Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Usefulness of the Piranha.
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2006, 20:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Usefulness of the Piranha.

I for one forsee many great things for Piranah squadrons in the game. The ability to spend 300 points, and put 5, yes FIVE vehicles down would have a severe demoralizing effect on the enemy. Add the fact that they can move up to 24" per turn, or unload S5 shots apiece, and do not suffer from morale issues, these guys will be a nice compliment to any army out there.

On a side note, I feel that the optimum number to have in a squadron will most likely be 3. This still packs decent firepower, only costs 180 points, and can reasonablly hide behind most terrain.

My 2 cents.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 20:50   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Usefullness of the Piranah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savient
I for one forsee many great things for Piranah squadrons in the game. The ability to spend 300 points, and put 5, yes FIVE vehicles down would have a severe demoralizing effect on the enemy. Add the fact that they can move up to 24" per turn, or unload S5 shots apiece, and do not suffer from morale issues, these guys will be a nice compliment to any army out there.

On a side note, I feel that the optimum number to have in a squadron will most likely be 3. This still packs decent firepower, only costs 180 points, and can reasonablly hide behind most terrain.

My 2 cents.
This means that you're probably going to loose them to heavy bolters or autocannons. I think that Piranahs are good, but they are going to have to hug cover until you use them to set up a crossfire...

I agree that the smaller squad is probably a bit better for it's cost, but five isn't ridiculous or anything. I wouldn't be particularly demoralized by them; I mean, kill off 1-2 and you force a morale check, which tau aren't so good at...
Old 22 Feb 2006, 20:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

Since when do vehicles have morale? better no hurt their feelings, railhead might run off the table.....or not :P

I would think 3*1 works great, rarely will you need more than that.

Heavybolters are actually not too much of a threat with the great av11 front armour (and it is grreat)

In many missions you will want to keep the piranhas alive to take objectives late game so you will be trying to minimize their risk to enemy return fire.

They make for ok troop killing with the bursts and drones and decent antitank/IC instakilling with the fusion blaster.

Since there is a savings box coming out I will be buying 3 myself, likely using 3 in my games aswell, maybe taking out 1 for a squad of pathfinders occasionally.

I am also liking the idea of having 2 piranhas in an army with 2 seekers each, they zoom up the enemy flanks on turn 1, 1 on either side, then I use markerligts to paint a tank or 2 and it takes alot of side hits from the missiles.

If the piranhas have fusion they should be in shooting range the next turn aswell.
Good stuff.

Now how exactly do decoy launchers work on open topped vehicles?
do they reroll 5s or 4s?

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 21:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i agree about making them purely anti-tank. it seems like such a waste to have burst cannons on a vehicle that COULD have an incredible melta gun on it. your not going to do much damage with a burst cannon, even if there are three of them. three fusions guns however...that spells doom for rhinos, predators, vindicators....basilisks....

run 'em up the side behind cover, take advantage of the "glancing only" rule. next turn, fly in and destroy some tanks. super fast fusion guns are AWESOME.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 21:49   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i also lke the idea of flying them up the back and hitting side armoour, as well as that, if the army is lacking static heavy support at the back, you could hold them back for a round and thne rush them up the sides far enough to hit the rear armour of the advancing any assault tanks/transports with fusion gins/markerlights (depending on what else is occurring?)
Old 22 Feb 2006, 22:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

One use for the Pihrana that needs to be mentioned is to augment the FoF.
Fusion blaster would be most helpful ontop of the horrible number of str 5 dice we already throw down.
If burst cannons are used then you add 15 more dice for a 3 pack. 25 for a full 5 pack. Even necron infantry has got to break under that kind of pounding.

Ill be picking up a few to experiment with when thier releaced in plastics.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 22:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Necron infantry will then proceed to move into rapid-fire range and blow the Piranha out of the sky

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Feb 2006, 22:43   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

if enough live >

Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:51   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to DroneCrafter
Default Re: Usefulness of the Piranha.

Piranha up the sides of the table to hit the side armor of the enemy with there seekers is a great idea and may help me some since the guys where i play like to play the long sides of the table so they can get to me quicker, we play on a 4 X 6 foot table
Old 23 Feb 2006, 00:37   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Usefulness of the Piranha.

how about 15 piranhas in 1500 points

all with fusion blasters...

...against armored company

Closed Thread