Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to make a move-and-shoot Marker Drone.
Closed Thread
Old 23 Feb 2006, 15:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default How to make a move-and-shoot Marker Drone.

hello I'm just munching on a imaginary hat. you may ask why Marc are you eating a imaginary hat. the answer you will get is this i said a while back that there would never be a reason to give marker drones to crisis suits and just found out why i was wrong mildly wrong, that's why I'm munching on an imaginary one instead of a real one.

drones have the same characteristic as there controller there for a drone with a normal crisis suit would gain Jetpack and therefore be able to move 6" in the assault phase. not exactly great. but if you give a crisis suit a A.S.S. as well you then have "slow and purposeful" drones with a jump move.

completely off the price scale but it is a laugh.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 15:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: How to make a move-and-shoot Marker Drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
... drones have the same characteristic as there controller there for a drone with a normal crisis suit would gain Jetpack and therefore be able to move 6" in the assault phase.
Actually I am not sure that is true.

Drone are considered the same "Unit Type" as their controller. I don't think that there is anything stating that they get any benefits that their controller gets for Supports Systems (for example, Vectored Retro-thrusters specifically state that only single models without Drones can take this system - thus preventing any such issues arrising when the model jumps out of combat).

So by my reading of the info, any drones attached to a battlesuit will not benefit from the Advanced Stabilzation System (though their movement is not affect by the system - they would get a normal 6" move).

Per the codex, the Drones attached to a suit will either be Jump Pack/Jet Pack troop (for XV8, XV15/25s, or XV22), or classified as Infantry (for XV88s, Fire Warriors, and/or Pathfinders). I could find nothing in the wargear section that indicates otherwise.
(perhaps someone with better eyes may find such an allowance)

Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 23 Feb 2006, 15:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The only move-and-fire Markerlight besides the Skyray is a Stealth teamleader with Markerlight and an ASS. The problem with this is that the ASS rules say that if one model in the unit has ASS, they all must have it. So all your Stealths need to pay 10 pts for ASS, even though only the teamleader is actually getting use from it. And to add insult to injury, using ASS prevents you from using your assault move
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 23 Feb 2006, 15:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
And to add insult to injury, using ASS prevents you from using your assault move
owh oh well i have to cought up the hat now. at least on the birght side it was an imaginary chav's hat and any thing you do to it is an improvement.

dosnt matter then if the rules dont allow it.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 01:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

actually tonka, the rules state that if one suit has a support system, then they must al have support systems, but may choose seperate ones. You could give the leader the ASS, and the other members targetting arrays for instance.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 01:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolflame616
actually tonka, the rules state that if one suit has a support system, then they must al have support systems, but may choose seperate ones. You could give the leader the ASS, and the other members targetting arrays for instance.

... and the rules for the ASS say that if one model has it, the entire unit must take it.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 24 Feb 2006, 10:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

ah yes that is the exception to the normal rule, how forgetfull of me.

Seems the skyray is indeed the safest option for mobile markerlighting.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 18:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Eh, but does the stealth team really need to move? They may be perfect a small long range marklight unit. Have to wait and see how much that set up will cost though :-\.
Old 25 Feb 2006, 02:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Eh, but does the stealth team really need to move?
not realy. thought if you want to be a right one it perfect as you jump back each turn taking you out of shooting range by anything but ordance barrage. i would rather in the case of stealths make a sitting still stealth team of 5 stealth suit and 12 marker drones and shas'vre with a targeting arry HW drone controller and markerlight. costin in at 560. tonka's stealths set up would be 200 for min squad, 2 marker drones and a shas'vre with markerlight all with A.s.s.
Old 25 Feb 2006, 04:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
tonka's stealths set up would be 200 for min squad, 2 marker drones and a shas'vre with markerlight all with A.s.s.
I never said it was a good idea I just said it was the only other move and fire markerlight in the list (besides the Skyray).

Closed Thread