Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Facing 3 Land Raiders
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2006, 03:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Facing 3 Land Raiders

So I'm facing three lander raider transports with a gray knights army (not yet, but strategically, I need to plan) I face it with a balanced 1500 point army.

I'm thinking broadsides so far. AP 10 is the only thing that can hurt their 14 armor all around.

My other idea is lots of kroot to handle the incoming knights.

His army will be small, I can't really hurt the crusaders too much, and the railhead's fire power is too unreliable. The gundrones can't nick 'em, the fusion blasters will be risky - too close.

Let's say I get a ShasO, Static Fire warrior army.

Against such an opponent, i believe Kau yon to be the solution, but I need better reasoning than simply letting them come to my trap. I need a trap to be laid. the tanks can easily rush my kroot and move them or make them run.

he will also have an assassin, either celicuss or eversore.

I don't have the new codex yet, so stealth fusion blasters are out of the question.

One strategy I could try is a heavy suit idea. Mech tau:

2 squads of FW's stay in DF. Broadsides are posted in the back, separated units. The rest of the army is ready to deep strike. The land raiders can either move and deploy their men or fire. with assassin, they will probably eliminate at least one broadside.

1st two turns I play hide and seekwith the devilfish, probably loosing one to either a landraider or a squad of termies.

The third turn, my squads of stealth all deploy around a group of knights and burst cannon them like no tommorrow (say I get three units of six of these guys and max out my elite squad points, that's 54 shots, and say I get gundrones with each one, that's another six) Odds are I hurt the squad pretty bad. One problem. The three squads now have the potential of being within charging range, if the squad survived.

On the third turn, I can also unleash a ShasO with an optional body guard. Although the body guard is not highly recommended as it eliminates IC status, this unit can serve two functions: either an anti armor fusion blaster unit or an anti heavy infantry unit with rapid fire plasmas and/or missile pods and gundrones (cheaper/shootier) or shield drones($$, saves me in shooting phase)

On this said third turn, I can also use the one Fire warrior squad that may have gotten away to move in, burst cannon/ gun drone/ pulse rifle rapid fire at one enemy unit.

And I still haven't handled that eversore/celcius. Odds are I've lost 140 - 210 + points from a dead broadside unit.

Sorry if I sound cynical, but I'm trying to figure out all the things that can go wrong and how to counter them.

Here was my base army idea for this scenario:

3 units of 6 stealth w/ gun drones (636 pts)
1 ShasO with 2 shasvre Body guards with plasma and GD's (278)
2 Units of Broadsides (Base cost w/ target lock: 77 per guy) (154 pts.)
2 Units of Fire Warriors in Devilfish with Multitrackers (420- down to 6 fws apiece - 300)
1 Ethereal in one of those fire warrior squads removing 1 FW(40 overall)
cheapest:1408 with 82 pts of room.

now recall i wanted a balanced list. personally, i far prefer stealth to crisis, hence my preference. anywho, give me some advice here. it's a tough egg to crack!
Old 22 Feb 2006, 03:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: Facing 3 Land Raiders

Ouch. The LRC is a real menace, plowing through almost anything.

Unmounted FW will die fast. Kroot will die even faster.

Bring plasma and Multitrackered Broadsides. Proxy if cost is an issue... they will put some boom chicka wham wham into his army.

And yes, that was rentsy.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 22 Feb 2006, 04:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

You NEED more railguns- it's that simple. Their ability to Penetrate on a 4+ due to AP1 is necessary to take down Land Raiders

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Feb 2006, 04:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well you could take Rails galore, but if you want to be original leaving you with these options

1) fusion blaster: enemies are going to be coming close not a problem then on the melta abilities. a Helios can easily double up on a land raider front

2) seeker missiles: don't suggest it as a main attack at all, but it is there

3) farsight: 2 dice on AV penetration and multiple attack perfect if you like confusing your opponent

4) aun shi has rending attacks but also has emps see bellow

5) EMP: left this is too last because its allways forgotten. every one forgets grenades and they probley the 3rd choice (after fusion,rail) and there pretty good don't know about in tourney setting thought
Old 22 Feb 2006, 05:04   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Good lord. You should annihilate him. Three Land Raiders represent an incredibly bad choice against Tau, even in an army twice that size. By the third turn, the remainders of his army should slowly be walking across the board trying to scrape by with only a minor defeat.

