Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fish Of Fury in 1000 pt battle
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Fish Of Fury in 1000 pt battle

Basically, im about to start a Tau army and im wondering whether this is a viable tactic in 1,000pt battleforce? Does it work well with one squad, or only two, and is two possible for that point limit. Also, is it still a worthwhile expenditure of points with all the new models coming out, Stationary tau seem to be more appealing. But it seems stationary Armies also take mass casualties in form of Fire Warriors, which doesnt seem a very Tau tactic to use! info much appreciated! O0
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: Fish Of Fury in 1000 pt battle

In small games, stationary firepower is far more important but if you're playing hybrid then take 1 unit of mounted Fire Warriors and 2 if you're Mechanised. Add a couple more units of basic Fire Warriors for the hybrid list and have about 3-4 for a Static force if you want to go down the 'mass infantry firepower' route. Anything else can be blown on tanks and bling.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:15   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is important to draw a distinction between the FoF (which is a maneuver) and the more general strategy of fielding mounted Fire Warriors. The FoF is best employed against an enemy that is more threatening in assault than in shooting, but is also durable enough that a single round of rapid-firing will not destroy or cripple them. The two-fish FoF is a little easier to use and more reliable, but it does concentrate your forces quite a bit. In 1,500 points, I would not expect more than three mounted Fire Warrior teams, even in a Mech army.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
In 1,500 points, I would not expect more than three mounted Fire Warriuor teams, even in a Mech army.
The best way to do this is to think of fielding one unit in a Devilfish per 500pts of army you have, as it takes up a little under half of that for a full squad with a couple of Devilfish upgrades. So in a 2000pt army, you have 4...or just 1 in a 500pt force. Just how I see them for a Mechanised army :P

Old 22 Feb 2006, 20:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

that sounds pretty sensible and at a quick glance leaves me about 500 left over, i'd then be torn between which suits to take, is the manuveurability of a Hammerhead with Railgun much of an asset over a couple of Broadsides with RailGuns? i would of thought the Hammerhead keeps up with the mech side, but it means one chance of hitting and it would appear that it'd end up being the only long-range anti-heavy armour i'd have? Then a two suit Crisis team or Stealth suits? i hadnt thought those much cop until i came on here, but thye seem to be popular so i'm giving them another look.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 20:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

You could get a nice mobile Hammerhead and still have plenty of points left for a reasonable commander and both a couple of Crisis suits AND a few Stealthsuits, so you'd have the option of taking both really or all of one. I'd say to max out on some heavier firepower with your Crisis teams, though the damage potential of even a small Stealth team is not to be ignored. A small squad of each (say...2 Crisis suits and 3 Stealths) allows you a mix and the option to spread all your fast-moving units out a lot so they can combine if needed and dart away to avoid the enemy while your Fire Warriors move in to support them.

Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:52   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well I think that in a 1000 pt. battle it sounds like a good idea 8) 8) 8)
Old 23 Feb 2006, 12:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

In a 1000 point game you can quite comfortably field 2 mounted FW units, a hammerhead, a commander, and a unit fo crisis suits with missile pods.

Missile pods are deadly against AV12 vehices, and chances are you're not going to be facing any AV14 in a 1000 point game, and if you are, well you still have a railgun which is going to hit more likely than not, so i wouldnt be too worried.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 15:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

This topic answers one of my most troublesome questions ^^
I also got a 1k army for a tourney that needs to be made and I have no clue on what to take in what proportions

Coolflame : Havent you got a bit few units ? I mean with a little luck you can lose all ure scoring units??

And how bout instead of the hammerhead take the skyray with a small stealthteam like tonka truck explained?
Or havent you got enough anti tank than
Old 23 Feb 2006, 18:33   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

im curious as to whether to include a squadron of 3 or so piranha's instead of Crisis suits in the 1000 point army, they seem to be similar firepower wise, with the added bonus of super-speedyness / armour / glancing hits etc all the rules vehicles have and are a bit cheaper? plus the models look amazing .
Closed Thread