Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau boarding action
Closed Thread
Old 27 Feb 2006, 12:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tau boarding action

So the Tau obviously have to receive boarding actions from time to time so I was wondering how would they go about this invasion. Tau shotguns, heavy weapons teams, smaller, less equipde but faster Tau battle suits?

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 12:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Re: Tau boarding action

Boarding Party of Tol'Mal'caor
Background: The Boarders of Tol'Mal'caor (Command Spider) are an honoured unit of space warriors. They launch attacks in space using Orcas or Mantas to board and butcher.
Charachter: Kor'O D'Tyr Shas'vre Y'ldei Mal'caor Mont'yr, he is a Kor, but he does use a Crisis Suit.
Themed Units: No kroot, or tanks (but Piranhas are allowed (with removed drone wings they just float around it) Stealth Suits with at least 1 Fusion blaster for blowing open doors, and bulkheads.
Allies and Enemies: same as all my other Tau
Tatics: Keep run around and shoot people.
Scheme: Codex Grey Cloth, and Black armour, codex grey+bleached bone high light, blue and green deatials. (All black glossed to make them look shiney new)
Conversions and Equipment: No arm Bagde, Carbines and Photon grenades. No bare heads.
Favourite Terrian: City Fight/Ships

That is my 8-step format themed boarding army.

Carbines would be used more that Rifles because you cna move with it, and you could possible pin an enemy in place while the rest of the army moves in and blows them away.

Stealth Suits would be used becasue they are smaller and more manvuerable thaqn Crisis suits, so they would be used as Shock troopers in a boarding action.

Hope it helpd

The Mothman of BA
Old 27 Feb 2006, 12:18   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Tau do not "go about" Boarding Actions, they repel them.

However, the Tau seem to have no suitable weapons for such combat. Given their armament, I conclude that a Tau party must abandon the skin-decks altogether (in essence, allowing the enemy to establish a secure beachhead uncontested. It would explain their poor Boarding Value in Gothic).

Instead, the Tau would favour forming powerful gun-walls. Ships would be built so that the skin-deck corridors are at an angle, meaning anyone firing at an attacker will hit an armoured bulkhead should they miss, rather than depressurising the ship. Drones would, naturally, form the first line of defence.

In the case of the mainstay Commerce fleet, Drones may be the only line of defence; Firewarriors are only carried "as standard" in the Commerce Protection Fleet, which is a minority of the Tau's fleet strength.

A Tau's boarding action, therefore, is decided by its turrets. There is no denying that Tau ships are far superior than Imperial, or even Eldar ships at a point blank firefight. Whilst Imperial or Chaos ships have superior main guns, the sheer number of turrets littering a Tau ship's hull, especially the larger ones, means only a fool would close without disabling them first.

Then there is the "flying turret" elements; the Tau will almost certainly have a sub-fighter, or some kind of giant droneship comparable to the Lightning for zero-range intercepting. Massive swarms of drone-controlled fighters would provide a hoard of guns to engage anything that comes towards the ship, making up for lack of ability with numbers.

However, once the ship is breached, it is doomed. Without a Hunter-Cadre (or multiple Hunter-Cadres for Capital Ships), the best the Tau can do is slow down the enemy long enough to remove/destroy key personnel and equipment, or overload their reactor...

Mothman, your force is the sort of force (save your horrendously unfluffy "Kor'O" leader) you might see on a CPF cruiser, or a Cadre-Carrier. Such ships are not, however, the majority in a Tau fleet, and so it would make an exception, rather than a rule. In other words, it is easier to assume there are no Shas at all, or at most, a squad or two of line warriors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 27 Feb 2006, 21:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ah well, I like my Kor'O idea.

And I think that Tau would, Under some circumstances board enemy ships.
1) Their battle ship is too damaged to contiue shooting.
2) The enemy ship is too valuable to destroy ie, carring important people, Tau POWs ect.
3) The Tau are crazy and like to get up close and personal.
4) The Tau need the ship, ie to bolster thier own fleet or to gain knowlage about thier enemy.

There are few situations the Tau might board ships.

Boarders would have carbines, as I said before, Photon grenades and EMP grenades, and Stealth suits with fusion balster.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 22:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If the tau, really had to do a boarding, I say stealth suits would lead the way as you say. Fusion blasters to blow holes of course, but do not underestimate the burst cannon in this game. I would say that burst cannon equipped stealth trooper woudl be the best the tau could send in, backed up with carbine armed fire warriors...

But it would be very rare and such teams are surely of an elite commando type and very rare indeed.

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Old 27 Feb 2006, 22:25   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

the Tau should have some sort of shotgun for boarding actions. i mean its a lightwieght (not like our hunting shotguns) weapon that woul have a spread area of affect. maybe a flamer template for the shotgun representing the spread?

Old 27 Feb 2006, 22:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I doubt it. Carbines are more effective than anything else. + flamer template = assult next turn
Old 27 Feb 2006, 22:34   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Flamers are easily the best weapon for boarding; bake the enemy, leave the hull intact.

When people suggest "Pulse Carbines" and "Fusion Blasters", they are ignoring the skin-deck. 60-90% of the Boarding Action involves securing this deck alone... and on the skin-deck, if you puncture the hull, you're dead. Now, why in the name of the Tau'va would they have weapons that could blow a hole in the hull!?

Fusions and Carbines you use later... but by that time, you're already securely aboard, and really just performing a mop-up. The war for a ship is won and lost at the breach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 27 Feb 2006, 22:35   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

why not as a special weapon for the squad? and when you think about it theres the shotgun and then the other weapons that pin the enemy for another round of shooting ;D

Old 27 Feb 2006, 22:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

But flamers = assault next turn, and tau dont like assault.
+ I doubt a Carbine could breach a hull. Unless it was a little whimpy fighter! Not a Battle Crusier that even Rail Cannons cannon even breach with ease.