Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aggressive Commanders?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Mar 2006, 18:00   #11 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma
Default Re: Aggressive Commanders?

HW Sim injector
HW Vectored Retro-Thrusters

Sorry but I don't actually think that commanders legal. I'm not sure you can hard - wire a system that dosen't actually have the option "hard - wired __________" in the Codex. I hope you can prove me wrong there because I was going to use that combo myself.

They are actually not HW, they are both wargear options, as is the irrideam armour.

Perfectly legal, you can take up to 100pts of wargear.
In fact atm there is no HW option at all iirc, if you want you can even add the shield gen which might actually not be a bad idea but I want to keep my own one cheap.

Just rather not assualt things with power weapons.

Also something to consider is that you don't have to assualt the same squad with the commander, you will be shooting then assualting a certain unit, if we are talking meqs then around 4 should be going down in 1 shooting and 2 assualt phases, after this you can hit and run towards your next target, say a dev squad, they are likely not the easiest thing to assualt but with 3d6 + 6 + 6" chances are you will be on whoever you wish the turn after your first combat.

Also if you want to take on something stronger then consider irrideam armour 48 average SM attacks to inflict 1 wound!
Though only 4 Power weapon attacks for the same!

You can still put that commander in against a vet sarge with Pweapon as chances are your only taking 1 wound but you do risk losing the combat and you don't really want that!

I would not think about going against heros as they generally have a better ws which makes all the difference.

- 3d6 fallback can carry the commander past the 12" needed for rapid fire and assaul

Who said your running back away from all the enemies?
Fail to return to the same target then charge another.

Even with 18" run you can still move forward 6", fire all weapons including rapid firing those plasma and then being protected by IC status as long as you thought before hand about this.

The biggest vulnurability of the suit is that it is instakilled by rocket+ weapons, immobile ones should not be too much of a problem but when faster armies esp mech ones start moving 12" and turn and firing these weapons at you, you may run into some trouble if not prepared.

Luckily most mobile weapons are not S8+ (bar DL, BL, Railgun and a few others, most armies don't have too many)

One question I had, is it possible to take Vectored Thrusters in combination with Stim Injectors? Do they use hardpoints?

Incase someone missed it, yes
I made sure it was legal yesterday.

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 04 Mar 2006, 23:11   #12 (permalink)
Shas'El

They are actually not HW, they are both wargear options, as is the irrideam armour.

Are you sure? (goes to check..........................)

WOW! You're actually right! Awesome! That opens up a new world of opportunities for me. Say hello to 3+ savve, four wounds, feel no pain, and shield generator commander! With Hit and Run! Who says Tau commanders can't be as buffed as Space Marines ones?

Just a question. Can your 3D6 run move actually take you off the board?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 05 Mar 2006, 00:42   #13 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Just to clarify

For those with the Codex - Vectored Thrusters are listed under the second column not the third like the rest...

Anything in the 'Wargear' column doesn't have to represented on the model - the "Hard-wired" bit is only to differentiate the respective pieces of wargear from their support system equivalents. Anything in this column doesn't take up hardpoints, and is basically the same as being "Hard-wired". Check which column Vectored Retro Thrusters and Stim Injectors are in, and you'll see what I'm clarifying... (The above-mentioned commander config is illegal, but swapping two bits makes it legal)
Old 05 Mar 2006, 03:53   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Here's a good writeup on using this guy. Lots of good discussion in the subsequent posts as well.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 05 Mar 2006, 04:11   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That's an excellent link. I've been using agressive Tau for a while, and it works (surprisingly) about 2/5 of the time. I'm hoping that our "Ray'Jin Tai'D" tactic will be a little more useful.

There was one time when I defeated a Grey Knights Grandmaster in combat with 10 Firewarriors. A bit of luck goes a long way in my tactics...

The opportunity to take squads entirely armed with carbines is great for me. Finally, I can charge things (charging with Firewarriors before was kinda stupid... I give up my chance to throw 20 S5 shots at you to get into assault. Woot...?).
Old 05 Mar 2006, 11:47   #16 (permalink)
Shas'El

Is there any possible way to have shield generator and vectored thrusters? Is there? I've tried and tried to find way but just haven't been able to. A shield generator would open up a world of opportunities for this tactic.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 05 Mar 2006, 11:56   #17 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

You can have a shield generator and vectored thrusters, but if you do you may only have one gun...or, of course, another hard-wired system (which would be useless if you don't even have a gun :P).

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 05 Mar 2006, 14:30   #18 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Jebz Send a message via Yahoo to Jebz

I agree an excellent link TOnka.

I like the idea of assaulting. It will be something unexpected.
Old 05 Mar 2006, 14:35   #19 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to hawkmang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin
HW Sim injector

Sorry but I don't actually think that commanders legal. I'm not sure you can hard - wire a system that dosen't actually have the option "hard - wired __________" in the Codex. I hope you can prove me wrong there because I was going to use that combo myself.
Also, both are special edition hard points and only one per model
Old 05 Mar 2006, 19:11   #20 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkmang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin
HW Sim injector

Also, both are special edition hard points and only one per model
Yes, both are Special Issue items but the Stim Injector does not require a hard-point as it is specifically wargear.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Closed Thread