Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

help wanted with Campaign Weekend army- starting from scratch.
Closed Thread
Old 25 Feb 2006, 19:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default help wanted with Campaign Weekend army- starting from scratch.

Ok, so after a long time trying to make up my mind, I went for Eldar over Tau to be the next army I made and took to the campaign weekend. So I bought some Eldar stuff. Then they sold all of the tickets to GCN members, so all that was left was Tau.

So, I have to make a 1900 points Tau army in about 2 and a half months. It will be restricted by time and money, as well as a non-standard FOC. I own absolutely no Tau models.

For the 1500 point main army, Tau get to choose betwee the Raid Attacker FOC and the Breakthrough Defender FOC.
Raid Attacker: 1-2 HQ, 1-3 Elites, 0-5 Troops, 0-3 Fast Attack, 0-1 Heavy Support.
Breakthrough Defender: 0-1 HQ, 0-2 Elites, 2-6 Troops, 0-1 Fast Attack, 0-2 Heavy Support.

As the Raid Attacker limits you to one Heavy Support choice, and I like Tau Heavy Support, I'm going to go with the Breakthrough Defender (although an army purely of Crisis, Stealth and Broadside suits would be interesting). Tau armies using the

Players also need to take a 400pt Combat Patrol army, with the following FOC: 0-1 HQ, 0-2 Elites, 1-4 Troops, 0-2 Fast Attack, 0-1 Heavy Support.

So, bearing in mind those things, and the fact that the army will only be facing Imperial armies, here's what I've come up with so far:

[size=15pt]1500 Points Tau List- Breakthrough Defender FOC[/size]

[size=15pt]HQ[/size]

Commander (probably Shas'o) with Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, target lock, multi-tracker, possible shield drones
2 Bodyguard with Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, one with target lock, multi-tracker

[size=15pt]Elites[/size]

6 Stealth suits (XV-15) with burst cannons, no upgrades

6 Stealth suits (XV-25) with 2 fusion blasters. possibly target locks on the two fusion blaster guys, and a system (maybe targeting array) for the rest of the unit; possibly targeting arrays on the fusion blasters and target locks on the rest of the unit (but I prefer the first idea- can fire one at one tank; if I miss, second one can target same tank or different tank).

[size=15pt]Troops[/size]

10 Fire Warriors in Devilfish, probably all with Pulse Rifles
10 Fire Warriors in Devilfish, probably all with Pulse Rifles

10 Kroot
10 Kroot

[size=15pt]Heavy Support[/size]

Railhead
Railhead
2 Sniper Drone teams (under the rules for the campaign, 2 sniper drone teams can be taken without using a FOC slot)

[size=15pt]400point Tau Combat Patrol Doubles[/size]

10/12 Firewarriors
10/12 Kroot
2 or 3 single Crisis suits with plasma rifle and missile pod, multi-tracker

What do you guys think?
I've considered dropping all the tanks and making it gunline Tau, with Broadsides instead of Hammerheads. But three things: 1) I like Tau tanks; 2) Broadsides cost a lot of money (4 Broadsides= 3 Hammerheads); 3) I need to get two of the new Battleforce box when it comes out (to get the Stealth suits in time), so I'll have two devilfish.

all advice gratefully received.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 25 Feb 2006, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: help wanted with Campaign Weekend army- starting from scratch.

Your HQ - why target locks? The only gun really worth splitting with is the fusion, and that short range makes it hard to find 2 targets. I suppose you can spread the unit out quite a bit, especially with shield drones, so you can reach both targets... I would definitely take shield drones with this unit.

Elites - I'm not a fan of fusion on stealths, it dilutes their purpose. The targetting array increases your efficiency exactly as much as adding more stealths - only to be used if your elites slots are maxed out. Which they are. So go ahead and take the TAs. Your opponents will definitely focus on your stealths though.

Quote:
can fire one at one tank; if I miss, second one can target same tank or different tank
Can't do that - all firing in a unit is declared simultaneously.

Troops - nothing to complain about here.

Heavy - I love ionheads, but I guess with all that fusion you don't really need one. The rails are fine.

Pretty good lists overall.
Old 25 Feb 2006, 22:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well, the target locks were in case I get a couple of nice juicy vehicle targets to choose from, which might well be the case in imperial armies. I'm expecting lots of Rhinos and Chimeras, as well as heavier tanks.

I have thought about just taking two units of basic, un-upgraded Stealth suits, but I thought that the fusion might come in handy.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 25 Feb 2006, 23:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm....

The Shas'o looks good, as with his unit, but I'm not too crazy about the blasters for 2 reasons.
1. Short ranged
2. Not very compatible with plasma rifles
Seeing as the suits have fusion blasters, that should be enough close-range devastation for you. If not, well, personal preference as always.

I would consider missile pods, as they are, while being common, very versatile.

The Stealth Suits look great... I really can't wait to see what the fusion will do when infiltrated!

The troops look great, and the only thing I can see that could be improved is the absence of a markerlight... Seeing as these are mobile FW squads, it would make a great assistance to the Railheads aiming capabilities.

Fast Attack: I love when people [like myself] don't take fast attack... Ah, firepower!

Heavy Support: Lookin' great... Versatile, and deadly, the Railheads should work out well. What sort of drones are on it?
Seeing as I don't know the sniper rules...

Everything looks good!

Good luck!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 26 Feb 2006, 00:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

not picked all of the options yet, as I won't be able to write up a proper list until I get some time with the new Codex at my store.

was thinking of putting target lock and markerlights on my Fire Warrior team leaders.

Sniper Drones get stealth fields and rail rifles amongst other stuff, so they're pretty hard to shoot if the enemy's over the other side of the table.

I have considered plasma-missile pods and fusion-missile pods. while the former is most versatile and the latter better against vehicles, neiter has the terminator-melting goodness of plasma-fusion.

GENDARME WING
Closed Thread