Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] SM get Tau Shooting Lessons (1st installment)
Closed Thread
Old 28 Feb 2006, 13:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default [BatRep] SM get Tau Shooting Lessons (1st installment)

Last Saturday, I entered my largest event to date with 40k. There were 20+ gamers. I was the only Tau player. Below is my list:

HQ
'el fireknife + BSF 88
'el fireknife 85

Elite
Crisis fireknife/7 72
Crisis fireknife/7 72
stealth x5 bonded 160

Heavy
BSx2 TLRG/SMS/MT/SG
1xBSF/1xTL 208
HH RG/BC/MT/TL/DL 175
HH Ion/BC/MT/TL/DL/BSF 160

Fast
Drones x6 72
Drones x6 72

Troops
10 FW bonded 110
10 FW bonded 110
10 FW bonded 110
12 FW 120
DF TL/DL/TA 95
kroot x10 70
kroot x10 70

TOTAL 1849

First match: Shooty SM on moderately hilly table.

This opponant set up his army spread across the deployment zone. It was all infantry, no vehicles at all. 3 dev. squads full of lascannons and heavy bolters, an 8 man assault squad with chaplan, a full command squad with chapter master. All other tac squads had lascannons or heavy bolters. The special rules were to get extra 200 v pts if your HQ killed the enemy HQ. No worries there for me

He got first go and to my surprize he only move forward with teh command squad and the assult marines. All others sat back and shot. All that could be seen were kroot and 2 FW squads all in cover. However, he plinked a few and forced me to seek cover in my go. All other squads sat back, I guess expecting me to charge forward from behind the ridgeline that hid my entire army. In my turn 1, I JSJ with all crisis and move 2 HH out in center left; all open up on 2 moving units of SM and cut them in half. On far left 1 FW squad moves forward to rapid fire range and shoots down more command squad. On far right stealth, 1 crisis, and 2 kroot bands begin shooting duel with flank devistator squad and 2 landspeeders. Both landspeeders are shot down, and devistators take a KIA from kroot who wee infiltrated into a 3+ ruin in center of table.

Next turn his dred moves towards kroot in center and his assaulters (having fallen back) regroup in center. His command squad on my left moves up to assault sacrificial FW squad. All other parts of my army, save kroot, 1 HH, and 2 BS are hidden. His lascannons take out one BS and one HH gets shaken, all other fires go to whittle down sacrifical FW squad and kroot. I loose 4 kroot to shooting and a FW. He charges the FW and routes them, but can only consolidate since there were no models in contact. Bonded FW regroup at rapid fire range in my turn and shoot down 2 more command squad. Ionhead 2 crisis, 2 FW squads, and a BS make short work of remaining command squad leaving only chapter master with 2 wounds. Stealth and kroot continue to shoot up devistator squad killing 2 more. One squadron of drones DS behind his assault marines and kill off 3! His chaplan is all that is left. chaplan fails leadership and falls back, master passes and charges FW again in next turn.

Turn 4, not much for him to do, so he wasted the central kroot who had foolishly moved forward to charge plasma armed dev squad but forgot and rapid fired instead to no effect. Other kroot mob is finally gunned down as well. It was nice to see 140pts of kroot with 72pt crisis and 160pts of stealth occupy nearly 700pts of enemy for 3.5 turns. ;D Of course, his master defeats and kills off entire remaining FW squad and consolidates onto nose of ionhead. The other BS gets burned down by lascannon fire. Nothing else for him to shoot... He starts moving tac squads in support of the dread towards my right where I have only stealth and 1 crisis left behind a hill.

Inmy turn 4, the chaplan and master are gunned down, 2 tac squads are rendered non-scoring, and the dev squad on my right are finally blown away by stealth. The dread looses his assault cannon to railgun shot, and essentially the game is over I my view.

Turn 5, nothing but him trying to move up and me shooting him down.

turn 6, he wants badly to get some points but it is over since his troops are all footsloggers who waited until turn 4 to move.

Major victory!

next installments: Orks from Hell on bikes and Iron Warriors meet the kroot.

Wanax
Old 28 Feb 2006, 17:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: [BatRep] SM get Tau Shooting Lessons (1st installment)

Get in!

Always nice to see marines getting decked, especially with a nice troop heavy tau army (planning on using one myself).

I have 200 points left in my army, and 1 of each slot remaining, what would you suggest that will be usefull against the tournament armies you faced?
Old 28 Feb 2006, 18:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolflame616
Get in!

Always nice to see marines getting decked, especially with a nice troop heavy tau army (planning on using one myself).

I have 200 points left in my army, and 1 of each slot remaining, what would you suggest that will be usefull against the tournament armies you faced?
I really wish I'd had 2 more crisis and another stealth team honestly, but I didn't have the models. I'm almost done with DF as a major player in my army. I would ditch the BS if not for the new codex giving them slow and purposeful as well as fixing the majority toughness drone issue.

I like FW to hold the line. I usually fight with kroot in front, FW in main line with everything else supporting the FW line. When moving, I use the DF loaded with 10 FW supported by stealth, crisis and BS fires.

It really depends on how you play. I like to concentrate everything on 1 unit per turn if possible. I start by killing things that move fast or shoot hard, then I start whittling down troops

Wanax
Old 28 Feb 2006, 20:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have 2 railheads, and i was wondering if it would be viable to get another unit of 2 crisis suits, and add 2(BS4) XV25s to my unit, for the points i have left? maybe suits with plasma/fusion/MT

Or is the last heavy support choice that essential?
Old 01 Mar 2006, 16:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

sorry for dp.
Old 01 Mar 2006, 16:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolflame616
I have 2 railheads, and i was wondering if it would be viable to get another unit of 2 crisis suits, and add 2(BS4) XV25s to my unit, for the points i have left? maybe suits with plasma/fusion/MT

Or is the last heavy support choice that essential?
I'm not a fan of fusion myself, as I find more shots from TLPd to be more effective over the life of the game.

I'm interested in the xv25, but haven't read codex yet. Stealth are always good.

If you notice, I only have 1 fast attack slot open in the force org chart...that will be my pirranahs
Wanax
Closed Thread