Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The point of taking mounted Fire warrior teams...
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default The point of taking mounted Fire warrior teams...

Hi.. i'm italian and in italy we rarely see tau players use mounted FW squads (it's even harder to see a tau player place in the first 3 in a tournament)
I saw, reading this forum, that many tau players here use multiple mounted fire warrior teams andwith the new codex coming out i want to ask you something...
A team like this cost like 225 points...isn't it too much for a single (really risky) power shot in the moment you drop the fire warriors?
I have already tried this unit sometimes but We have plenty of goodies in our army to use and i just can't see why using 450 points 1/3 an army for a task like this...
6 man Stealth team costs 180 pts and it's devastating...crisis are pricey too and are indispensable.. Hammerhead is a great tank and we NEED railguns and now we have new and actratting options..were will i find 450 points for this if not in a particular mission?
I thought it was to make the army capable of battle in an offensive role but i think you won't be able to cross the table a strike strongly enough to win the game...

Please make me understand... ??? ???

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: The point of taking mounted Fire warrior teams...

Well, the fact is that I like the look and feel of them, first and foremost. Striking with a Fish of Fury, as what you're speaking of is called, is not the singular usage of Fire Warriors that are mounted. They can be used to secure distant objectives, redeploy to better firing positions, run away faster from something nasty and so forth. It allows them to also support your Crisis teams if they are about to be swamped, much like Stealth teams can as well. A full unit of Stealthsuits throws out 18 shots, a Devilfish and Fire Warrior squad throw out 29 shots. If you want raw firepower, go with the Fire Warriors.

I believe it's in usages beyond just pure killing power that mounted units are useful. Fish and Fury is a nasty trick but it's not the only thing to do every game to every unit you can :

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Feb 2006, 13:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well just shooting wise think of it this way. You could pay 100 points a team to get high powered shots 3 times a game or you could pay standard price to get to shoot once long range and once short range. Its a steal imho.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 15:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

aglim, I think the best answer for you would be to use Tau online's search function and look up the link to the "Mech Tau Bible". This treatise is a comprehensible guide to the doctrine and applied tactics of mounted Tau armies.

The Eldar Rule:

"If any model with the special rule Eldar! is on the battlefield the player may instantly declare victory and arrogantly storm out of the room. They may also claim any models, cash or cookies that are in the room."

I want to put to the record that I wholeheartedly support this rule and think GW should adopt it whenever they redo the Eldar codex. Cash and cookies are always good, and arrogantly storming out is an underrated pasttime
Old 22 Feb 2006, 15:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

I generally don't like the FoF tactic, it seems a waist of points really. I have read the guides and reports etc but i still do not see any great benefits from the waste of points. i prefer my fw's not to be mounted as i can rely on my stealths, kroot, suits and drones etc to be swift, while my fw's fire a battery of shots. Also i am a hybrid player, my tau are not static. ;D
Old 22 Feb 2006, 16:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well i just had my first game (& victory) with my tau army, and i can say the devilfished saved me.

First it protects firewarriors because you can put them inside and hide the vehicle behind cover. Then if your opponent has the first turn, you can jump out using the devilfish to shield your warriors. The fire warriors and DF let rip. If they destroy the devilfish, then you just shielded your fire warriors from his entire army, and given your self a piece of 4+ cover to hide in/behind.

It allowed my firewarriors to engage a target without initial casualties, then protect myself from return fire and secure the objective i had just flown over.

FoF for the win!

Watch the language - Khanaris

Sorry guys i have some crumbs or something stuck under some of my keys so my R an J buttons are a little unreliable

-spelling correcte
Old 22 Feb 2006, 17:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

hmm, I think im going to be tempted to put in a devilfish together with a skyray in my army ^^
Old 22 Feb 2006, 18:20   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

The problem faced by armies with no Devilfish at all is that it can be too easy to draw the more mobile units in the army (Stealths, Crisis) into positions where Fire Warriors back on the board edge can not support them. Mounting Fire Warriors in skimmers keeps them flexible and out of close combat.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 18:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

And what about having...say 2 6 man (tau) FW team?
Only 120 points and you have a 2 perfect land speeder killers and you can focus your army on the most effective elements (stealth, crisis, tanks).

I think 225 points for a high risk team like this is too much for me... but i'm curious and i want to know your point...
Why don't just stay cheap with fire warriors?

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 22 Feb 2006, 18:57   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, min-maxing like that has advantages and disadvantages. By focusing on Hammerheads and suits, you ensure that you are going to be outnumbered by quite a bit. You are focusing on quality rather than quantity of firepower, making you weaker against horde armies. If the objective is take-and-hold, you certainly aren't going to be able to push them off in assault. Also, if you are playing in an environment where composition is scored, you are going to score very poorly.
Closed Thread