Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New weapons, Pictures wrong way round?
Closed Thread
Old 24 Feb 2006, 20:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New weapons, Pictures wrong way round?

I was just looking at my copy of the new codex and the new WD too, and am convinced that the pictures or captions are the wrong way round.* Here's why:

GW have certain design features with different weapon types, i.e. All plasma weapons have a round muzzle with side vents and las weapons have the muzzle with the overhanging flash suppressor.

If you look at the back of the weapon labelled airbursting frag launcher it shares a lot of the design features with the ion cannon see p57, it still has 4 barrels per the description.* The weapon labelled cyclic ion blaster shares no design features with the ion cannon.

Thus I am convinced the printed descriptions are the wrong way round.

Do you agree, or am I just making stuff up?* (I do have the new codex BTW)
Old 24 Feb 2006, 20:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: New weapons, Pictures wrong way round?

Personally i agree, The cyclonic ion blaster looks to me like a quad grenade launcher, and its what ill be using (shoulder mounted aiming up ) as my Airburst fragmentations launcher.

Also the airburst model actually looks like it can rotate its barrel, which is what assume a cyclonic ion blaster does when it shoots.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 20:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophaniti
I was just looking at my copy of the new codex and the new WD too, and am convinced that the pictures or captions are the wrong way round. Here's why:

GW have certain design features with different weapon types, i.e. All plasma weapons have a round muzzle with side vents and las weapons have the muzzle with the overhanging flash suppressor.

If you look at the back of the weapon labelled airbursting frag launcher it shares a lot of the design features with the ion cannon see p57 ...
If you think so.
I have looked closely at both photos and disagree.

The vents on the Ion Cannon are at the front of the barrel cowling section and run along the lower portion of the cowling across the bottom and just start up the sides.

The AFL has some vent port located along rear sides of the barrel cowling, behind a segmentation break in the cowling (not present on the Ion Cannon cowling) and the vents are in the sides of the cowling only, meaning they do not wrap around. Most likely they have been placed there to provide vents for the discharge from the launched fragmentation drones of the weapon.

Quote:
... The weapon labelled cyclic ion blaster shares no design features with the ion cannon.
And yet the description of the Cyclic Ion Blaster in the Armoury section makes no mention that it is derived from the same technology that is used for the Ion Cannon.
Unlike the description of say the Rail Rifles for example, which specifically reference their big brothers as influencing their design in the Rail Rifle's entry.

So I will have to disagree with the photos being improprely labelled.

Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 24 Feb 2006, 21:15   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Perhaps I ought to clarify exactly which features I'm referring to as I think my first post was a little vague.

Cyclic Ion Blaster (CIB) [lower picture and my opinion] Top rear has an angled plate with three studs on it and 'knobbly bit' Extending out towards the muzzle, this echoes the same features seen on the ion cannon. The muzzle itself resembles three ion cannon muzzles attached flat side to flat side.

What I consider to be the Airburst Fragmentation launcher (AFL) has no features that I can match with anything else.

Regarding the point about rail guns and rail rifles. My inference about the ion weapons comes from them both using the word 'ion' in their description. In a similar way to keywords like 'melta', 'plasma' and
'las[er]'.

Having said all this, as you can only have have one of each weapon in your army it shouldn't make much odds which way round you use them. Just make things clear to your opponent before the game so there are no nasty surprises.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 21:38   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

There's also the Photoshopping we've seen on boxed sets. If that three-barrelled weapon is the "Airburst Fragmentation Launcher", how come they released a pick of it with blue energy crackling up and down it. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Feb 2006, 21:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
There's also the Photoshopping we've seen on boxed sets. If that three-barrelled weapon is the "Airburst Fragmentation Launcher", how come they released a pick of it with blue energy crackling up and down it.
True enough, based on that image it most definitely does look more like an energy weapon and not some sort of projectile launcher it is supposed to be.

Though in the codex they do have a close-up shots for each of the Special Issue Weapon Systems identifying them, and the entry in the Armoury for the Cyclic Ion Blaster specifically states "... generates a rapid stream of ion radiation, unleashing it through its four barrels." Which coincides with the referenced photos showing the weapon with four barrels.

However the AFL is described as "scattering fragmentation bomblets over a wide area ...". Which still does not mesh with the photoshopped image.
I guess maybe the crackling energy just looked cooler.

Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 24 Feb 2006, 22:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Meh. If I actually used either of them on a miniature (not that it will ever happen. I've still got armies to finish I started six months ago... :), I'd use the tri-barrell as the Ion Blaster, and to hell with anyone who doesn't like it. My model, my rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Feb 2006, 22:02   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Two more points.

The front cover of the new 'dex has the other spec. issue weapon with a blue energy discharge too!

The triangular muzzle also has four barrels if you include the central one
Old 24 Feb 2006, 23:09   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

i hate WD they always get my subscription to me way late. i'll probably have the new codex before i have the new WD >. anyway i think something went wrong because a four barelled energy weapon would more likely be less effective against one with what appears to be an opened muzzle. just my opinion

Old 25 Feb 2006, 01:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

The AFL has four barrels too :P (One in the center, and one at each of the three extremeties).

I'd agree with what Prophaniti said - that's what I thought the weapons were since I first saw the pictures.

The (apparent) AFL resembles an Ion Cannon - as mentioned it shares various design features, as for the CIB - it looks like a burst cannon/rotary grenade launcher of some sort. But then the case against that is that the CIB is very similar in operation to a burst cannon, and so resembles a more advanced-looking BC.