Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I have problems aginst Imerial Guard and would like to hear some suggestions?
View Poll Results: Do you as a Tau player have a hard time or an easy time aginst the guard
hard time! They kick my butty 5 20.83%
Piece of cake and why are you asking me this question 19 79.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 03 Mar 2006, 00:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default I have problems aginst Imerial Guard and would like to hear some suggestions?

OK! This is my first go at a poll. I wanted to know how many people have a hard time going against Imperial Guard players. The non-line of sight bombardment kills me all the time. Jsj doesn't help if he blows your suits up all the time.

My question is how you deal with this mess. I've beaten other armies and lost as well. But against the guard it's like fighting a uphill battle. I should throw in Chaos Marine Iron Guard cause I have a hard time dealing with theses guys as well. But all the other armies are really not to hard to beat as long as you know what to shoot at. I never played orks so I don't know how much an annoyance they are.
Old 03 Mar 2006, 01:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: I have problems aginst Imerial Guard and would like to hear some suggestions?

against gaurd, firewarriors are fun against the standard foogsloggin infantry guard army, but railguns pwn tanks..either way its never that hard for me...how are you approaching it, an what type of army is it? mainly troops/armored company?
Old 03 Mar 2006, 02:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: I have problems aginst Imerial Guard and would like to hear some suggestions?

basilisks are total crap. they have a thirty in. minimum range, just get inside that and you do everyting Guard does... only better.

Blast well.

Tau 9/3/0 Space Wolves 50/28/15

RAAAAAARGH!
what now?
raaaaaargh.
oh.

I'll beat you down with my ukos!
whats ukos mean?
never mind
I can chew through metal bars, spit acid, carry in one hand weapons that normal men have to mount on tanks, I'm then ft. tall, can eat rocks, and your telling my I don't get lunch break?!?!?! I bet you do. mmmmhmmmm, riiiiight.
Old 03 Mar 2006, 02:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

one time you want lots of Stealths, they absolutely chew through Guard like no bodies buisness....deepstrike them with a few Gun Drone squads and all this army will be gone in a few turns.

For tanks, they can usually do damage on the rear, and sides at times effectively...but take along the good ole Railgunners and show them how to really shoot.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 03 Mar 2006, 02:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well it's not some much the troop aspect. It's pretty much all the silly armor these guys could have. When I play against imperial guard especially against 3 Basilisk it's murder. Freak-in template city on my army. The first thing they go for is my suits. A str 10 large blast template does a lot of damage if you ask me. The problem is indirect firing. I get screwed by him hiding his stuff behind terrain. Bout time I roll around the been more indirect fire.

I can indirect better than Imperial Guard wow never knew that. If there was no terrain than no problem. But the terrain kills me. It doesn't matter with them cause they don't need line of sight. Even with stealth suits a hit on Ordnance is a hit. Than the thing that really gets me is the fact I'm pinned 1/3 of the time.

I don't know the guard that well to know what list I'm playing up against. I just know the new rules really helped the ordnance hit a lot more accurate than it did in the past.
Old 03 Mar 2006, 02:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Hits only happen 1/3 of the time, statistically. It's not too bad.

Use pirannhas to fly up and cap the suckers with fusion, or else deepstrike something into his lines, a suicide sunforge or some gun drones or whatever.

Cover should help protect your crisis suits, even if you have to jump into it. One wound is better than death. Or maybe you should look into shield gens? Shield drones really don't help.

3 basilisks is cheesy, so don't feel bad about tailoring to beat him.
Old 03 Mar 2006, 04:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

crazy as it might sound, there are ways for tau units to completely own gaurd in *gasp* CLOSE COMBAT!?!?

the way i complete this is using stealths to rush-shoot-assault on the first or second turn, beacuse with their 2 attacks against gaurdsmen, you can tie up their fruntline while blasting their back from long range with railguns, ion cannons, or whatever you like.

I have about 6 out of 7 friends who play gaurd, so i get plenty of experience fighting the human meat shield.

as for chaos marines, i also suffer from them, along with any type of marine-based army.

and, orks are fun for target practice.
Old 03 Mar 2006, 05:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorelineviking
crazy as it might sound, there are ways for tau units to completely own guard in *gasp* CLOSE COMBAT!?!?

the way i complete this is using stealth's to rush-shoot-assault on the first or second turn, because with their 2 attacks against guardsmen, you can tie up their fruntline while blasting their back from long range with railguns, ion cannons, or whatever you like.

I have about 6 out of 7 friends who play guard, so i get plenty of experience fighting the human meat shield.

as for chaos marines, i also suffer from them, along with any type of marine-based army.

and, orks are fun for target practice.
Funny thing is I never have a problem with marines or chaos unless it's Iron Warriors. But I guess the way I run my army probably the reason.
Old 03 Mar 2006, 12:07   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

there are several options depending on what you´re using and the type of IG army.

i think the secret here is mobility. you can´t beat them with fire power but you can grind them one at a time and use terrain to hide from the rest. you´ve also got superior range and jet packs.

about the basilisks turning your battlesuits into craters the best option you´ve got is to deepstrike them suicidal style and destroy the basilisks. even if your suits get wiped out if you destroy the basilisks they´ve done they´re job. i know finding a spot to deepstrike against guard can be tricky but if there´s no spot just create it by concentrating your firepower in that spot. any fireknife can cut through the basilisk side armour like an hot knife through butter.

cheers
Old 03 Mar 2006, 13:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to GunSpider Send a message via Skype™ to GunSpider

Well, now that the stealth teams can carry up to two fusion blasters...they wouldnt seem a bad deepstrike choice either, maybe a small group of three and 2 of them with FB's. and use the terrain for your own advantage.