Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Obliterators of Doom...
Old 28 Feb 2006, 09:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Obliterators of Doom...

I was wondering if anybody else has encountered the 9 Obliterators of Doom Iron warrior army.

I had a bad experience recently with that kind of army... I managed to take a draw but only barely. That is the reason I tried to make some statistics versus Obliterators (Toughness Marine+1, Armour Save+Invarunable save: Termi).

In order for you to follow the statistics I am using the following method:
No of models*No of shots*Chance to hit*Chance to wound*Chance to fail save

3 Crisis (MP+PR config,TA->BS 4):Rapid fire PR 3*2*2/3*2/3*2/3=1.778 wounds
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * PR 3*1*2/3*2/3*2/3=0.889 wounds
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * MP 3*2*2/3*5/6*1/6= 0.55 wounds
3 Crisis (PR+FB config, TA)* * * * * * Rapid fire PR 3*2*2/3*2/3*2/3=1.778 wounds
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** PR 3*1*2/3*2/3*2/3=0.889 wounds
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** FB 3*1*2/3*5/6*2/3=1.111 wounds
Hammerhead* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** Ion 1*3*2/3*5/6*1/6=0.277 wounds
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Rail 1*1*2/3*5/6*2/3=0.370 kills
FOF (12FW+FishBurstCannon)* * * * * * * * * * * * * ** 27*1/2*1/2*1/6= 1.125 wounds
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** +2* Drones 2*(1/3+1/6)*1/2*1/6=0.083 wounds
3 Broadsides* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** Rail 3*(1/2+1/4)*5/6*2/3=1.25 kills

As you can clearly see there is nothing in Tau Army that can effectively deal with 9 Obliterators...

Any ideas people????

PS. Sorry if there is an older topic dealing about this, but I haven't found it...

PS2. My conclusions don't derive only by the statistics I presented. The fact that we cannot deal with them comes if you consider what they can do to any one of the above mentioned units...
Mad Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 09:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Obliterators of Doom...

Obliterators are nasty. All a Chaos player I played against had left was one Marine squad and 3 Obliterators. I had 2 Fire Warrior Teams, a Broadside, two Crisis Suits, and a Hammerhead. He won. His marine squad killed one suit.

The standard "sit back and wait for them to run into my guns" that is usually so effective with Tau dosen't work against obliterators. They can outrange most of your non - railgun units. Given the fact that they can all morph lascannons or krak missiles to take out your railgun units you have to be very careful whilst fighting them.

It's not really that hard to get in range though. The problem is you can't run forward at them whilst the rest of the army is running forward at you! And they are solid enough to take casual amounts of fire.

As for an effective way to kill them I really don't know. Espescially 9 of them. I have enough problems with three!

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 09:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Theres nothing in the Tau army that can deal with Space Marines.
Theres nothing in the Tau army that can deal with Basilisks.
Theres nothing in the Tau army that can deal with Talos'.
Theres nothing in the Tau army that can deal with Bloodthirsters.
Theres nothing in the Tau army that can deal with C'tan.

The Tau can't go toe to toe with anything, in the long run they will always loose.

Tau are all about mobility and strategy over pure firepower or toughness. Use the terrain to negate his shots, all the while cutting his obliterators down one by one....default victory.

Large points in a few models that are slow as hell. This gives you command of the field and reduces what you have to kill to win. Kill everything else and those Oblits won't have a chance in hell.

The Tau do have something to cope with Obliterators, and everything else the galaxy throws at them, its called a brain.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Rechar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 09:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I agree with rechar on this one, your biggest weapon is your mobility.

If he has 9 obliterators just make it so that only 3 can see you at any one time (or none!)

then you can start focussing fusion,plasma and railgun fire ate 1 unit at a time, theyll add up pretty quick.
Also i think stealth suits might be a good idea, with their high volume of STR5, people still fail 2+ armour saves.
coolflame616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 09:53   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

'Using your mobility' is easier said than done. I recently played a 9 obliterator army and got beaten heavily. Thing is with 3 squads, the obliterators can cover a lot of the table and what you can't hide gets shot. I'm somewhat at a loss here myself, they are too dangerous to ignore and too tough to kill easily. I tried concentrating firepower in my game and made no appeciable dent in them over 6 turns. I Think I killed 1 unit and 1 oblit.

