Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help against marines and IG
Closed Thread
Old 03 Mar 2006, 00:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Help against marines and IG

I just started playing recently but have not yet gotten used to the game. I have two people i play every now and then. The first is a person who starts with 2 land raiders and the rest of his army deep strikes. he deepstrikes 2 assualt squads and some flying car thing(sorry can't remember name). The last time only 3 of those suits got into a building with 24 FWs in it...they came out unscathed with my FWs all dead.
The second plays IG but i don't know how to deal with all his tanks...

I only have...
1 Broadside
4Crisis (I can change the configs)
24FW
1 HH(rail)
6 Stealthsuits
10 drones
and 12 kroot.

Any help appreciated.
-Tank
Old 03 Mar 2006, 01:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke
Default Re: Help against marines and IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where did my tank go?
I just started playing recently but have not yet gotten used to the game. I have two people i play every now and then. The first is a person who starts with 2 land raiders and the rest of his army deep strikes. he deepstrikes 2 assualt squads and some flying car thing(sorry can't remember name). The last time only 3 of those suits got into a building with 24 FWs in it...they came out unscathed with my FWs all dead.
The second plays IG but i don't know how to deal with all his tanks...

I only have...
1 Broadside
4Crisis (I can change the configs)
24FW
1 HH(rail)
6 Stealthsuits
10 drones
and 12 kroot.

Any help appreciated.
-Tank
That would be a landspeeder(flying car thing) as for help fighting them i suggest high strength low ap value weapons. Although seeing as I don't play tau i don't know which weapons to use sorry.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 04 Mar 2006, 17:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, it sounds like you've got problems with enemy vehicles.

I'd recommend another Hammerhead. Equip Hammerheads with railguns, decoy launchers, and multitrackers, at the very least. Move the Hammerheads at least 7" each turn. This makes all penetrating hits glancing. The multitracker let's you fire your weapons still, and the decoy launcher makes your opponents re-roll immobilization results.

The Fire Warriors can benefit from a Devilfish. You have to choose your battles with Fire Warriors. If they are threatened with assault, load up into the Devilfish and fly away. Find a new defensable position. Also, read up on Fish-of-Fury tactics. Basically, the gist is that you can fire under skimmers, but you can't walk under them. So take two Devilfish with Fire Warriors, put the Devilfish side-by-side facing the enemy, and unload the Fire Warriors out the back. The Fire Warriors can shoot at the enemy infantry, and the Devilfish form a wall that prevents the Fire Warriors from being assaulted. If the enemy starts to circle the Devilfish, fly the Hammerhead up to cut them off, or load back into the Devilfish to fly away. If the enemy assaults the Devilfish, he needs 6's to hit a skimmer. Add the Decoy launchers to Devilfish and move them more than 6" a turn if possible, like the Hammerheads.

I think gun drones are somewhat expensive for what they can do, but they can deep-strike. If the enemy vehicles have rear or side armors of 10, a deep striking gun drone squad can inflict 8 shots on the vehicle unexpectedly. They can also do what's called Jump-Shoot-Jump. Basically, move from behind cover, shoot, then move behind cover during the assault phase.

The Stealthsuits and Crisis suits are fast and pack a lot of firepower. They can also Deep-Strike as the Gun Drones do, and can also Jump-Shoot-Jump. I don't recommend Deep-Striking with these units, as it's a big risk, and it can leave them without enought terrain to manuever in. With Stealthsuits, keep at about 23" away from enemy forces. On your turn, jump to 17", unload with your burst cannons, then jump back to 23" or behind cover. The Stealth Armor makes it hard for the stealthsuits to be targetted at this range. Stealth suits are good flanking units. Try to advance up the side of the board to take shots into the side armor of vehicles.

