Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot shaper
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2006, 05:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Kroot shaper

Just wondering how usefull this charming character is when placed in a unit of kroot

"His name doesn't make any sense! How can you be a commander, Aun AND volenteer at the same time!?!"

translated parts of suspicous conversation about the Mal'caor'la 8.05.10990
Old 22 Feb 2006, 05:57   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Kroot shaper

We will need to see if he changes in the new codex. At the moment, I find him to be over-priced for what he does. Kroot are really a hybrid unit, their optimal role falling somewhere between shooting and close-combat. The Shaper really only effects close-combat, and then only to allow the increased armour save and leadership, but this is also a very expensive option. I can usually find better uses for these points, even if they are just used to buy more carnivores for the unit. There are few circumstances where I could really recommend taking a Shaper.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 06:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Khanaris has it. The shaper has the cost of 4 Kroot and the performance of 2 in CC 1 while shooting. The potential armor save he brings is negligible, and costs even more, and he has a side effect of never allowing the Kroot to pursue (if memory serves...heh). One could make the case that he brings an additional point of leadership which can be very valuable, but is it worth it?

Most would probably say no.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 06:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the abilty to soak up wounds and there fore stay in CC is allway useful with kroot. he has his advantages shame about the lack of wargear for him though
Old 22 Feb 2006, 06:23   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33t_m0nk3y
One could make the case that he brings an additional point of leadership which can be very valuable, but is it worth it?
Even then, because of the "Mercenaries" rule, the rest of the squad can not actually use his leadership unless they buy the armour upgrade as well. He has very strange penalties, which make sense in the fluff but translate poorly to the game mechanics.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 06:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Shapers are a bit more useful in the Kroot mercenaries list, where they can select wargear. An eviscerator (8+2d6 armour penetration) allows a unit of Kroot to make a mess of a Dreadnaught rather than futilely beating on its armour.

Unfortunately, you can't take Kroot mercenaries as allies to a Tau list, the way that you can with Imperial Guard, Eldar, Orks, etc.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 12:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I don't think they gain wargear options but in the new codex, I hear from a reliable source (Aunny's FAQ about the codex) that the Eaters of the Dead and Mercenaries rules are eliminated/changed so that I believe all models get a 6+ save, I'd imagine. It's not that big a deal...the Shaper is there for fluff value and style (having a huge 35-model unit, if you go to extremes), as well as Leadership. Without the Inspiring Presence of an Ethereal to guide them, the unit needs more than Ld7 to stand a chance of targeting properly at a distance. In a 10-strong sacrificial unit, don't bother. In a big unit, where you splurge on optional troops (which I consider as a weird kind of 'upgrade'- instead of better guns or power fists, you get a cheap combat model in a Hound), get the Shaper and quit being so cheap about it

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Feb 2006, 16:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

He is an ok squad leader...he's a bit like marmite in that some people hate him, while others love em. ;D

I like shapers, they add survivability with the leadership bump, 6+ save and his number of wounds.
Although yes they are over priced slightly, and the ability that means you cannot pursue can be quite annoying but in general i don't mind it that much.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tau
and the ability that means you cannot pursue can be quite annoying but in general i don't mind it that much.
When facing SM, I find that this ability can be quite useful, since you cant "sweeping advance". Besides, were Tau, let them get out of cc, the'll think the've gotton away, untill we turn all our guns at them ;D.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

In the next Codex, the Eaters of the Dead rule is removed

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Closed Thread