Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Railgun effectiveness against Rhinos, Predators and Land Raiders.
Closed Thread
Old 28 Feb 2006, 08:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Railgun effectiveness against Rhinos, Predators and Land Raiders.

Recently I played a game with my friends and it was me (tau), my friend (eldar), and 2 other friends (chaos and space marines). What occured during the battle was that I was stuck between which vehicle to target with my railgun. The rhino had a hunter-killer missile, which could damage my hammerhead next turn. The predator and the land raider were too far away to hurt my hammerhead, but highly armoured. My dilemma was: which to target? At the risk of wasting a shot on the Land Raider, but doing serious damage if any at all, or taking a nice easy shot at the rhino, which would DEFINITLY damage it but giving the other vehicles (predator and land raider) to close in.

Could anyone have solved this?

In the end I targeted the Land Raider, blew it up, my friends bright lance blew up the predator, and my other crisis battlesuit with missile pod blew up the rhino on the same turn! HUZZAH!
Old 28 Feb 2006, 10:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Railgun effectiveness against rhinos, predators and land raiders

Tip 1: Plan your order of fire

When i do the movement phase almost all of my targets has a primary and secondary target (i.e. one they WANT to shoot at, and one they CAN). There are some things i will always roll for first, such as my missile pods, my fusion guns and my markerlights. That way, when you get to the railgun turn, you may have less targets to shoot with.

Always use MPs to target transports first, if they fail you can consider shooting it (depends on the cargo). when facing the 3 targets, i would also have gone for the landraider, simply because the tau are the best equipped to do so (4+pen is as good as it gets TBH). predators can also be taken down by flanking missile pod units and FBs and of course seeker missiles.

Old 28 Feb 2006, 11:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Renzokuken

In my personal opinion, targeting there transports should be your number 1 priority, you really don't need a squad of marines up in your face within the next couple of turns, so take out there transport and force them to walk.

Next focus your firepower on whatever is going to do the most damage, spreading your firepower out is probably not a good idea unless your certan you can take out your primary target.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 15:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

looking at your dilema, I think that the landraider or predator gets the railgun. never shoot that thing at transports. Shoot missile pods at them. That is what they are there for. I'm glad you destroyed all the tanks though. On another note, killing rhinos pinns the squad, so you don't have to worry about the squad inside for a turn.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 15:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolflame616
i would also have gone for the landraider, simply because the tau are the best equipped to do so (4+pen is as good as it gets TBH).
This case might have been slightly different, due to the Eldar player's bright lance. A bright lance is equally effective against a land raider or a predator (assuming front armour), but a railgun is more effective against the latter (penetrating on a 3+ rather than a 4+). If I had those two weapons, and those two targets, I think I would assign the railgun to the predator and the bright lance to the land raider.

Your tip about planning order of fire is spot on, though. Single-purpose weapons should be fired first, allowing multi-purpose weapons to shift to their secondary targets if the primaries have been eliminated.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 18:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Railgun effectiveness against Rhinos, Predators and Land Raiders.

Your wrong on that one unfortunately.

against both the predator and landraider the brightlance is inferior to the railgun.

against the pred and LR the brightlance will glance on 4+ and penetrate on 5+
against the pred the railgun will penetrate on a 3+(or2+) and against the LR will penetrate on 4+

Its the AP1 that actually makes the railgun as good as it is against armour, and the eldar reduced armour rule just cant compete with it.

and THAT'S why tau are the bestest of races (little bushism there)

O0
Old 28 Feb 2006, 18:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Take out the Land Raider first. The Railgun is there to take out high armour, so shooting it at a lower-armoured target when there is a high-armoured target is a waste. Tau have plenty of other weapons that can kill Rhinos and Predators- Crisis suits with missile pods, plasma rifles or fusion blasters.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 28 Feb 2006, 19:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Your wrong on that one unfortunately.

against both the predator and landraider the brightlance is inferior to the railgun.

against the pred and LR the brightlance will glance on 4+ and penetrate on 5+
against the pred the railgun will penetrate on a 3+(or2+) and against the LR will penetrate on 4+

Its the AP1 that actually makes the railgun as good as it is against armour, and the eldar reduced armour rule just cant compete with it.

and THAT'S why tau are the bestest of races (little bushism there)

O0
Um i think you meant BEST...i dunno personally probably would have to agree with whizz
Old 28 Feb 2006, 21:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2287
Um i think you meant BEST...i dunno personally probably would have to agree with whizz
Notice the bush-ism que.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 23:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2287
Notice the bush-ism que.
Always be sure to bring freedom to a Land Raider with your railgun before alleviating the suffering of lesser vehicles through your democratic and just usage of other weapons. Submunitions should be used to restore order to groups of scared and confused infantry thereafter.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Closed Thread