Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders on foot or should i say "hoofs"
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior
Default Pathfinders on foot or should i say "hoofs"

hey guys i know people have discussed this before but why did gw make pathfinders have to take a devilfish

i think they would be taken more if they were on hoof because the devilfish adds 80pts to their cost no devilfish=-80pts and a 8 man finder team w/shas'ui 106pts

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:12   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Pathfinders on foot or should i say "hoofs"

I am sure they would be taken more. As far as I can tell, GW made them take a Devilfish purely for "character", as it adds little to the unit in terms of mechanics. With markerlights becoming more useful, I am even less likely to waste their fire for a few turns by moving the Pathfinders around in a transport. Their Devilfish will probably be used to protect those occupied by my Fire Warriors, forcing priority checks and such. It may never get within a few feet of the Pathfinders it was purchased for.

That said, the Pathfinders' Devilfish itself is rumoured to be getting some pretty nice upgrades...
Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:15   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

pathfinders should have infiltrate or devilfish otherwise the markerlights are pretty useless and so is their role as scouts

Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_FireWarrior
hey guys i know people have discussed this before but why did gw make pathfinders have to take a devilfish
well how would you get any fast to a battle with out transport?

first its part of the piont cost of the markerlight which 12 pionts for would be a steal.

secondly even if they could infilrate i would take the devil fish instead a pathfinder squad allways get large amount of attention. the devil fish is need to move them out of CC, block path to CC, land prenventing heavy bolter fire.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well they do have a pre-game move, which I think is more usefull with a devilfish.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 01:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

The most annoying thing I had done to me by a Devilfish was to charge headlong towards my lines, get blown up and prevent any line of sight towards the Pathfinder team which could shoot all my units as they advanced closer towards his lines. Hard to explain with words...but basically, my heavy weapons (which hung back) didn't have Line of Sight but his Pathfinders did to everything in my army that did move ahead. Pretty much kept them alive entirely for the cost of the Devilfish.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 23 Feb 2006, 02:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

if your behind the df how could you see him without him seeing you?

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 02:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_FireWarrior
if your behind the df how could you see him without him seeing you?
It was blown up, of course

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 23 Feb 2006, 02:31   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

It sounds like the wreck of the Devilfish caused your forward elements to become cut off from their support in the backfield. While this is hard to do deliberately, adding a little bonus terrain like this is not a bad way to use a Devilfish once its drones or weapons are gone. If you allow landing, it becomes very easy to do. A careful opponent may choose not to fire at it and risk closing their fire lanes, but even then you are controlling the tempo of the game and forcing your opponent to react.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 02:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

You know, I was totally put off by this too. For a year I never touched the pathfinder squad I had setup just because I didnt want to squeeze in the extra 80 points.

When I first used them in a trial run, however, they ended up being the last unit alive on the field, and not for lack of trying. Being able to relocate your pathfinder squad to another position to Markerlight from is infinately usefull - especially when you have the addition of 1 or 2 Rail rifles and just need to get to the side armor of that vehicle.

There IS the downside of not being able to do anything for two turns. (First turn spent loading, second turn spent unloading) - since Markerlights are classified as "heavy" But it does make since. In order to paint a target IRL you need to hold the light on the target for a long period of time.

Closed Thread