Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Police
Reply
Old 28 Feb 2006, 11:55   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Behind you
Posts: 19,399
Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Tau Police

Now I did a search for this and did not find anything so hear goes.

Do Tau have a police force? I would say no, as crime will be contrary to the Greater Good, but, what about the other races? They might not have as much respect for it, so would a police force be necessary?
Second, if such a force was necessary, what would it be made up from? Shas? Although they are more warrior than "cop". But then I couldn't picture an Earth caste or others doing it.

So any ideas? Again, I doubt they do, but just wondered what everyone thought.
__________________
[quote]Thou shalt not crave thy neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 11:57   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: On the Midnight Ocean
Posts: 26,404
Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Tau Police

Yes they do; the Shas.

"Police" are rarely needed in Tau society, but whenever such a role is needed, be it someone to patrol the streets at night, or provide honour-guard to an Aun, the Shas will do it.
__________________
Farewell, Kangaroo Joe, you shall not be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 12:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,510
Default Re: Tau Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenKnowledge
Now I did a search for this and did not find anything so hear goes.

Do Tau have a police force? I would say no, as crime will be contrary to the Greater Good, but, what about the other races? They might not have as much respect for it, so would a police force be necessary?
Second, if such a force was necessary, what would it be made up from? Shas? Although they are more warrior than "cop". But then I couldn't picture an Earth caste or others doing it.

So any ideas? Again, I doubt they do, but just wondered what everyone thought.
In Firewarrior there is a mention about trainees (Shas'Saal if I remember correctly) and Shas'La being used as "police". Kais remembers back to times when he was patrolling streets of T'au (I believe the quote was something like "near crimeless streets"). I donīt think crimes happen that much in Tau worlds, and their society is more geared towards helping criminals then punishing them.

More "cosmopolitan" worlds propably have more police, as aliens are present.
LordDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 12:18   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Behind you
Posts: 19,399
Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Tau Police

Ah, I assumed correctly. I did not think that Tau would break the law, but you know what aliens are like.
Makes sense that Shas would do it as well.
__________________
[quote]Thou shalt not crave thy neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 17:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wick
Posts: 704
Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau
Default Re: Tau Police

I'm guessing ethereals or at least shas'o's will form a council that acts like a court then? (if that makes sense.) ???
__________________
Mr.Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 17:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,096
Default Re: Tau Police

This topic just made me wonder, what do you think Tau Shas serving as police would use as non lethal weaponry?

Would Tau perhaps have some sort of stun gun? Or maybe just fire a flurry of photon grenades at the lawbreakers?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04
Falstead, you're a genius!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 17:23   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: On the Midnight Ocean
Posts: 26,404
Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Tau Police

The threat of a pulse rifle blowing the back of your skull out should ensure people do as they are told.
__________________
Farewell, Kangaroo Joe, you shall not be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 17:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,096
Default Re: Tau Police

I dunno that seems unlikely to me.

I'd imagine Tau police forces using carbines instead of rifles. The more flexible and mobile nature would be useful for rapid response and close quaters fighting/arrests, which are probably the types of situations they'd be in.

And as I mentioned above, phonton grenades would be useful for stunning/incapaciting people even temporarily.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04
Falstead, you're a genius!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 17:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wick
Posts: 704
Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau
Default Re: Tau Police

I wouldn't think that tau police would resort to that kind of fire-power probably a lite stun gun at the very most, unless it was seriously out of hand, i.e a rebel tau launching pulse rifle shots at people in a crazy sort of manner. (unlikely to happen, just an example)

Could always have an aun on patrol with you, ahh pheremones...... O0
__________________
Mr.Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 18:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 443
Default Re: Tau Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
I dunno that seems unlikely to me.

I'd imagine Tau police forces using carbines instead of rifles. The more flexible and mobile nature would be useful for rapid response and close quaters fighting/arrests, which are probably the types of situations they'd be in.

And as I mentioned above, phonton grenades would be useful for stunning/incapaciting people even temporarily.
Photon nades seems the likely choice here.
Savient is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The PC Police (Literally) Are At It Again Restayvien Serious Debate and Discussion 63 30 Jul 2008 16:42
Tau Police? BurntEskimo 40K Universe 22 23 Jun 2007 16:54
Police state known as britain... Nightmare Serious Debate and Discussion 67 10 Jun 2007 07:40
Tau Police State Silverwing Tau 66 21 Oct 2006 12:36
Police conduct the_vilest_worm Serious Debate and Discussion 3 07 Jan 2006 06:52