Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can I make a winning list without markerlights?
Closed Thread
Old 26 Feb 2006, 11:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Can I make a winning list without markerlights?

Hi all

As you all know with the new tau 'dex many things changed and i made a list in witch i fill in all i wanted in terms of firepower...
But i didn't put in any markerlights....
ML are really expensive and how should i do if i want to add a manimum markerlight support ?

Do you think i will better get Markerlights off my list?

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 26 Feb 2006, 14:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Cani make a winner list without markerlights?

Markerlights aren't needed to make an effective list, either now or with the new codex. In fact, the only markerlights I'm considering taking will be with sniper drone teams, if at all.

In fact, even with all the changes, I think taking markerlights will still end up being more of a handicap than anything else. They are expensive, usually carried by fragile models and are vulnerable due to moderate range and lack of mobility.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 14:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

when I was looking at starting Tau before, I made a list with no Markerlights that I thought might do well.
with the new Markerlight rules, I might take a couple, but I see them more as a little bonus than something to rely on.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 26 Feb 2006, 16:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

Outside of pathfinder squads the lights cost ALOT, I would not expect to see many lights in most lists tbh.

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 16:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Some people really love the markerlights, while others have no use for them. This usually comes down to play style.

Markerlights are great as support units. This may seem like an obvious statement, but it means in order to be effective, you really have to co-ordinate diverse units. Which isn't too difficult, but is a commitment to how you're going to use your units.

As said before the major drawbacks of markerlights is that they limit the mobility of infantry carrying them (being heavy) and their cost. These are acceptable sacrifices to someone who knows how to get the most out of markerlights, but can really hurt when you don't.

My advice is to either commit to a markerlight heavy style of play or cut them right out. Both ways can make effective, fun armies in my opinion.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 23:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Can I make a winning list without markerlights?

I'm not bothering with markerlights in my new list, I don't see how they will help at all. Most of my firepower is BS4, and most of my list is immune to or easily hides from heavy bolters and other AP4. Static markerlights won't live and a skyray would be too busy getting rid of its own seekers to be of any benefit to the rest of my list.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 23:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It will be interesting to see the two groups of people (lighters and no lighters) diverge once all the details of new Tau kit get worked out. Notice I'm not saying that one group or another is better, but there definately will be two very seperate camps. This is a good thing! One of the things that questioned my Tau loyalties in the past was the fact that a Tau army was a Tau army.. interchangeable, while a SM can be two or twenty very different creations.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Lighter Camp, since my main problem was my suits plain missed when they really shouldnt have. Under the new Codex, the way to fix that goes two ways
1) equip Targeting arrays, and lose a hardpoint
2) keep the suits as-is, and pay for markerlights

I could expound on the problems of each, but I'll save that for a seperate thread.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 01:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn

I, in my personal bias, am going to say no. Markerlights are absolutely critical for any Tau list. Tau are great shooters, but as with all armies, balance upon how efficiently you can weigh your strengths against the enemy's weaknesses. That's the key to markerlights; they're not railguns or plasmas or rail rifles, but they increase the efficiency of everything else.

Efficiency is the killer.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 01:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlydawn
I, in my personal bias, am going to say no. Markerlights are absolutely critical for any Tau list. Tau are great shooters, but as with all armies, balance upon how efficiently you can weigh your strengths against the enemy's weaknesses. That's the key to markerlights; they're not railguns or plasmas or rail rifles, but they increase the efficiency of everything else.

Efficiency is the killer.
Well Stated...
not to mention the ability to negate cover/-checks/+bs/seekers
lights have MANY MANY uses
Old 27 Feb 2006, 14:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The question isn't really whether or not markerlights have many (or helpful) uses....they do. The real questions are:

Can markerlight delivery systems provide enough efficiency increase to justify their cost before they are destroyed?

If the above is true, what is the ideal ratio of markerlights to units supported?

I just can't see it happening. Markerlights need LOS, and only have 36" range. Unless it's mounted on something mobile (Skyray) or stealthed (sniper drones), the light bearing system is very much in harm's way. If the markerlight delivery system (pathfinders seems to be the popular theoretical choice) looks like it will be useful to my opponent, it's going to die, first turn. If not, then it's something that will catch fire from whatever heavy weapons I have left at the end of the turn that can't target any other Tau units (i.e. just about everything).

At least with pathfinders, we're talking about (potentially) a 200ish point unit. You're going to have to get the first turn AND 200 points worth of extra damage from markerlight guidance you wouldn't normally get.

The skyray takes up a valuable HS slot for what? Two markerlights and some missiles that require more markerlights to get off enough shots quickly enough to make a difference? No thanks.

The sniper drones look like the best choice, but you're not getting many markerlights. The big bonus is the unit can hurt just about anything as it is, and it's safe from most return fire. The markerlight support for the drones (or, most likely, other units) is just a bonus.
Closed Thread