapons, which are generally more effective than assault.
- Can force multiple morale tests on the enemy: shooting casualties, assault loss, and fallback into enemy.
- Allows Fire Warriors to safely rapid-fire into the squad, without fear of assault.
- Having a commander so close to the enemy squad puts him in position to chase falling-back squads off the board.

Disadvantages
- Not effective against strong assaulters. ie. units with power weapons or assault marine units.
- 3d6 fallback can carry the commander past the 12" needed for rapid fire and assault.

It's too bad Vectored Thrusters are not more widespread among the Tau.

The 3d6 fallback can include jumping over the enemy squad. Since most squads are a couple inches thick, this can ensure the commander can re-enter assault and rapid fire weapons. I also mentioned fallback-into-enemy morale checks. By placing the commander behind the enemy squad, it can be possible to have the squad fallback into the commander, forcing a morale test to regroup, or else be scattered and destroyed.

I guess the thing is to pick your battles. I normally play against Marine armies, which I don't believe are the ideal assault targets for this tactic. But weaker assault targets would be severely threatened.

I was thinking of converting a Shas'O'R'Myr model for this tactic, using a pair of Tau Hammerhead Plasma Cannons on the back, Missile Pods, legs modified like Tonka's Broadsides, some Assault Terminator Lightning Claws, and a large glaive. I'd like a model that looks like it can cause 4-5 Str5 assault hits!

One question I had, is it possible to take Vectored Thrusters in combination with Stim Injectors? Do they use hardpoints?
Closed Thread