Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactics: Skyray Stealth Infiltration - The Phantom Menace
Closed Thread
Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tactics: Skyray Stealth Infiltration - The Phantom Menace

In preparation for the release of the new Codex, the folks at MTT have begun work on an entirely new set of articles for an entirely new tactical website called The Advanced Tau Academy which will replace The Guide to Mech Tau. As the new name suggests, the site will discuss tactics and strategies relevant to all army playstyles, although obviously the articles are being written by individuals who value mobility!

Every few days, I'm going to post the "beta version" of an article here for comments and critique. When the new codex is realeased, this new site will be available where these articles will be collected. This is the 6th in the series. Here are the others which have been posted thus far:

Tactics: Markerlights - The Beginning
Units: Skyray - The Empire Strikes Back
Units: Broadsides - The Legend Continues
Strategies: Denying Shots - The Last Crusade
Units: Firewarriors - The Next Generation
Tactics: Vespid Assault - 2 Fast 2 Furious

Again, thanks to Shas'El Tael for the wonderful graphics!

[hr]

[size=14pt]Skyray Stealth Infiltration[/size]

The mobility of the Markerlights mounted on the Skyray allow for some devastating flanking maneuvers when paired with a mobile heavy hitter such as a Stealth team. The Stealths can infiltrate into position ahead of time while the Skyray has the speed and range to mark for them from turn 1.

Although having 6 BS5 Burst Cannons moving up a flank is quite an advantage on its own, there are many subtler perks to pairing these two units with one another. Stealths on their own have little in the way of anti-vehicle killing power and have little defense if they find themselves confronted with an AV12+ threat such as a Hellhound or Chimera. In this case, the Skyray can use its Markerlights to launch a pair of Seekers while the Stealths retreat until the threat has been neutralized. Furthermore, including a Markerlight on your Stealth Teamleader can allow you this funcionality even if the Skyray finds itself stunned or shaken.

One of the nifty things about the Skyray is that its primary weapons (Markerlights) are mounted on extremities of the vehicle, meaning that it's even better at making peek-a-boo type attacks than it's heavier cousin the Hammerhead. Of course, in order to take maximum advantage of cover, you will only be able to draw LoS with a single Markerlight, but this may be appropriate if facing off against a Devistator squad or other particularly deadly anti-vehicle threat. This extreme case is shown below:

"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tactics: Skyray Stealth Infiltration - The Phantom Menace

Very astute - I like this analysis. One quick point, though:

Quote:
Stealths on their own have little in the way of anti-vehicle killing power and have little defense if they find themselves confronted with an AV12+ threat such as a Hellhound or Chimera.
What about stealths w/ Fusion? 2 BS5 Fusion Blasters still leaves room from 12 BS5 pulse shots, the only problem being range.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra-Tuisich'Novae
What about stealths w/ Fusion?
Have you played any games with Fusion Stealths? I'm operating on the (pretty safe) assumption that they're... less than useful.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

less than useful putting it mildly... fusion blaster = extreme close range = next turn you're in rapid fire range. :-\
Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I can't honestly see them being overwhelmingly useful...even if you take into account you can take a target lock for the Team Leader with one. There's just simply too many other options to take down tanks

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

In order to safeguard the skyray from return fire using this tactic the stealth team has to be withing 18" of only 1 side of the squad. By forcing the enemy to take casualties from within range, chances are, and remaining men will not be able to draw line of sight to the skyray, and will most likely fail their NF check to see the stealths, as they wil be (14"-18")+6" away(assuming they remain stationary, if the enemy moves, they still wont be able to rapid fire).

A very interesting tactic, and one that i may have to subscribe to once i get my army up and running.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 05:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
you can take a target lock for the Team Leader with one.
you do know they have a support hard piont now? you could take a target lock with any of them. i think fusion will be a useful unit to deep strike with a beacon around. deep strike next to the trouble neutralise it and the stealth field protects you. you may even get 2d6 penturation better than a rail gun.

about the tatical just seam like plain common combined units except the last part which involues being sneeky with terrian
Old 22 Feb 2006, 06:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

T0nka, you never fail to impress me do you? Can you just imagine how useful this would be against Orks or somethin?

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

great job T0nka... I always love reading up on the tactics you and your pals come up with

when's the new site gonna be operational??

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 14:49   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Been lurking here for a bit... First post here.

I've been on the fence about the Skyray lately (the whole Alpha strike or not issue), but I must admit that I really like the idea of teaming up Stealths with the Skyray.
Closed Thread