I would take one unit of Broadsides and two Railheads, or two units of Broadsides and a single Railhead. Given how strongly your opponent is weighting Heavy Support, I would not feel bad about doing the same. Stick the Broadsides somewhere where your opponent will have trouble deep-striking a unit. Possibly up against impassable terrain or near the board edge. Use your Stealthsuits to claim objectives or draw off smaller units, but try to avoid becoming heavily engaged. Once you have taken down the Land Raiders, he is not going to be mobile enough to mount much of a threat, especially if you can stop all three by turn 2 (which is likely). I would not allow him any way to claw back points once that happens. Force him to walk.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 05:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

An ethereal is just asking to die... against a land raider/deepstriking army it will be very difficult to hide him safely. It's up to you whether or not you want to risk it. However, railguns are basically the only thing we have against land raiders that work.... that and fusion blasters. If it weren't for the 3 squads of stealthsuits, I'd reccomend 3 plasma/fusion crisis; pop the land raiders, pop the guys inside.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 05:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

Can't you set up a kill zone sort of thing? I mean why don't you put 2 squads of Broadsides on either side of your half, keep all of your things out of his LOS. Kill maybe only one or two of his troops with JSJ Deathrain, and he will eventually be forced to go into your kill zone, where everything will unleash all Mon'Tau on them. Then again I barely know the Grey Knights rules, so there are probably some gaping flaws in this plan. ;D

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 22 Feb 2006, 06:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Deepstriking termies with assault cannons/deepstriking marines with melta guns. Static posistions that aren't near the table edge or a lot of your own troops are gonna get squished.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
Deepstriking termies with assault cannons/deepstriking marines with melta guns. Static posistions that aren't near the table edge or a lot of your own troops are gonna get squished.
The only Assault Cannon a Grey Knight army can field is on his Crusaders, which will be blown up before they get off a shot with some Railgun goodness. Crusaders can't kill your Hammerhead- just slide it right in front and fire off the shots- Grey Knights have practically no anti-tank weapons. Dreadnaughts can have Assault Cannon, of course, but...well...if you can't kill a Dreadnaught with Railguns, there's a big problem

They also can't field meltaguns at all. Yes, a Psycannon will put a world of hurt on a Hammerhead from behind, but any unit that gets this close to your line and doesn't kill the Kroot/Fire Warriors is asking to die. Don't expect all that much by way of Deep-Striking nastiness- only his Terminators can do that sort of thing (basic Grey Knights can, but take a Fast Attack choice and are even weaker).

There's no Stormtroopers in a Grey Knight Only army list, nor Inquisitors to give Orbital Strike OR Assassins. If he is playing an Ordo Malleus army, his little minimised squads of Stormtroopers with melta/plasma weapons will really hurt any suits trying to get near his tanks, making Railguns even more necessary. Also, there's Inquisitors with a Retinue to worry about but be glad that these are either easily killed or ridiculously expensive and still easy to kill. Just blast them with a Submunition shot and most of them are dead in one go- leaving just a shocked Inquisitor behind. Don't ignore units with 3 Heavy Bolters and a Psycannon with meatshields- blast them.

With a Grey Knight army...the targetting mantra is slightly different, to take into account it's lack of Fast Attack options.

Land Raiders/Dreadnaughts/Inquisitors (for Hammerheads) and Terminators (for Fire Warriors/Kroot)

Naturally, if any Deep Strike then toast them straight away with everything you've got. Sheer weight of fire will take down Terminators and the entire army is SLOW, even if it can fire back very well. This means that anything should be dead before it hits your line.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Feb 2006, 12:26   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Don't forget about the Multi-Melta on the Crusader's upper turret. I wouldn't get that close.
Closed Thread