Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why do people get scared of armored vehicles?
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Why do people get scared of armored vehicles?

Come on, were are the Tau. Our specialty is taking out heavy vehicles, can anyone say str10 ap1, or what about the fusion cannon. Everytime i come on the forums (as you can see im new) people are always asking how to take out heavy armored vehicles. If i were you i would try to figure out a way to avoid combat more than anything else (hope vespids can help solve this problem). On more thing i like to say, why would a shooty army like tau have most of their forces have a BS3. What was GW thinking, were they crack at the moment?
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Why do people get scared of armored vehicles?

Everyone should be scared of heavily armoured vehicles. Do you have any idea how hard it is to hit, penetrate, and then actually destroy a Land Raider? I was firing 3 Railguns at one a turn and it survived 3 turns! (Just long enough to unleash a ravenous horde of Terminators! )

On more thing i like to say, why would a shooty army like tau have most of their forces have a BS3. What was GW thinking, were they crack at the moment?

Tau are BS3 because they are slightly normal. Space Marines have 20 years of intensive genetic engineering, non - stop training, and hundreds of years of experience to get them shooting as well as they do. Fire Warriors just don't compare.

Also it's for balance reasons. BS4 with S5 AP5 weapons? That would make Fire Warriors 20pts or more. For the basic "grunt" of the Tau army, who has been on the front line for less than three years (once they survive that long they get in a Battlesuit) that's just too expensive.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:49   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy186
Come on, were are the Tau. Our specialty is taking out heavy vehicles, can anyone say str10 ap1, or what about the fusion cannon. Everytime i come on the forums (as you can see im new) people are always asking how to take out heavy armored vehicles.
Railguns miss, Fusion Blasters need to get close, there is more to tank-hunting than having awesome stats for your weapons. The Tau have really got to work for those kills against players who know how to use cover.

There is also one simple, undesputable fact; Tau don't have good tanks. Guard have excellent tanks, Eldar tanks are an abhorrant force of nature, but Tau tanks just want to be both at once, and fail miserably.

It is usually when the Tau face the armoured elite of 40K that the problems start... that or the Land Raider/Monolith. Those things are just annoying.

Quote:
If i were you i would try to figure out a way to avoid combat more than anything else (hope vespids can help solve this problem).
What good is that against players like me? My Guard don't go for combat, we shell you into oblivion. My Eldritch Raiders favour close-range firefights, where combat is a mop-up, not the breaking force. Avoiding combat is only applicable vs Assault armies... many Tau really seem to struggle against an enemy that can outshoot them (and trust me, there are plenty of armies that can).

Quote:
On more thing i like to say, why would a shooty army like tau have most of their forces have a BS3. What was GW thinking, were they crack at the moment?
Do you know what Bs 3 represents? Of course you don't, and I have not the patience to answer this stupid winging argument again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

WOW, chill out there mr. rockstar. LOL, im new so im sorry. Forgive my ignorance. I would have to say though that when you compare the SM army compared to a Tau army dont you think the SM army is a little to overpowered (even compared to other armies)?
Old 22 Feb 2006, 10:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

well of course space marines are overpowered, thats why they sell so well. However there are armies which can absolutele decimate space marines, those being eldar,tau and tyranids.

The eldar do it by having very high speed and some horrendous weapons (STR10 AP1 indirect fire barrage anyone?).

The tyranids do it by having a very high speed and monstrous creatures

The tau do it by sticking plasma guns on every available surface, and with masses (i mean MASSES) of STR 5 fire.

If my bad moon army can kill a space marine army without ever making it into combat, then im very confident that my tau will do just that as well, but faster.

TBH i dont mind BS3 much, as it make out guys cheaper. What i do mind is that the elite of the elite (the crisis suit + bodyguard) only have BS4 if you spend a hardpoint buying it. I mean after like 8 years of fighting you BS should really be 4, but once again BS3 helps to keep costs down. Which allow you to get more guns.

I mean what would you rather have , 12 BS4 pulse rifles or 24 BS3 pulse rifles?
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:01   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Coolflame, Marines are not overpowered. They are underpowered; if we follow Fluff, Marines should have straight 6s.

They are no better or worse than any other army, they are just the most used.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A daemon prince has St6....a marine shouldn't have str6...
The fluff is based on marine talking of themeselves...it's natural that fluss says they are invincible... in fact they aren't, they are stupid blind human just too arrogant...

Marine are strong but not too averpowered (a bit perhaps..but they are the gw main guys)

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Coolflame, Marines are not overpowered. They are underpowered; if we follow Fluff, Marines should have straight 6s.

They are no better or worse than any other army, they are just the most used.
They're not overpowered, they're just good at doing everything in general...but they cost a lot to do it and winning a war isn't just about having the best/strongest individual troops. If your army doesn't fight together or you don't mix it up a bit...or even use terrain, as most Marine players see as a disadvantage existing at all, then Marines are toast against anyone, anti-Marine list or not. Same goes for anyone that doesn't use their army to do multiple things.

I remember a list in White Dwarf about 'Movie Space Marines' that gave them all ridiculously powerful stats and abilities to make them like fluff suggests they are capable of

As for armoured vehicles, a lot of people freak out about them because their lists are maximised for killing masses of troops and countering a well-deployed tank is a real challenge. You can't just say "I'll avoid it!" because yes, this may work against...say...a C'Tan, for instance, but not a vehicle that is being used to hunt you- it's not hiding, remember, it's working it's way towards some goal and unless you like copping loads of pie plates on top of your army, then find a way to destroy it.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Feb 2006, 13:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you ever ask yourself "Why do tau not have bleh" Think of Warhammer without space marines. Space marines are supposed to be an exception and their rules really don't follow the rest of the game. So take space marines completely out of your mind. Now you have to compare tau versus eldar and IG, hey look now they all have the same BS. Its balanced.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 13:28   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
If you ever ask yourself "Why do tau not have bleh" Think of Warhammer without space marines. Space marines are supposed to be an exception and their rules really don't follow the rest of the game. So take space marines completely out of your mind. Now you have to compare tau versus eldar and IG, hey look now they all have the same BS. Its balanced.
That is actually a very good point...

Without "Marines" of any kind, we have the following armies, and the Bs of their basic troops:

Ordo Malleus (Bs 4).
Sisters of Battle (Bs 4).
Guard (Bs 3).
Eldar (Bs 3, Bs 4 for "Aspect" armies).
Dark Eldar (Bs 4).
Orks (Bs 2).
Tau (Bs 3).
Tyranids (Bs 3?).

You'll also find that, with a few exceptions, all armies have almost identical stats. All the above have the same strength, most have the same toughness, armour saves are all pretty much the same (though Sisters are noticably better, Orks the worst, with Tyranids varying), Initiative is pretty tightly matched, with only the Dark Eldar being wildly ahead of anyone else, and Leadership is pretty close too.

Take out Marines, and 40K becomes very balanced indeed...

Quote:
Closed Thread