Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Devilfish is no longer a designated transport.
Closed Thread
Old 21 Feb 2006, 21:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default The Devilfish is no longer a designated transport.

Just so you guys no. Meaning, WE'VE GOT A TAXI!!! It does not say it's a designated transport. It can just zoom around. So cool.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma
Default Re: the divilfish is no longer a designated transport

Someone with the dex or access to one want to check this out asap!

This would be HUGE if it was true, though I find it very unlikely.
Would give mech tau far too many scoring units and a huge advantage over most other races that have normal transports.

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 21:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I think it must be that they just forgot mention it in the Codex...I can't really see it being used as a gunship only or a taxi service :-\

If that was so, why bother even taking it as a Transport? Another Troops choice is a good thing to have, not a bad thing :-\

Care to elaborate on this?

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

hmph! I know what you're up to! you're just trying to get us all to go visit our local game store in a coordinated Tau player avalanche, seen worldwide on Feb 21, in some propaganda ploy, so you can say "I did that!"...

seriously though, I call BS (blow BS whistle and throw appropriately colored BS flag at offender). Maybe the codex is written much the same way as Space Marines was, where the Rhino and Razorback are listed as seperate units, with type designation of "Tank". The thing is, the top of said Rhino/Razorback page spells out that these are dedicated transports and non scoring units. I suspect that the Tau Devilfish entry is much the same way. If you put your blinders on and look at the Devilfish entry, you wont see anything that says "dedicated transport". But trust me, its there somewhere.

Even if it wasnt there clearly in B&W, theres the catch that any unit that has a transport option and takes it means that that taken transport is a dedicated transport for that squad and that squad only. Even a Terminator Chaplain and Retinue's Landraider transport option is in that case a dedicated transport for them only.

Thems the rules. I seriously doubt theres any was to twist or squirm around them.

Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually Land raiders in a space marine army are always scoring units even if they are dedicated transports.

However the rest of the points you made were absolutley correct. Any transport taken as an upgrade for a squad is automatically a dedicated transport. It doesn't need to say dedicated transport in the codex entry because the only way to access it is by taking it as a dedicated transport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I thought he was suggesting you can take them as a separate Troops choice ala the Land Raider as a Heavy Support in a Marine army :P

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Feb 2006, 00:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: The Devilfish is no longer a designated transport.

That seems hard to believe. I am definitely going to need confirmation on this.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 00:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

no. GW is a moron collectively with price increases and favoring Smurfs, but just no. they will not do that. ever. besides, Calaban's right, it would be dedicated if a squad took it as an option

Tau 9/3/0 Space Wolves 50/28/15

RAAAAAARGH!
what now?
raaaaaargh.
oh.

I'll beat you down with my ukos!
whats ukos mean?
never mind
I can chew through metal bars, spit acid, carry in one hand weapons that normal men have to mount on tanks, I'm then ft. tall, can eat rocks, and your telling my I don't get lunch break?!?!?! I bet you do. mmmmhmmmm, riiiiight.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 00:15   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

No to derail but what is the point of the dedicated transport? Have the GW guys never talked to anyone in the military? If I am getting my a$$ shot up in the desert am I supposed to not hop into a HMMWV or M113 because I did not ride out to the fight in it? If my DD takes off early I am still getting a ride home.

Please continue, rant complete
Old 22 Feb 2006, 02:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris
Just so you guys no. Meaning, WE'VE GOT A TAXI!!! It does not say it's a designated transport. It can just zoom around. So cool.
Sorry to disapoint you, the codex very clearly identifies the Devilfish as a Transport, and it can only be selected from the Fire Warrior Team entry and as part of the Pathfinder Team.

Nowhere in the codex can the Devilfish be selected by itself, nor is there any place in the codex with the Devilfish is identified as a scoring unit (or called out as a non-dedicated transport), like the Land Raider is in the Marine Codex.

Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Closed Thread