If anyone has some examples from games they have played of how to beat the Iron Warriors' finest with Tau could they please let us know.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 09:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Theres nothing in the Tau army that can deal with Talos'

Shas'O with Meltagun.

Theres nothing in the Tau army that can deal with Space Marines.

Sniper Drones. Vespids. Plasma Guns.

Theres nothing in the Tau army that can deal with Basilisks.

Railguns

My point is the Tau can go toe to toe with alot of stuff. But I do agree with you in that Obliterators take intelligence (and luck) to destroy.

Large points in a few models that are slow as hell.

In the case of C'tan this is true. But Obliterators are RANGED. They can morph whatever gun they need to shoot down enemies. Mobility won't save you from a 40' Lascannon. Especially when the board is filled with Chaos Marines charging toward your lines. It cuts down your options abit.

Oblits on there own are cannon fodder. ANYTHING on it's own is cannon fodder. But they are a SUPPORT UNIT! They are not meant to be one man armies. They just are really really annoy you so everything else in the army can clobber you. Or they can clobber you while you are shooting at the rest of the army. There is no such thing as a god unit. I never said there was. All I am saying is that they are a pain. A real pain.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 10:04   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I must agree with Rechar about the mobility and the brain... I kind of done it and that's why I survived... That and the fact that we played Omega so they came one each time.

When they came thoough (with extremely lucky deep striking) they could always see my units (and thus destroying them...)

Ofcourse very helpful would be if somebody had a good experience that could share...
Mad Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 10:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Actually, against obliterators, we need lots of our signature weapon,(IMO), the railgun. There are times when yes, take 6-9 broadsides. This will kill oblits, 1 squad a turn. Instant kill is nice. Remember too, that they have T 4 for instant death, so fusion is good, as well as a lucky seeker missile.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 10:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ketter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris
There are times when yes, take 6-9 broadsides.
I agree. If he's playing 3 teams of 3 Obliterators you can play 3 teams of 3 Broadsides. When the new codex comes out you should equip all of them with ASS and give each team leader 2 shield drones.

Broadsides:
3(shots) * [sup]3[/sup]/[sub]4[/sub](to hit) * [sup]5[/sup]/[sub]6[/sub](to wound) * [sup]2[/sup]/[sub]3[/sub](fail invul save) = [sup]5[/sup]/[sub]4[/sub] dead Obliterators.

Obliterators:
3(shots) * [sup]2[/sup]/[sub]3[/sub](to hit) * [sup]5[/sup]/[sub]6[/sub](to wound) * [sup]1[/sup]/[sub]2[/sub](fail invul save) = [sup]5[/sup]/[sub]6[/sub] dead Shield Drones.

or

3(shots) * [sup]2[/sup]/[sub]3[/sub](to hit) * [sup]5[/sup]/[sub]6[/sub](to wound) = [sup]5[/sup]/[sub]3[/sub] dead Broadsides.

Remember:
  • He has to kill two shield drones before he starts making an impact on your shooting efficiency, while he loses shooting efficiency from the word "go".
  • He doesn't benefit as much from cover since he's already got a 5+ invul save, while you can (and should) take advantage of cover once the shield drones are gone.
Ketter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006, 11:08   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If I know my opponent will take 9 obliterators, then I shall take 9 crisis suits with plasma rifles+fusion blaster +multi, and deepstrike them. each crisis suit is worth less than each obliterator, too. Then, hopefully, I also got some pathfinders (to support the suits) and/or broadsides (railguns insta-kill!) and/or hammerheads (and more railguns!) to finish the survivors.
appleide is offline   Reply With Quote