Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

In the 40k Universe is there room for words or just abbreviations????
Closed Thread
Old 27 Feb 2006, 00:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Jebz Send a message via Yahoo to Jebz
Default In the 40k Universe is there room for words or just abbreviations????

Hi Guys,

Recently, whilst I have been reading through the large amount of postings within the Interesting Topics forum I have come up with a problem; Abbreviations!!!!!

I would like to say thanks to Mace for the latest translation; ‘MEQ wound’ This I now know deciphers to ‘Marine Equivalent wound’; and means that a marine has been killed. Thanks again Mace.

I am sure that I will come across significant quantities of abbreviations throughout the Tau Online forums. Most of the abbreviations I have encountered thus far have eluded me and this is probably due to the fact that I am new to Tau and 40k.

With the impending release of the new codex: Tau Empire; I believe that there will be even more newbies to follow the Tau’s quest for the Greater Good. This site contains all the expertise needed and will become inundated by new Tau players wishing to be members.

Rawness, between newbies to the Tau and 40k, could really benefit from a key that could display abbreviations, translation, and meaning if required. This could be a read only forum with controlled entries made by admin etc. Users could go to this new forum to find a translation for an abbreviation without it being full of unnecessary comments or debates that could be discussed elsewhere!!

If this type of forum already exists could somebody kindly point me in the right direction because I have searched and cannot find one? ;D

Thanks

Tau Jebz
Old 27 Feb 2006, 00:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: In the 40k Universe is there room for words or just abbreviations????

if it bothers you so much go to general with this and try and write one
Old 27 Feb 2006, 01:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: In the 40k Universe is there room for words or just abbreviations????

In the grim darkness of the far future their are only acronyms... ;D
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 27 Feb 2006, 07:45   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Jebz
Hi Guys,

Recently, whilst I have been reading through the large amount of postings within the Interesting Topics forum I have come up with a problem; Abbreviations!!!!!

I would like to say thanks to Mace for the latest translation; ‘MEQ wound’ This I now know deciphers to ‘Marine Equivalent wound’; and means that a marine has been killed. Thanks again Mace.

I am sure that I will come across significant quantities of abbreviations throughout the Tau Online forums. Most of the abbreviations I have encountered thus far have eluded me and this is probably due to the fact that I am new to Tau and 40k.

With the impending release of the new codex: Tau Empire; I believe that there will be even more newbies to follow the Tau’s quest for the Greater Good. This site contains all the expertise needed and will become inundated by new Tau players wishing to be members.

Rawness, between newbies to the Tau and 40k, could really benefit from a key that could display abbreviations, translation, and meaning if required. This could be a read only forum with controlled entries made by admin etc. Users could go to this new forum to find a translation for an abbreviation without it being full of unnecessary comments or debates that could be discussed elsewhere!!

If this type of forum already exists could somebody kindly point me in the right direction because I have searched and cannot find one? ;D

Thanks

Tau Jebz
Yes i have this problem as well but not nearly to the extent of ehich you do. After repitions of the same Abrv. you will soon know what it means. With the exceptions of stuff like MEQ that i did not know until recently.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 09:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I suppose being the kind soul I am this is something I should look into, although it is not clear whether you are talking about Tau abbreviations or WH40K abbreviations? If it is the later then it would be more suited to just be 1 reference thread stickied in the General 40k board, else a reference thread stickied in the Tau board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! That’s the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 27 Feb 2006, 13:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I make a point to avoid any acronyms in case it confuses new gamers...and also because I'm just an English nerd that hates them in general

I also put special rules in italics and Capitalise proper nouns such as races, troop types and so forth to avoid confusion. It's just another little thing to make reading my often long posts easier

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 27 Feb 2006, 14:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Most of the Tau acronyms are just abbreviations of the wargear. Plasma Rifle becomes PR, Target Lock becomes TL, etc. It is a little lazy, but they are not too hard to decipher. Aside from that, we really just have FoF, which is shorthand for the Fish of Fury maneuever. MEq and GEq are more general terms. A glossary would help, but a lot of these terms are addressed in the tactica under Important Topics.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 14:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Dakka has a decent list of acronyms compiled, although several refer to dakka-only terms. If you come across a term or something, though, it's worth a look:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/Default.as...156&view=topic
Closed Thread