Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I heard a strange thing...
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default I heard a strange thing...

I heard from a friend of mine who lives in the USA that there TAU are considered one of the most powerful army....

I'm italian and here in italy TAU are considered (4 now >) one of the least powerful army and an army with you can easly win if you play marines or eldar...
I ask you.. why are there such a difference of opinion between the 2 countries??
USA player is it true that TAU are so powerful?

Long live to TAU empire!!

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:12   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to FW-Tau
Default Re: I heard a strange thing...

I guess it is just a matter of opinion. Every army really has it's pro's and con's to me.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:14   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

in my little gaming group [6 people including me] my tau dominate over everyone. espescially against my friends space marines.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:17   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Maybe because we're such intelligent and tactical gamers, we tend to beat all comers. This causes people to dislike us and complain a lot.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I think people believe an army is powerful if they consistently lose to it on account of good players playing it rather than generally being packed with newer gamers.

I think Dark Eldar are a good example of this...if you play a Dark Eldar army, you know you're going to either have a very hard or easy time of it. Certain Craftworld Eldar armies (Alaitoc springs to mind) also are generally viewed here as 'elite' armies in that only very crazy or skilled people play them at all, let alone well. The Tau have never really enjoyed that reputation in my gaming league, where the most powerful armies are reckoned to be horde Tyranids, Iyanden armies and footslogger Orks. In the case of the last two, it's because only very good players play them here. Elsewhere, any could draw fresh gamers that don't play well and the army is seen as weak.

For whatever reason, the Dark Eldar are seen universally as weak. I admit that with certain armies I've played and in Games Workshop store games (back when I played in them), I murdered the Dark Eldar there and also thought they were a pretty sorry excuse for an army...but in league games, Dark Eldar made a mess of me before I learnt how to beat them.

Anything can be beaten.

I'd have to say that the armies I face the rarest are the most powerful (ie most likely to beat me) because only very dedicated gamers play them and they're generally hard to play against without experience. I've only ever played Alaitoc a couple of times, same with Saim-Hann. I played two people ever with Harlequins, a couple with Thousand Sons and Ulthwe Strike Forces. Eldar are not unpopular here (I'd say next to Marines and Chaos, they'd be up there with the Tau for next most popular), but the Craftworld lists aren't used...which is what I like the most about the Eldar, to be honest.

I'd say that, on paper, the deadliest army in the game was either a Tyranid horde force against anyone and everyone, footslogger Orks against a close combat Marine army, Sisters of Battle against a horde army and for finesse...well...I think a Biel-Tann Aspect army could rip apart anything at all, no matter how durable and nightmarishly impossible it was to kill (like the Tyranid swarm).

Tau are anything but overpowered and in my old circles, they'd rate about somewhere in the middle. They're high damage but easy to kill for most people.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Feb 2006, 20:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd say Tau are certainly on the stronger side of 40K. There are certain match-ups that can be tough for Tau (Necrons, drop-pod marines), but on the whole a Tau list can typically be flexible and effective.

I find Tau can really shake up a gaming environment that hasn't has a Tau players before. With mobility and firepower, Tau fight much differently than any other army out there (even Eldar and DE have melee units). When gaming groups focus more and more heavily on melee fights, suddenly facing troops that outmaneuver them and blast them every turn gets frustrating.

While the whole "every army can beat any other army" is partially true, with all other things being equal (player skill, for example) some armies are more effective than others. I'd say orks, for example, are on the weaker end of things.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 22:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxpetronivs
I'd say orks, for example, are on the weaker end of things.
And yet big mobs devastate Marine armies maximised for combat with loads of choppa attacks.

What you say is true, though, there's often a rock-paper-scissors to the game at times. Eldar are known as a shooty army, but have awesome combat troops in terms of Scorpians and Banshees.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I live in the U.S., but I don't think I've really come across that sort of mentality. I've had good luck against my friends Dark Angles, but he points his fingers at specific units, not at the army as a whole. But still, I havent really met anyone with the notion that Tau are one of the most powerful armies.

Except for me of course .
Old 23 Feb 2006, 00:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

The fact is, a noobie Tau army is sad to watch. We need tactics to live.

The great thing is, we can really pull the tactics off well.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 23 Feb 2006, 00:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thank you, MechTau, that is exactly what I wanted to say and you summed it up better than I could. Tau are extremely powerful if used right and are pitiful if used wrong.

Now if only we knew what that right way was all the time...
Closed Thread