Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wargear: The most UNDERRATED Tau weapons (if you can even call them that)
Closed Thread
Old 27 Feb 2006, 23:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Wargear: The most UNDERRATED Tau weapons (if you can even call them that)

EMP grenades.

Plain and simple. The only foot trooper weapon capable for bringing down a Landraider. And the only 3pt weapon capable of killing a 250pts of Tank.

Now, this involves getting close. Real close. The answer, City Fight.

Landraider is comming, you move a DF to the end of the street. Deploy your little care package. then move the Df away. When the Raider get close, Charge the fool.

Statisitcs -
12 FWs with EMPs
6 penitrate or glance
2 penetrate
4 glance
1.5 destroyed.

Now lets break down the cost, shall we?
250pt Landraider,
156 pts of Fire warrior.

That means that the 156 pts of Fire Warriors will double thier points earned back, not including their other points earned by shreading infantry.

Well I hope my Rant on EMPs will give you a new light on Tau anti tank Ideas.

Now with EMPs every point the enemy spends on anti tank will be useless, while you can easily destroy any tank you encounter.

The Mothman
Old 27 Feb 2006, 23:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Wargear: The most UNDERRATED Tau weapons (if you can even call them that)

Very true, but only really applicable in Cityfight I find.

Normally, if my Fire Warriors are in a position where they could use EMP's I've made a horrendous mistake, or I've been a bit over-zealous with my movement in Devilfish. I would much prefer to take out all vehicles with Battlesuits and Tanks, and leave the Fire Warriors free to take out the infantry.

I never equip my Fire Warriors with EMP's, simply because they will never get into a situation to use them. But then, I havent played a Cityfight game with my Tau for some long time....
Old 27 Feb 2006, 23:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Wargear: The most UNDERRATED Tau weapons (if you can even call them that)

The only good board at my gameing club is a city fight, and thier they are magic. Worth thier weight in railguns.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 00:01   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

good idea. i used to take a DF squad for just that role and it worked for quite a while too

Old 28 Feb 2006, 00:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Normally, if my Fire Warriors are in a position where they could use EMP's I've made a horrendous mistake
~ Dhaphaos

well it is a sacrifice one must make. The only other unit you would want to assault a tank would be kroot, and then it wouldn't really be worth it.

for 6 points more per model, you get rapid fire guns with better strength and AP, the ability to ride in a devilfish (which can carry twelve of these guys) and the awesome impact of EMP grenades- tank killing abilities.

Now for the downside: what the Landraider is carrying will Kill your troops. The vehicle, even if destroyed, has deployed its men next to your fire warriors. And if they're space marines, they will kill you.

But here's the upside: you may hold them in melee there for a bit. Thats that much less space marine shooting power against you. And your fire warriors already won back their point value.

AND that landraider is dead. The marines can't go too far now (despite their 3" consolidate after having wiped out your shas'la's.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 00:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I do this alot. Though it is un Tau to sacrifice units, If oyu do it right in city fight, you wont get charges

______FW_ -> ___________________
| LR |
| SM |
| |
| |

See, The Tau are shield from assault by the wall and land raider. + arnt you pinned the turn you get destroyed? So the 'fish could come and save your skinny blue bummy.

Old 28 Feb 2006, 00:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, after seeing Haywire Grenades, and what THEY can do.... EMPs dont look so awesome anymore. :-\
Old 28 Feb 2006, 01:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, Ill take my good ol' EMP over your Eldar Haywire! lol

I dont even know what a Haywire grenade does.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 01:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Haywire grenades are much, much better than emp grenades. That said, even against a terminator stuffed landraider, the fw's can easily gain back their points... AND LIVE.

Remember that when the land raider is destroyed, the troops inside are automatically entangled. They cannot be in combat with you when the vehicle is destroyed, otherwise you shred them as they stumble out of the burning wreck. So you have these terminators sitting inside of a crater.... meanwhile your fish comes back and scoops up your fw's to safety, or your fw's rapidfire the termies, and along with supporting fire, severly damage them.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 01:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Be carefull of RFing against Terminators - 8 wounds caused by 24 shots will only grant a single casualty... under the new codex, even with twin markerlight hits you're still only looking at around 3 casaulties (no mean feat, though... especially in a 5-strong squad).

Another idea is to have the firewarriors covered by a Burning Eye or Helios suit, for "just in case" scenarios.

Solid analysis - Cityfight can make totally underapreciated weapons very deadly.

And Haywire grenades Glance on a 2+ instead of 4+... muchos damage table rolling .
Closed Thread