Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help against mobile Space Marines....
Closed Thread
Old 23 Feb 2006, 02:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Help against mobile Space Marines....

Only played a handful of games so far. My buddy was having trouble against the Tau with a foot-slogging SM force, and has now bought jump packs, and made his army much more mobile as to get in chopping distance quickly. I'm very afraid.

Little help with strategy?
Old 23 Feb 2006, 02:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: Help against mobile Space Marines....

Simplest fact: Assault Marines cost more but die just as easily, plus can't return fire. Their speed means they will definitely come to you with assault alone in mind, so you can just happily blow them away and when they get to within 18" and think it's easy, just step forward and rapid fire them where they stand. This will weaken and even destroy his squads quite easily- remember, an Assault Marine costs twice the price of a Fire Warrior. A Fire Warrior squad in a Devilfish costs the same as a full Assault Squad and should be able to kill them if you play it careful.

Special weapons have even better targets with them rather than Tactical Marines with heavy weapons that can kill them easily and massed bolters. These are the death of Crisis teams and Stealthsuits- you will almost certainly never be within 18" range of them so they can't assault you. If you do so, sacrifice a single suit and take them a turn or two out of combat. It's nasty and they will hate it, but do it.

If he takes transports often...well, that's even easier. Just pop them with missile pods, plasma rifles or even railguns if nothing better is around.

Playing a jump pack and all-assault army is very dangerous against Tau because you lose your shooting power which is surprisingly useful against Crisis teams (who now can just generally do whatever they want) and well...you can beat them in combat anyway. Doing it slightly faster doesn't help you much. I really believe his list will be weaker, not stronger.

What army list are you fielding? Mecha? Hybrid?

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 23 Feb 2006, 03:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Theres one solution: Don't let him near you.

1. Destroy his transports first. They carry the bulk of teh army.

2. Blast the Assault Marines from long range.

Make sure to deploy your units far enough apart to stop him sweeping advancing otno the next one, so that you'll have shots at them all the time.

Good luck!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 23 Feb 2006, 03:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the advice..I'm such a noob. I'd like to field a hybrid army, but currently its pretty much a static list. (I've only gotten one of my DF's painted so far :P)
Old 23 Feb 2006, 05:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Just make sure your units are 6+ inches apart. Be prepared to lose anything that isn't.

Know how much your units can kill. Work the probabilities in your head. You don't want to send 24 fire warriors rapid firing against 8 assault marines, thinking "they MUST kill them!" They won't. You'll get 5 statistically.

And statistics can fail you. Be prepared to use overwhelming force. Do not advance to rapid fire range unless you have it, or if you are sacrificing that squad.

Don't forget that he can jump over you. Keep everything 18+" away, by the end of your turn! Staying out of assault is everything. Make your assault jumps 180 degrees away from the squad.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 06:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would be curious to see what a couple of Ion-Heads could do for you.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 06:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
Just make sure your units are 6+ inches apart. Be prepared to lose anything that isn't.

Know how much your units can kill. Work the probabilities in your head. You don't want to send 24 fire warriors rapid firing against 8 assault marines, thinking "they MUST kill them!" They won't. You'll get 5 statistically.

And statistics can fail you. Be prepared to use overwhelming force. Do not advance to rapid fire range unless you have it, or if you are sacrificing that squad.

Don't forget that he can jump over you. Keep everything 18+" away, by the end of your turn! Staying out of assault is everything. Make your assault jumps 180 degrees away from the squad.
Where can I find a quick reference for statistical unit effectiveness?
Old 23 Feb 2006, 12:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

a quicke over view of how many marines a unit will (on average) take out:

12 warriors @ long range: 1-2 space marines
12 warriors @ short range: 4-5 space marines

3 crisis suits with plasma @ long range: 1 dead marine
3 crisis suits with plasma @ short range: 3-4 dead marines.

So if you have a crisis unit, and a Fish of Fury(FoF) unit, you can expect to either destroy, or reduce an assault squad below its effective strength. maybe throw in a commander, just to make sure its all taken care of.

With your hammerheads and others engage his transports, then rapid fire the marines as they get close.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 20:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would say...

Get some Ion heads, but a few Broadsides should be there to take out anything coming too close to call.

Its insta-kill with re-roll to hit. Gotta love it!
Of course, once theyre in assault, they won't be able to be shot at, but if you have an ethereal, you can re-roll morale checks even of you passed, so you might be able to pull out.

Good luck!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 24 Feb 2006, 01:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

To aid you in offering McCoy the best advice possible, I will give you the rundown on the problematic marine list. I promise not to read the advice that is given.
Blood Angels:
Chaplain and death company. 2 tactical squads 7 marines ML Plaz. Baal predator HB sponsons. Dread AC ML. In larger games add... 2 Tornadoes AC HB. 2 Tactical squads 7marines Laz Plaz. Assault Squad 8 marines 2 flamers
vet with powerfist. Another Baal predator HB sponsons.
I hope this helps.