Crisis suits are very flexible, but you need to specialize them to be effective. Plasma Rifles are amazing, but you need to be within 12" to be truly effective. Missile Pods are flexible, and have long range. They are the ideal weapon for lightly armored vehicles like the skimmers(the flying car thing). They also allow you to harass infantry from 36" away, beyond range of practically all infantry weapons. Fusion Blasters are very effective against vehicles of all sorts, but the range is too short for the firing unit to be safe from assault. I'm not sure of the units you are playing against, but I'd use your four crisis suits like this:

2 Shas'els or 'os - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, HW Multitracker, Targetting Array(comes out in Tau Empires, use a TL Plasma Rifle or Missile Pod otherwise)

2 Monat Elite Crisis Suits - Team Leaders with Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods, HW Multitracker, Targetting Array(comes out in Tau Empires, use a TL Plasma Rifle or Missile Pod otherwise)

This uses up all your HQ and Elite slots(with the stealth suits), but the suits are not in any sort of unit, letting you take advantage of cover better. The Missile Pods let you hit light vehicles and infantry from a safe distance. The Plasma Rifles let you do some serious damage against deep-strikers and other close targets. Above all else, stay out of assault, especially against Marines. Crisis suits' strength are in it's ranged weapons.

Crisis suits should respond to emergencies like deep-strikers or units in danger of being assaulted. Otherwise, use them like stealth suits. Advance up the flanks and fire missile pod shots into vehicle side armor. Don't send all your Crisis suits and Stealthsuits when you are threatened by Deep-Striking Marines. Keeping your Crisis suits back allow you to support your Firewarriors against Deep-Strikers. The goal is to destroy Deep Striker the turn after they land.

The Broadside is slow, ponderous, but possesses great firepower in it's Railguns. If you use the Crisis config I showed you, you won't have the Plasma Rifles left to equip your Broadside with them, which would give you some mobility against deep striking marines. Take a couple drones to give him some extra wounds. Try to take a position with some cover from enemy fire.

The Kroot are amazing in forests and jungles. I wouldn't take a shaper, but buy some forest terrain. Try to set them up 7-8" into forest terrain. They can shoot through 12" of forest, but everyone else can only shoot through 6". They also get a good cover save in forests, much better than what a shaper can give them. Use them as a static firebase, unless a good assault target is available. By good I mean IG or a weakened Marine target. Assault, then get back into the forest.

Your biggest priority is preventing assault, usually. Destroy troop transports as early as possible to force enemy infantry to walk to the battle. If the Fire Warriors don't have a target, leave them in the Devilfish to protect them against opportunistic fire. Assault Squads are fast and brutal, hit them with everything you have when they land. Land Raiders will take hit after hit from Rail Cannons, but they have lots of firepower and are a transport. Against the Imperial Guard, your tactics should depend on his vehicles. If he can hit you with ordinance blast and the like, leave the Fire Warriors in the Devilfish until you've silenced the artillery.

This is just some of the basic tactics. Check the Mech Tau and Tau Online web sites for some other tactical guides. The important thing is to play your strengths and deny the enemy the opportunity to attack your weaknesses. I hope this helps you.

Old 04 Mar 2006, 17:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

If he's only starting with some raiders on the field then spread out your force and stay out of LOS, those land raiders are now completely negated. Use a Hammerhead with railgun for the first two turns to get shots at it, as its the only thing in your army that will do any real damage and remeber to equip it with Decoy launchers, Multi trackers and disruption pods (currently reduce a vehicles range by 6" but is due to change very soon...could mean the difference between life and death with the Raiders weapons.)

With a good spread you increase the likelyhood of his deepstrikers being destroyed on a scatter. And those that do deepstrike will be unlikely to get into a cascade combat through colsolidation moves.

Go with Burning Eye Crisis suits (TL plasma) as they can really do damage to Marines, along with a Helios Shas'El/O you will be looking at 5/6 dead marines a turn easily without even touching your rail weapons.

Stealth suits pump out so much firepower even the mighty marine falls to them, keep them in the middle of your army away from the Land Raiders but in an effective position to counter any deepstriking units with a single move.

Tau are a mobile force, which comes from attacking an enemy...when there is no enemy until they all deepstrike it can be very difficult to cope as you will find yourself in CC very soon.

There are some games you just can't win (Nurgle are my own nemesis), just enjoy yourself, try new things....there are dozens more armies to face, and thousands of more players.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 04 Mar 2006, 17:46   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Get another HH and DTs for your FW.

with the extra mobility and by spreading your forces you can more easely engage his forces.

first turn just stay hidden and use your HH to lit one of the Raiders. when the deepstrikers begin to arrive simply hunt them down one at a time.

remember: if you´re spread out the opponent will have an hard time deepstriking and once they arrive your superior mobility will make it easier to wipe them out.

good luck
Closed Thread